• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Tattoos and SH

S

sarahe

If this contradicts forum rules, please delete admin, i'm sorry.

After reading so many stories on here I have actually just realised that I never did give up self harming. I am literally covered in tattoos from the torso to my ankles (although to look at me dressed, even in a vest you would not know) After today's incident I can't decide if ifeel better or worse for this.

Anybody else tattooed or body moded for the same release?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Not sure if i've ever consciously tattooed as a way of replacing SH.
But I have found tattoos to be effective in stopping me from SHing in the areas where the tattoos are.

So do you not feel happy with your tattoos, then?

P.S. - As long as there are no self-harm specifics regarding methods, you're not breaking rules.:)

S

sarahe

Oh no, I adore every one of mine, they have all been well thought out, have a meaning to me and are well placed, however, it has just occured to me that I believe they were my form of release. My tattooist who has become a very good friend of mine now jokes that I get off on the pain, as he says I am the only girl he knows that can withstand 5 hours solid of rib work without numbing cream.

I think I subconsciously keep going back for this reason. Thankfully I have no ink on me that I regret but even 2 years ago, when I was getting a lot of work done on my thighs and he was covering my scars up (uber painful) I kept thinking how alive I felt.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Phew - glad to hear that you love your ink. :)

I think it's a really fine line, isn't it?
Tattoos and body modification and the thrill that people get out of it is seen as socially acceptable.. yet self-harm certainly isn't.

I suppose maybe some mental health professionals might argue that your tattooing is a form of self-harm, though I think it depends on how you were feeling when you decided to get a tattoo.
Were you feeling low, pissed off or whatever?

As I said, it's a very thin line.
I remember getting my ears pierced loads of times around the time that I self-harmed quite badly, and I really enjoyed the sensation of being pierced.

F

Fallen Phoenix

Although ive know my tattooist for a while now shes only been qualified for a year or so and she only did work on the last decent place left which is my right arm were is untouched below the elbow. She's no clue about my SH buts she is pretty approachable so i may consider plucking up some courage and asking about it. It's something I've considered in the past but always think the skin would be to weak to handle it due to only ever tending to my own injuries so it basically scar tissue now so I just end up putting it off and sticking to my "good arm"