• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Tapering benzos and derealization help

R

Ronnyjanzen

I'm down to 7.5mgs of valium. I started at about 30mgs which is about 1.5 mgs of Klonopin. I'm sure this drug caused derealization in me. Even if I updose the bad anxiety and derealization doesnt go away? It's the scariest thing in the world. What actually helped you with your derealization and or your anxiety?? I've heard about pregabalin and gabapentin being helpful please help! Thank you!

Karmaman

Karmaman

I am currently holding on 15 mg of diazepam. I don't have derealization but am struggling with terrible depression and anxiety. I am struggling to leave the house.
I've tried to up dose but it doesn't seem to help. I think I've reached tolerance and it's very scary.
There's a lot of information on benzobuddies
www.benzobuddies.org

R

Ronnyjanzen

That's what happens to everyone in benzos ull hit tolerence withdrawals... So u can take even more benzos but ur still scared, depressed etc. Do u have the feeling of doom and gloom to? I went through a super fast taper I was on my hands and knees for weeks feeling like I was going to have a heart attack... Got down to about 10 or 12 mgs of valium and stabalized somewhat now I'm down to 7.5

Karmaman

Karmaman

Yes terrible feelings of gloom. I came down from 20 (sometimes 30mgs) maybe too fast as it takes time for things to readjust. Very desperate as there's been no feelings of stabalizing and I'm becoming more and more isolated. I'm also struggling to sleep; waking up three to four times a night.

R

Ronnyjanzen

I'm there now... I've tried updosing my benzo and still I didn't really notice a difference..... Benzos were never meant to be taken daily longer thann2 weeks..... Eventually ull have to taper off them and ride out the symptoms and looks for ways to help u cope in the mean time. L theanine or taurine or maybe gabapentin to help. But benzos mess you up they did for me. I never had derealisation until I was on them daily ......what seems to work best is a keto diet no junk or caffiene, slow tapering, and maybe an SSRI? Put it this way I was going through a tough taper when I was homeless and I was terrified I purpaley said I was suicidal to get off the streets and guess what? There was a lady in the hospital walking up and down the hall babbling in phycosis that she needs her 5 mgs of Ativan..... Yea get off these drugs

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Nothing helps with my anxiety and nothing ever has, apart from Xanax, but that couldn't last very long due to its notorious tolerance. Sigh.

4 years ago I tapered off my then-dose of 1.5mg daily Xanax with the assistance of 20mg daily Valium, then once off the Xanax, I tapered down to 5mg Valium. I didn't experience any issues. Unfortunately, a chronic distressing situation caused me to give up trying to taper off the Valium and I upped the dose again just to take the edge off.

Then 2 years ago I tapered from 20mg Valium down to nothing, with the help of 2mg daily Klonopin. Again, I experienced no issues.

My only issue is that my pre-existing specific type of anxiety is doom, gloom, fear of impending danger, a sense of foreboding, and an constant, unrelenting ominous feeling, and after almost 40 years of that, it's resulted in my brain feeling trapped and severely depressed. I've been pushed down by this fear for so long, I can't enjoy anything anymore and can't deal with being awake for very long as it's too unpleasant to think and feel.

Anyway, so I still take 2mg daily Klonopin but it's just maintenance now.

I've tried L-Theanine, Ashwagandha, Magnesium, Valerian, other benzos, Zoloft, Lexapro, Effexor, Moclobemide, Tramadol, Lamictal...nothing.

Karmaman

Karmaman

The rapid onset of tolerance and no relief has hit me very hard.

R

Ronnyjanzen

Nothing helps with my anxiety and nothing ever has, apart from Xanax, but that couldn't last very long due to its notorious tolerance. Sigh.

4 years ago I tapered off my then-dose of 1.5mg daily Xanax with the assistance of 20mg daily Valium, then once off the Xanax, I tapered down to 5mg Valium. I didn't experience any issues. Unfortunately, a chronic distressing situation caused me to give up trying to taper off the Valium and I upped the dose again just to take the edge off.

Then 2 years ago I tapered from 20mg Valium down to nothing, with the help of 2mg daily Klonopin. Again, I experienced no issues.

My only issue is that my pre-existing specific type of anxiety is doom, gloom, fear of impending danger, a sense of foreboding, and an constant, unrelenting ominous feeling, and after almost 40 years of that, it's resulted in my brain feeling trapped and severely depressed. I've been pushed down by this fear for so long, I can't enjoy anything anymore and can't deal with being awake for very long as it's too unpleasant to think and feel.

