• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Telling friends you love them?

Wynn

Wynn

Something I've been wondering about - do you / should you tell your (platonic) friends that you love them, or is it likely to freak them out or give them the wrong idea?

What do you think? :grouphug:

S

skunkmonkey

Telling someone you love them won't freak them out. It's *how* you tell them that might make them misunderstand.

Wynn

Wynn

Thanks Skunkmonkey! Can you tell me a little more? What sort of 'how' s were you thinking of?

S

skunkmonkey

It mostly comes down to attitude and timing.

A good way to let platonic friends know that you care about them is simply when you thank them for doing something nice for you. There is already a social expectation that you will demonstrate appreciation so it's not likely to be misunderstood. Just say something like "Thanks for X, I love you so much. You're a great friend."

If you're worried about the message coming across wrong then just use social expectations to help you to decide when to tell them. People see what they expect to see most of the time.

When people misunderstand that it's usually because the other person says it at a time that they wouldn't normally expect and they are insecure about themselves when saying it. That makes a person wonder if there is more behind their words than was said.

Just don't over think it. Actions speak louder than words so I'm sure that your friends know that you love them anyway. All you are doing is re-affirming it.

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

i always tell my mates i love em (y)

sallyG

sallyG

I have one platonic male friend who tells me he loves me...and i tell him too...but i dont tell all my friends i love them because i think it may freak them out a bit..

S

*Sapphire*

I tell most my close friends of both sexes that I love them, I think it is one of the most wonderful things in the world to be told by someone that they love you...

I don't do it in a sit down across the table holding hands type of way, but it might be with a hug when I'm leaving or on the phone or if they have done something that I find endearing i'll say "I love you for that!".:)

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

I tell most my close friends of both sexes that I love them, I think it is one of the most wonderful things in the world to be told by someone that they love you...

I don't do it in a sit down across the table holding hands type of way, but it might be with a hug when I'm leaving or on the phone or if they have done something that I find endearing i'll say "I love you for that!".:)
:clap::clap::clap:

J

jamesdean

Sometimes I have so much love going on it breaks my heart when someones not going in the direction that you think is most suitable to your ideas ( its their life after all, which I have to pause n remember someyimes )I can only advise that sometimes its difficut addressing the balance, the love is always there after all some times people have to fly the nest(my heart) but like a bird if theycome back then thats just such a great gift if they dont then you know that they are still in your heart so you know that they are safe its knowing that somepeople are free spirits,I once was a free spirit myself n I used to break my mums heart because she didnt know where the fcuk I was in this world but I always tried to give a phone number to call me on even in ther most diffcult times .

I think if you undser stand love and have no fears of yourself and can handle love like I know that I can because I had a graet listener when I had my breakdown when I was rolling around the sofa each night @my nans she was an all loving woamn (after all my grandad was a womaniser) n she coped with that for 50+ years and still loved him.

There are somany degrees of love you just have to know that loving a friend isnt the same has for eg a mothers love or the love of a pet.

My biggest mistake in this world before I a breakdown was that I gave all my love away before I had given myself any love n so I was a broken soul these days I try to address the balance n look after my own love first because a big rule in this life is that you cannot love any one until you love youyrself.

JD

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

:cool: i am starting to love you too sapphire :p

S

*Sapphire*

Aww thank you NMW, you've made my day, I can feeeel the luuuurrrvvvee on this forum of late! :D

J

jamesdean

I love you too saphire has a pilgrim of christainity and on here at mhf has a friend.:flowers::flower2: