• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Teeth obssesion

Z

zx123

Hi,
I wonder if somebody here can give me some advice?

I have obssesive thoughts about the state of my teeth. I started having this obsession about three years ago, before that time I used to neglect my teeth and didn't go to the dentists for a long time.

As part of this obsession I have started to take pictures of my teeth as a way of reassuring myself and trying to keep track of any changes that happen. I also try to eat as little sugar as possible.

Sometimes I can control the obsession and I don't think about it for a while, but occasionally something sets of my obsession and I can't think of anything else.

I feel like this is a problem that I really need to deal with, because I am afraid that I might end up damaging my teeth.

Has anyone else dealt with this and can offer me any suggestions?

Thanks

katya

katya

You need to go to the dentist - purely to lessen your anxiety about the whole thing. You'll be fine. I've had this before; I was scared to go because I didn't take care of them as well as I should, and when I went, they were understanding and just told me what I needed to have done. You might have to have some treatment, but it's better than waiting and losing a tooth. You do not want to have root canal treatment. It is a bastard.

When I get like that, I often have dreams about breaking or losing my teeth.

Best thing to do is just bite the bullet (ha) and go. If you're worried about their reaction, just open up a bit and apologise for not coming sooner and tell them how worried you are your teeth might not be in the best state; they'll probably be very understanding.

F

Fruitloop

Ask around to find a good dentist. Get a couple of opinions.

Once you find a good one make sure you do go. The longer you put it off the worse your teeth and anxiety will get. The sense of relief you get once you've been outweighs the anxiety of going in the first place. Then you can also ask someone who knows there stuff all the questions you have about you teeth and how to look after them properly.

Good luck

Z

zx123

Thanks for the replies,
I have already started to go to the dentists but I still worry about my teeth. I know it is irrational because I worry about different teeth at different times. For instance last year I was worried about one tooth and now I am worried about a completely different tooth. I was worrying about them again yesterday because I went somewhere and I was unable to brush my teeth after having something to eat. It is like an obsessional thought because when I am worried about them I spend all my time thinking about them and I cant think about anything else.

katya

katya

Thanks for the replies,
I have already started to go to the dentists but I still worry about my teeth. I know it is irrational because I worry about different teeth at different times. For instance last year I was worried about one tooth and now I am worried about a completely different tooth. I was worrying about them again yesterday because I went somewhere and I was unable to brush my teeth after having something to eat. It is like an obsessional thought because when I am worried about them I spend all my time thinking about them and I cant think about anything else.
Ahh, I see what you mean. Hopefully once your dentist tells you you're all clear, you'll feel better? If not, then are you in touch with any therapists? If you can't lessen the anxiety fully through physical measures, then I'd go down that road. Hope this doesn't trouble you for much longer.

:hug1: