• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

tell me what you think

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
having just returned to this group, I would like your views as to what you think of it and any ideas as to what is missing or wrong. What can we do better :eek: :tea:

By the way, dont belive my avatar, it's a complete lie

M

maudikie

maudikie

As a long time carer I think it is necessary for carers to have a weekly break. This has been fought for and obtained in Cornwall.
I think that the contacts of P.C.Ts and Area Health Authorities could be put on the forum.
I think people with Mental Health problems and their carers could be given more information and support.
I think that it shoudl be ensured that there are enough professionals to cope in the area.
I think that some G.Ps have little knowledge of long-term mental illness, and perhaps a meeting fo G.ps addressed by a Psychiatrist could be of help. This could also includ esocial Workers and C.P.Ns.
I think that the change to Care in the Community could be encouraged for sufficient staff already employed to combine both hospital and community work. e.g. Patients discharged from hospital be visited by one of the nurses from the ward they have been on.
I think that Student nurses could accompany the trained nurses on home visits.
No doubt I shall think of something else before long!

There are a number of sites on the web which are informative regarding research being undertaken in the U.S. in particular, and could be of help,

When we get our new Government "They Work for You " is a good site to follow the debates and find out which M.Ps are sympathetic to mental illness issues - far too few though. But they give a list of M.Ps and Lords who can receive replies to their speaches.:)(y)

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Hi Maudikie, glad your still here.

There is(or was)a special carer group for support in Plymouth. The lady in Plymouth was a member of this forum under the name of seasone2one.
When I first took up this position there was talk of having Wiki's on this site for the purpose of having a permanent source of contact information. (has anyone at the top got information on this)
There used to be a service user group in Plymouth but it was so under the control of the service providors that I walked away from it in disgust.One of the things needed here in Plymouth is an effective and independant service user group. likewise a similar group for carers.
A few weeks ago there was a report that only 1 in 15 G.P's new how to access Psychological services.
I know of cases personally where people were recomended by Psychiatrists for Psychologial intervention. Guess what? These departments did not even exist in Plymouth. Such is the sad and sorry state of Plymouth MH services. Psychiatrists and chemicals are King, and by inference so are the drug companies.

Come on you others , lets have your feedback. :oops::evil::mad:

Last edited:
M

maudikie

maudikie

The mental health services are in bad shape all over the country. I worry about the future of them as the demand is and will grow with the ageing population, and the report of more children being autistic. The Government seems to ignore the mentally ill, as I suppose they have done for eons.
The newest Mental Health Act is supposed to be training doctors as SOADs, and until I look it up I can't remember what it stands for!. Age takes its toll!
Will get back to you about it. I don't think anything will happen until aafter the election, even if then.
I have no particular objections to individual immigrants, but I think the large numbers who hae come here have made it more difficult for the Mental health Services as their morals are different and their religions, and their standards. And they do not integrate, which I can understand, as many have come to relatives who have been here for a long time and so group together.
Life is very complicated at present - perhaps it always was!
Family life is not the same as it used to be - members get scattered so are not always around to give support.I think this is sad.
But on a more cheerful note - head down, chin up and nose to the grindstone!!(y)

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
SOADS=Second Opinion Appointed Doctors

The SOAD service safeguards the rights of patients detained under the Mental Health Act who either refuse the treatment prescribed to them or are deemed incapable of consenting.

The role of the SOAD is to decide whether the treatment recommended is clinically defensible and whether due consideration has been given to the views and rights of the patient.

The SOAD is an independent consultant psychiatrist appointed by HIW, and only becomes a SOAD when appointed to an individual second opinion

This is interesting and brings a problem to mind. Suppose I sign an advance directive stating no ECG, Can it be overuled by someone who does not even know me? Can any advance directive be so overuled? :confused:

M

maudikie

maudikie.

My son has told me and I have told his brother that he has said he would not want E.C.T. again should he need sectioning.
An other problem for people with schizophrenia (amongs others) is that if they attend the DWP about work their disability is not understood and is unseen, so they may be offered unsuitable work and not able to cope with it,
I have met some patients who have tried, and after a short time have been discharged, This has caused them extra stress, and can lead to the need for hospitalisation.
Pentreath Industries in cornwall was excellent. The manager was a nurse, and although, as far as I know, the patients didnot proceed to open employment, the manager arranged a weekly visit to the Tate gallery St.Ives, where they were given facilities in the students room. Transportwas available and I went with them on several occasions. It was good to chat with them and I hope for them to chat with me! It also gave carers a short break each week. I don't know plymouth but would imagine that there is some Art gallery there which could give similar facilities.
Grrrr! If only I could get about and do a bit more!:(

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Dont talk to me about ECT, given its origins I cannot see what benefit it could have. aving said that, there was a govenrment paper recently which calimed that ECT was more effective than CBT as it only needed to be re-administerd 1 a year against CBT every 6 months. To me that means that neither are a long term answer and thus a complete waste of time and money.
A long time ago I had a consultant who put the utmost pressure on me to submit to that treatment, even to the extent of putting me down for treatment one day without my consent. It was only when the nurse said to me that I should not have breakfast and I asked why that the truth came out that I was on the list for ECT,I was not a christian then so I told her in 2 words what she, the consultant and the hospital could do

