• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Teenagers with OCD

BeanPeach

BeanPeach

Please provide any encouragement or thoughts on helping a parent (me!) deal with a teenager with ocd. It’s awful to witness my daughter struggle. My heart breaks for her. She is 13 and suffers from anxiety and ocd and I don’t even know how to parent her when she’s having an episode? Do I stay quiet, do I get firm, do I empathize and talk her down, leave her alone? It’s so hard. She often gets angry and yells at me and tells me she hates me. Sigh.

hicks

hicks

I was in exactly the same position as you in 2019, going through the same emotions. Daughter had a massive escalation in anxiety and OCD. It had a huge impact on the whole family, we thought our world was ending. . So scary because we saw such a change in her, like it was a different person. We really did not understand what was going on until I did some research around it, and we had sessions with a counsellor.
There is actually very little you can do during a meltdown/episode because the pre-frontal cortex part of the brain has largely shut down. Meaning that normal reasoning is impossible. Anxiety and the primitive brain is in control. The Amygdala has a powerful influence in young people. This is where the anxiety comes from.
As a parent you just do not have the experience to deal with this.
What worked for us was sessions with a qualified counsellor. Your daughter needs to learn techniques in dealing with the anxiety, and managing it, before it can escalate.
I wish you all the best, and I hope things work out. On the positive side, our daughter has got a lot better with managing anxiety, so there is hope.

L

L1F3SUCK5

Please provide any encouragement or thoughts on helping a parent (me!) deal with a teenager with ocd. It’s awful to witness my daughter struggle. My heart breaks for her. She is 13 and suffers from anxiety and ocd and I don’t even know how to parent her when she’s having an episode? Do I stay quiet, do I get firm, do I empathize and talk her down, leave her alone? It’s so hard. She often gets angry and yells at me and tells me she hates me. Sigh.
Hi, I was in exactly the same boat as her when I was 13, it’s horrible.
I’m now 19 and it did get better. When I was 14 it got really bad, I was under Camhs but they weren’t helpful, what actually helped me was my mum.

I had to reduce my checks gradually and having my mum there to support me and tell me everything was okay really helped. What I would say is to try reducing the checks/routines (I don’t know what kind of OCD she has) starting with the easiest to reduce. Be with her and there for her as it will be hard but just reassuring her that nothing bad will happen and when she stops checking/doing as much of the routine once then it gets easier to do that same thing again. Once she feels comfortable with not having to do that check/routine then you could tackle another, as time goes on it’ll become easier, still hard but easier.

The most important thing is to be there for her, leaving her alone probably won’t help. For me, if I were left to continue doing things my OCD was encouraging then my OCD would only get worse. I need support from my family to help me know that what my OCD is telling me isn’t true and that everything will be okay if I don’t do what it’s telling me to do. I still struggle to this day but honestly having my mum there with me makes a difference.

OCD can be extremely isolating and scary, so my advice is to be there for her and with her.
I understand how hard it must be for both of you. I saw how it effected my mum, she was exactly the same as you, it’s not easy to know what to do and I hope this helps x

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M The vast majority of brain scans of people with OCD appear normal? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
M I think I might have OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Brutal self talk with pure O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
T I've almost overcome ocd, but there is one thing I'm afraid to touch/wear. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B OCD and fear of how people gossip Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M New member here with OCD. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M Focus OCD - Advise Please Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
F Real event ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
T Existential OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
L What good medications are there out there for ocd! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
L OCD ifo Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
D I’m struggling please!! I’m so done with ocd! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
E I have my birthday today,,, but ocd is bugging me!!!!!!!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Ocd religious help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Advice for living with OCD family member Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
jems89 Does this sound like OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A OCD, Constantly washing hands Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
G Covid and Ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
A My partner has OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C Teenage OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
U OCD to anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
B Recently diagnosed need help and advice on cheating OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
E Does ocd of others seem ridiculous to us? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
T Sick of being mocked for having OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J I think I've had SO-OCD for years now. It's debilitating Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
E Extreme OCD after Covid-19 smell loss; Pyschiatrist recommends Prozac Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O How can I get better with my jumping OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
W Harm OCD - False Memories *PLEASE RESPOND* Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Did I run over someone or do I have hit and run ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
W The Root of My Harm OCD — A Confession Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B Girlfriend with Pure OCD - Please help!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N Ocd taking over my life in every way Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
K OCD Experiences regarding Contamination/Sanitation Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
L Pure OCD and problems with guilt. Sexuality problem Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C Disgust-based OCD driving me crazy Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Should I get an OCD diagnosis before going to therapy? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
E Is this part of HOCD/SO-OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
MrBond007 Is it possible for those with OCD to get over their compulsions and fears? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Cheating ocd please help and respond Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
EddieH OCD Peripheral Staring/Private Staring Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
S Chain mail triggers my OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K is OCD about control Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B I think I may have OCD but I'm not sure if this behavior is typical. Avoidance of sun on face for fear of aging? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A Very spesfic ocd everyone looks at me like im mad. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
jonjonzz47 Safety of others OCD thought - Please Help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
M Anyone have tips on how to recover OCD/Anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
N My Pure O and sensorimotor OCD experience Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Almost beated OCD but there is still one thing left Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
E What are you're sleeping habits like? Are they conditioned by OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
M Triggers and OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3