Telling People About Your Disorder

P

paintkirby101

I am bipolar, and also have generalized anxiety disorder and ADHD. I take 6 pills a day for these illnesses, and I am not always comfortable with telling people about this information. Yet people in my family keep telling their friends all the information about my hospitalizations, the medications I take, what they do, and basically everything to do with what I have been through. It makes me extremely uncomfortable to have random people knowing my whole story without me even meeting them. I don't know what to do, and when confronted, my family will just tell me that it's their business to share, because my mental health affects them too. It is true that my mental health does affect my loved ones, but that doesn't mean they should be able to tell anybody they want about my medical records and my personal informations. It's extremely frustrating and I just don't know what to do to cope with the fact that these people, who are strangers to me, know extremely personal information about me without telling them myself.

F

Fancyharm

I had this happen. A family member had no life so shared any of my stuff with neighbours etc.

The neighbours wanting to know we're put before me.

There is nothing you can do but think to yourself that you are better than them as you would respect other people's privacy.

Sad that people gain attention by giving up someone's private business. Especially when it is your own family.

I know it's very hurtful, just try and talk to us in here, people care a lot here.

K

Kelly B

I had a family member do the same thing to me. It felt awful. I don’t know why anyone would feel justified in sharing the most horrific times in my life with other people. Right in front of me too. Almost like I had to be “explained”. It’s insulting.

M

megirl

I was invited to a friends place for Xmas day. As no husband anymore..but anyway we were having a BBQ tea and she starts telling people about me not meant to be drinking alcohol and because she didn't put alcohol in the Xmas plum pudding was because I might be tempted to drink again this is in front of a dozen people that dont know me. She went on and on
I was so pissed off.
But anyway hold your head high as you wouldn't treat others like that. No one really knows what you've been through, and that's there problem.
Try not to take it on board I know that can be hard but you deserve better than that

T

Tabby120

I'd be the jerk to check out their medicine cabinets and listen for them talking about their aches and pains and then do to them what they do to you so they realize how it feels.

K

Kelly B

I was invited to a friends place for Xmas day. As no husband anymore..but anyway we were having a BBQ tea and she starts telling people about me not meant to be drinking alcohol and because she didn't put alcohol in the Xmas plum pudding was because I might be tempted to drink again this is in front of a dozen people that dont know me. She went on and on
I was so pissed off.
But anyway hold your head high as you wouldn't treat others like that. No one really knows what you've been through, and that's there problem.
Try not to take it on board I know that can be hard but you deserve better than that
I mean, I’m 53 years old and made to feel as if I were a 2 year old. There I stand sort of stunned and humiliated wondering WTF JUST HAPPENED??? Bad ending to an otherwise good day. Now when I see those people again the first thing they’ll think is “here comes the crazy lady “. You’re right though...I need to be like Teflon and let it slide right off. What I’d like to do is haul off and nail them right between the eyes and say “damned right I’m crazy”. then walk off into the sunset. I’d never do that but it’s a nice fantasy. 🤔

M

megirl

Yeh I felt my blood boiling it was like "its no-ones fucking business,and actually I have a history of alcohol abuse which is slightly different then alcohol addiction,it has a cause an effect and you have no idea clearly of what this actually is....."
Then I thought just think of something else,as much as I'd love too tell them these things,it won't change anything,I'd be wasting my breath&energy.
Yeh I felt like a naughty child

K

Kelly B

I know, right? It’s bad enough to have to bear the shame and humiliation of how I acted with people I know let alone people I don’t. It’s hard to put it in the past when someone else keeps pointing it out to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen.

M

megirl

The past is the past we've all done things and look back and think Omg!
Guess some people have nothing better to do.
Why people can't just focus on the positive,and mind their own business, I dont know. We deserve better than that

M

megirl

The past is the past we've all done things and look back and think Omg!
Guess some people have nothing better to do.
Why people can't just focus on the positive,and mind their own business, I dont know. We deserve better than that

K

Kelly B

I also had a drinking problem. That gets brought up too even though it’s been a few years since I quit. I sometimes think people have the impression that mentally ill people are also deaf.

M

megirl

You're probably right,
It is quite hurtful,
I stopped drinking this time last year once my marriage split up,it was like I didn't need to drink anymore as I didn't have the stress.
I dont even see myself as having an alcohol related illness.
Its really something that's not currently causing me any difficulties, that's the other thing, why bring it up??
Bringing it up triggers some of the feelings that were causing me to drink,
And congratulations for being able to stop drinking,
For me its like its in remission and its history

K

Kelly B

Same here. Don’t need it. Don’t crave it. Don’t want it. We should get some credit for that. A pat on the back or “good job”. The one person who gives that to me is my 15 year old daughter. She makes all the difference in the world.

M

megirl

Yes,well I was starting drinking again, my support worker and pdoc couldn't work out why, I guess I couldn't see how bad my husbands behaviour was and his bullying was actually triggering me too drink. They were like how come you never said anything to my support people. I just didn't realise how bad things were.
Instead of going on about the bad things why couldn't they say (if they have to say anything) something positive. ?? Something unrelated to personal health issues

K

Kelly B

Agreed. My husband is pretty awesome. He stuck by me through thick and thin and we’ve been married for 17 years. My ex husband, however, was verbally abusive, pushed me around and drank Scotch like it was going out of style. To this day I cannot stand the smell of scotch. It literally turns my stomach. And that’s why he’s an ex. After 6 years of that I hightailed it out of there. I’m so glad I did that. You’re right about people feeling free to discuss you’re medical problems like you’re a “case” to be studied. I should just start carrying my medical records around with me and save everyone a lot of time.