M

maudikie

maudikie

With rgard to E.C.T. I have just recently read an article from the U.S. which says the E.C.T. has been found to cure PTSD even in patients from years back, not the present sad conflict.
With regard to patients on section, I understand that treatment which the patient objects to can be over-ridden by a second psychiatrist. I don't know if this applies to E.C.T.But the Mental Health Act should (in my opinion) be taken alonside the Mental Incapacity Act. There is little doubt that in mental health crisis, in partiiuclar schizophreniia, the patient lacks mental capacity until the ilness in brought under control.
I also consider that whilst the patient is in hospital th ey should be alllocated a named nurse with whom they can empathise. Sadly there are still too few nurses and psychiatrists, and the information given to family carers is a difficult one t ovrcome due to the confidentiality which abounds in the rpofession. However if thepatient is asked if their family, partner, friens or whatever can be given information this can overcome this problem.
It is extremely difficult to genralise, as every patient is an individual and requires individual care from someone they trust.:)

M

maudikie

maudikie

cor! Your avatar - scares me to death, you'll catch your death of cold !!:help:

M

maudikie

maudikie

Do directors of Social Services know of this site? They could refer patients and/or carers. Or would that remove their responsibilities?
Do G.Ps know of it? Providing they have satisfactorily treated the patient it would be of support to relatives, and they could get more informtion without the confidentiality thing.
It might not be suitable for all, as if the patient was on one thread and relatives on another it could cause trouble. On the other hand it might bring them closer.
Told you I would think of something else! I'm very busy watching the nuthatches in and out of the nest box. I think they must have hatched. I wonder if birds get mental health problems? They must get tired with all their coming and going.:D

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Do directors of Social Services know of this site? They could refer patients and/or carers. Or would that remove their responsibilities?
Do G.Ps know of it? Providing they have satisfactorily treated the patient it would be of support to relatives, and they could get more informtion without the confidentiality thing.
It might not be suitable for all, as if the patient was on one thread and relatives on another it could cause trouble. On the other hand it might bring them closer.
Told you I would think of something else! I'm very busy watching the nuthatches in and out of the nest box. I think they must have hatched. I wonder if birds get mental health problems? They must get tired with all their coming and going.:D
at the moment I doubt that anybody in the mh services know about us, but it is something I am working on. I have a meeting on Wed. with the local service user group and will post anything I get, I am waiting a reply from the team about Wkki's and stickies so that some permanent information can be put onto this site

M

maudikie

Take away the cause and the effect ceases. CERVANTES Don Quixopte 1605-15

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
I think the answer to your 2 questions is going to be NO, they dont know. My feeling is tha they dont want to know because to admit there are alternatives to their view is close to sacrilige. Some months ago I asked the powers that be on this site if I could get some posters, my intention being to send them to the different clinics and Gps. there is and was a deafening silence, to date have had no answer. Does anybody here have the ability or skill to design a local poster for us? if so please let me/us know

M

maudikie

The number of young children worries me when they are put in prisons etc. Are they givena thorough health check includings a mental health check? Are the parents located and included in the responsibility of childrens behaviour. I don't like both parents going out to work until the youngest child is school age, but hears on radio that this is something they are hoping to bring about. Are in -patients given sexual advice regarding the possibility of geneics being a part of the trouble? Why is it that in Africa the patients are better integrated with families and villages than in the Western coutries? That is in the village communities, rather than the cities?
Why are footballers and pop stard earning so much money when the country is in debt?

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
The number of young children worries me when they are put in prisons etc. Are they givena thorough health check includings a mental health check? Are the parents located and included in the responsibility of childrens behaviour. I don't like both parents going out to work until the youngest child is school age, but hears on radio that this is something they are hoping to bring about. Are in -patients given sexual advice regarding the possibility of geneics being a part of the trouble? Why is it that in Africa the patients are better integrated with families and villages than in the Western coutries? That is in the village communities, rather than the cities?
Why are footballers and pop stard earning so much money when the country is in debt?
I dont know what te figures are for the n umber of children in prison nor if parents are located, but I should hope that they are. It is my belief that a lot of todays problems stemm fro parents not giving a good example to thier children and in many cases not giving a damn about them providing the kids dont interfere with the aults enjoyment od whatever they want to do.
Your observation on Africa was highleted many years ago by the world Health Organisation who identified that the best recover rates from MH problems were in the so called backwards countries. The best rats of all were in the more remote villages, where there was a far higher level of family and community support. The closer those villages were to westernised cities the poorer the support and the poorer the recovery rates. The worst rates were in USA and Westernised countries.
As a result of this report the WHO set up a proggrame called 'The whole life Project'. Plymouth is supposed to be part of this project, but frankly I see no evidence of it now or in the past. It is supposed to look at all aspects of a patients life includung things like income, housing, social life and support. In other words the whole of an a patients life circumstances, not just plugging them full of chemicals which is all Plymouth MH services appear to want to do :evil::evil::evil:

p.s I dont see much evedence of it from current or past governments either. It just shows the strangle hold the Drug companies have over us.