• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Tele-Therapy.What's It Like?

S

SunnyDaze

I'm not sure what it's called in your neck of the woods but where I am having therapy online,through video,is called tele-therapy.

I am afraid of it,I don't want to do it,but I really need to get back into therapy. So I would like to hear others experiences. What is it like? Is it possible to feel a connection with a therapist in that way? Does it feel awkward talking about personal things?

What are the bad things about it?
What are the good things?

S

SunnyDaze

Thanks.

I haven't scheduled a session yet. I'm not sure if I will or not.

Hopefully others have done therapy this way and can share their experiences.

D

Deleted member 91323

I have just had 26 sessions of CBT by phone. For me it was the best experience of therapy I have had. I did not have to travel to the appointment which causes me anxiety. I did not have to restrain myself to keep safe going back home. As I was at home I felt more comfortable and able to open up. I felt having therapy this way enabled me to connect with the therapist in a way I had no previously.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I have just had 26 sessions of CBT by phone. For me it was the best experience of therapy I have had. I did not have to travel to the appointment which causes me anxiety. I did not have to restrain myself to keep safe going back home. As I was at home I felt more comfortable and able to open up. I felt having therapy this way enabled me to connect with the therapist in a way I had no previously.
Like bpd I have also been having teletherapy through covid with my regular counselor. I like it because I can stay cozy and safe in my home and feel that I can “go deeper” and be more honest with my counselor because I don’t have to look at him in the eyes. I don’t think he would judge me for any of the things I have had to tell him but I feel so much more comfortable talking over the phone. This is with an established therapist I have previously met with for years before covid. I am not sure how things might be different if I was trying to connect with someone I had never met before. I would highly recommend teletherapy. It has worked so well for me and I’m sure others would benefit too. xo, j

S

SunnyDaze

Thanks @bpd2020 and @JessisMe

When you both say by phone do you mean just talking on the phone or are they video sessions?

I would have no problem just talking on the phone but my therapist(former therapist)is only doing video sessions where we both would see each other just like face time or Facebook video calls

K

Keesha

We have similar therapy here done through Skype, Teams, Zoom. It’s where you can talk and see the person you’re talking to however I prefer just talking only. I don’t want someone watching my cry and blow my nose. No thanks.

K

Keesha

This is the best therapy I’ve ever had also. It’s really nice talking with a therapist in the comfort of my own home where I can get a glass of water or grab a blanket and some Kleenex.

JessisMe

JessisMe

When you both say by phone do you mean just talking on the phone or are they video sessions?

I would have no problem just talking on the phone but my therapist(former therapist)is only doing video sessions where we both would see each other just like face time or Facebook video calls
Mine was over the phone. Can your therapist accommodate your desire to attend counseling by phone?

K

Keesha

I'm not sure what it's called in your neck of the woods but where I am having therapy online,through video,is called tele-therapy.

I am afraid of it,I don't want to do it,but I really need to get back into therapy. So I would like to hear others experiences. What is it like? Is it possible to feel a connection with a therapist in that way? Does it feel awkward talking about personal things?

What are the bad things about it?
What are the good things?
Ask if you can do phone counselling first. That way you can at least talk. I think you’ll really like it Sunny.

S

SunnyDaze

I'm sure my therapist would be willing to do phone therapy. I already can do email therapy anytime I want to.

But,I need more trauma therapy and I honestly don't see how that could work without being face to face. I experienced a new trauma a few years ago,a pretty major one and I need to see his emotions and reactions. I need to feel and see his validation.It doesn't seem like it could be beneficial talking without seeing his face.

But I'm just scared of the video sessions. I get anxiety even thinking about doing it that way.

K

Keesha

I'm sure my therapist would be willing to do phone therapy. I already can do email therapy anytime I want to.

But,I need more trauma therapy and I honestly don't see how that could work without being face to face. I experienced a new trauma a few years ago,a pretty major one and I need to see his emotions and reactions. I need to feel and see his validation.It doesn't seem like it could be beneficial talking without seeing his face.

But I'm just scared of the video sessions. I get anxiety even thinking about doing it that way.
I’m doing trauma therapy and I am one to constantly evaluate body language, eye contact, tone of voice while conversing with someone. It’s become a habit. One of survival but not necessarily a good one. I never thought I could let this needless habit go. Then I started this voice only therapy.

With the right person , you’ll connect just fine I’m sure. If you don’t, I’m sure you can try another until you get someone you’re comfortable with.

I’ve been hooked up with a lovely woman who has a great sense of humour. We hit it off right from the start. I laugh. I cry. There’s moments of silence. None of these moments feel odd or awkward. If fact, because this woman can’t see me, I don’t feel rushed and I find I’m not playing as many people pleasing games as I normally do. I’m actually making great progress.

This voice only therapy has opened up a whole new way of counselling for me that’s made it much easier to become vulnerable . I can go into elaborate details without feeling needlessly uncomfortable.

At least try it.

D

Deleted member 91323

For me it was talking on the phone. I know therapist prefer it via video so they can see any reactions. My therapists mentioned several times it was hard for her not being able to see me to know if I was okay.

S

SunnyDaze

Thanks for the replies here. I will be thinking long and hard about this before making a decision.

Maybe I will try to work up the courage to do a video session. Or maybe an exception can be made for me to be seen in person as long as I wear a mask and we can social distance.

I just don't think I can get the same benefits with talking on the phone.And email,well it's so easy to misinterpret written words.

anex

anex

I’ve been doing tele-therapy (over video) and it’s been fine! I don’t have the struggle of being uncomfortable to be seen over video this way, though. The one thing that can be a little annoying is that sometimes the sound or video glitches for a second or a few seconds. But it doesn’t take away from the session, in my opinion. I really enjoy it because I don’t have to drive anywhere. I do prefer in person, though. It adds that true level of connection, but I still feel connected through video sessions.