• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Teardrop shape phobia

P

Pin61

Hello,
I'm currently 20 years old, and since I can remember myself, I have this wierd unexplained fear/disgust of a teardrop shape.
When I say teardrop, I mean the symbolic 2D
Shape of a teardrop. I see this shape in children's books when they illustrate rain or water drop, in laughing/crying emojis, etc. The worst thing about it is that I see it a lot in food, I can see it in seasame seeds, in pumpkin seeds, tomato seeds, zucchini seeds etc.

The feeling it gives me is a wierd feeling of disgust. Nothing else gives me the same feeling, seeing a dead body, seeing blood, seeing some poo on the sidewalk, nothing gives me the same feeling of disgust.

When I see it, think of it or accidentally eat it, it makes me nauseous, and gives me the feeling that I want to throw up. If I'm hungry and see other people eating some bread with seasame seeds on it, I instantly lose my hunger and always try to look away. It's really disgusting to me. I can't explain it.

For years I've been trying to identify this phobia
(I don't even know if it's a phobia since it's more being disgusted rather than fearing the thing)
I went to a psychologist, and looked online for years and found nothing. Whenever I look for it, trypophobia always pops up, but I know it's not trypophobia.
The next closest thing I found is that some people are afraid of the drain hole in the sink, or being disgusted of buttons on shirts. But nothing on being disgusted on certain 2D shapes.

Please help me diagnose this or anything related to this. I'm desperate...
Thanks

Attachments

• black-teardrop-shape-water-drop-ico-11562965855oukmk4irll.png
    black-teardrop-shape-water-drop-ico-11562965855oukmk4irll.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

This one surely is specific. I cannot help you dude, but there are people afraid of pinheads so you shouldn't feel embarrassed.

duckieduck

duckieduck

@Pin61 Some phobias sadly do not have names but this is of course still a phobia which deserves the same respect as every other one, sending love and hugs.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

Trypophobia is the closest thing that actually has a name. There aren’t specific names for most phobia just umbrella terms. You’re reaction sounds pretty on par with what people with trypophobia feel. Doesn’t have to always be fear. Most phobias are probably disgust and assumption based.