• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Teen daughter just diagnosed with ocd and anxiety

BeanPeach

BeanPeach

Greetings! Just joined tonight and am looking for virtual strength and support. My Daughter, age 13, was just diagnosed with severe OCD and anxiety. I’m at a loss for words with knowing how to patiently parent my child who is clearly struggling in so many ways. The teenage years are hard enough to navigate through, but with this in the mix, I’m feeling very tested and drained. I’ve got her in therapy and am considering medication. I guess I’m just looking to not feel alone. Any moms or dads out there with any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Louizard

Louizard

Hi, and welcome!
I'm a young son, not a parent, but I feel like I can be of help, I have lived with anxiety (and other stuff) ever since I was a child.

The fact alone that you're asking for advice, supporting her therapy and eventual medication really shows how much you care, and I'm sure your daughter is aware of this. What matters the most is to show her and let her know that she has your support, that you're willing to just be with her- remember you have your own mental health to look after, you can't do miracles but you can be a caring parent this way.

You're right, teenage years with a mental illness in the way are quite a challenge, but beginning treatment this early, especially with what looks like such a caring parent, will make it all worth it.
I can tell by experience both you and your child will grow as people, that's what therapy and introspection do.

Most importantly, if you can afford it, it wouldn't hurt to consider seeing a therapist yourself (in most cases the parent can consult their child's therapist), I'm sure you'll feel like you need to talk to someone, and rightfully so!

Basically, take care of yourself, first.

She needs someone she can talk to without feeling ashamed or guilty. That's a major problem I've had with my own parents, they insisted I cut off my medications, stopped seeing my therapist because according to them I didn't need it anymore, and so on. Please, give her time, and let her know that if she needs it, she can rely on you.
I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job, take care, modern therapy does wonders.... obstacles are needed for growth and all will be well

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi Beanpeach welcome to the forum :welcome:

BeanPeach

BeanPeach

Hi, and welcome!
I'm a young son, not a parent, but I feel like I can be of help, I have lived with anxiety (and other stuff) ever since I was a child.

The fact alone that you're asking for advice, supporting her therapy and eventual medication really shows how much you care, and I'm sure your daughter is aware of this. What matters the most is to show her and let her know that she has your support, that you're willing to just be with her- remember you have your own mental health to look after, you can't do miracles but you can be a caring parent this way.

You're right, teenage years with a mental illness in the way are quite a challenge, but beginning treatment this early, especially with what looks like such a caring parent, will make it all worth it.
I can tell by experience both you and your child will grow as people, that's what therapy and introspection do.

Most importantly, if you can afford it, it wouldn't hurt to consider seeing a therapist yourself (in most cases the parent can consult their child's therapist), I'm sure you'll feel like you need to talk to someone, and rightfully so!

Basically, take care of yourself, first.

She needs someone she can talk to without feeling ashamed or guilty. That's a major problem I've had with my own parents, they insisted I cut off my medications, stopped seeing my therapist because according to them I didn't need it anymore, and so on. Please, give her time, and let her know that if she needs it, she can rely on you.
I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job, take care, modern therapy does wonders.... obstacles are needed for growth and all will be well
Amazing!! Thank you for your kind and wise words!!! I sincerely appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts and perspective! I loved that you suggested therapy for my self. I think that’s a great idea!! I think it would be beneficial to have my own support as I go through this with my daughter. Luckily I have a very loving and supportive husband so I definitely don’t feel alone, but something for myself would be awesome !