• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Temporary or permanent??

Blooming

Blooming

The last part of your comment is where I'm currently at. I really like my counsellor. However, I've got to the point where I'm wondering if there are benefits of talking to her now or an I just continuing it because of the attachment I feel. It's expensive so I'm not sure what to do. I don't even think I could stop now even if I want too.
If you feel that you have got your doze of therapy, why not try to stop gradually over a long period?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Many cousellors and individuals feel, we can get all we need from them, learn from them, and then move on.

Sometimes we need a gap of a month or more where all of the information can settle in. A time of reflection. You could end the sessions and book another in 1 or 2 months time.

I think you are probably ready to stop. It is hard, a big change like that and a person lost, but they will always be there if you need to return.

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

I made notes, but having read them multiple times over and had others review it with me, it's just not something I can do. I wasn't thrilled with my therapist for a few reasons, and while she did help me in a few aspects, this was not one of them.

For whatever reason, I just cannot relax. For me, and for decades, there's no "relaxed". There's "my muscles are so tight and tense it's uncomfortable and painful" and little else. Meditation doesn't work for me, the physical and mental exercises she asked me to do had practically zero effect, even after a month of having dedicated myself to it. She tried to tell me to "clear your mind", which is literally impossible for me, irregardless of my levels of receptiveness to treatment.

Zaz

Zaz

Is it possible for anyone to clear their mind. I believe we can calm the mind and allow it to settle but there will always be some form of thought going on in there somewhere even if we are not aware of it. I say that as if I know what I'm talking about. I don't but it felt good lol

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’d say there is no real time to call it “permanent” because we never know what treatments we might eventually get access to that might help us. “Ongoing” might be a better term. xo, j

S

sunkensoul

It's always been a popular expression that "these feelings are temporary" or "this part of your life is temporary" and "It will pass."

When would you consider it permanent??

I know that not just counselling, medication etc will help, I understand that self help had to be a factor too.

I've been speaking to my counsellor for approx 9 months. The care coordinator for about 5 months and on medication for about 4 months. I also try various self help techniques.

Yet I'm still here feeling the same. The only change I guess, is that I'm not attempting suicide every now and then. But I'm still anxious, negative, the myself, don't want to be here, overthink about the past, obsessed with certain things etc.

It feels permanent to me.
It's always been a popular expression that "these feelings are temporary" or "this part of your life is temporary" and "It will pass."

When would you consider it permanent??

I know that not just counselling, medication etc will help, I understand that self help had to be a factor too.

I've been speaking to my counsellor for approx 9 months. The care coordinator for about 5 months and on medication for about 4 months. I also try various self help techniques.

Yet I'm still here feeling the same. The only change I guess, is that I'm not attempting suicide every now and then. But I'm still anxious, negative, the myself, don't want to be here, overthink about the past, obsessed with certain things etc.

It feels permanent to me.
To me that quote pertains more to the current/negative emotions I’m feeling are temporary and will soon pass/settle down. Trauma does not go away, as it is deeply stored in our body, but we do learn how to cope. 2 years medicated and 1.5 years of therapy and 4 diagnoses later I’m still trying to accept the struggle of daily life. It’s easy to lose sight of your progress, especially when it comes to mental health. Journal your mindset and record the smallest of successes as you will be able to look back at the growth when you feel nothing has changed at all. Sending love.