Anyway, so I still take 2mg daily Klonopin but it's just maintenance now.

I've tried L-Theanine, Ashwagandha, Magnesium, Valerian, other benzos, Zoloft, Lexapro, Effexor, Moclobemide, Tramadol, Lamictal...nothing.
No offense but what you did was the wrong approach.... For starters you don't taper off of valium and switch to Klonopin there both benzos.... You are not accomplishing anything by doing that. This is why you have the doom and gloom feeling is because you are STILL on a benzo.... You're actually at a higher dose of Klonopin compared to valium. 10 mgs of valium = 0.5 mgs of Klonopin so as of now you are on about 40 mgs of valium .. only it's Klonopin with a bit shorter of life. If your shoes there is help. Any smart doctor or psych should have had you transition and try out gabapentin or pregabalin for your anxiety while tapering off completely from your benzodiazpine...........I know you said benzos were the only thing that worked but there not you just haven't tried all the meds out there. And with benzos you will hit tolerence and taking them at that point doesn't do much.... You need to find a different way than benzos..... Also a strict keto diet or carnivore diet for a few months will help if that's your only option left after meds.

B

BlueWater

For anxiety and other things, I take Pregabalin 50mg, Hydroxyzine HCL 25mg, Klonopin .5mg and Propranolol 10mg.

I'd like to get back to taking Klonopin just a few nights weekly. I think my gloom and doom would improve, but until I can find success on an SSRI for my OCD then this is the best option right now so my thoughts will stop and let me sleep.

I don't think you want to get hooked on a high dosage of Gabapentin or Pregabalin for anxiety. They can lead to weight gain and edema. I take just what I need for pain relief (50mg Pregabalin 2-3x daily). The first two days or so on Pregabalin I was euphoric but it passed and my anxiety improved for a few months until I settled on my pain dosage. It also made me sleepy the first few months but that passed. Gabapentin was a disaster for me. Missing just one 100mg dose left my hands shaking.

I recently added Propranolol 10mg as needed for anxiety, especially where the physical effects become too much and I need my body to calm down. It makes me a bit sleepy.

I have nocturnal hallucinations when I'm very stressed and have for most of my life. I've had two DR episodes. The first occurred when I was early into taking Gabapentin. The second occurred when I was early into taking Pregabalin.

If I were you, I'd start with Propranolol and Hydroxyzine HCL. If you don't get enough relief, maybe ask about Buspar. I haven't tried my bottle of Buspar yet so I can't give an opinion on it.

R

Ronnyjanzen

For anxiety and other things, I take Pregabalin 50mg, Hydroxyzine HCL 25mg, Klonopin .5mg and Propranolol 10mg.

I'd like to get back to taking Klonopin just a few nights weekly. I think my gloom and doom would improve, but until I can find success on an SSRI for my OCD then this is the best option right now so my thoughts will stop and let me sleep.

I don't think you want to get hooked on a high dosage of Gabapentin or Pregabalin for anxiety. They can lead to weight gain and edema. I take just what I need for pain relief (50mg Pregabalin 2-3x daily). The first two days or so on Pregabalin I was euphoric but it passed and my anxiety improved for a few months until I settled on my pain dosage. It also made me sleepy the first few months but that passed. Gabapentin was a disaster for me. Missing just one 100mg dose left my hands shaking.

I recently added Propranolol 10mg as needed for anxiety, especially where the physical effects become too much and I need my body to calm down. It makes me a bit sleepy.

I have nocturnal hallucinations when I'm very stressed and have for most of my life. I've had two DR episodes. The first occurred when I was early into taking Gabapentin. The second occurred when I was early into taking Pregabalin.

If I were you, I'd start with Propranolol and Hydroxyzine HCL. If you don't get enough relief, maybe ask about Buspar. I haven't tried my bottle of Buspar yet so I can't give an opinion on it.
I've tried the beta blockers before it was propranolol and I had a bad experience it gave me worse anxiety and dhiareah. I hear you about pregabalin and gabapentin but if you compare those 2 they are the lesser of evils than benzos. Because benzos are the worst they are the king of destroying the GABA receptors and connections all throughout your nervous system. It's a common practice for physchiattrists who deal with drug withdrawal to take people off benzos and cross taper to them on an anti seizure like gabapentin, pregabalin or lamictal.
I'm in the same spot as you I'm still on about 8ish mgs of valium which is close to 0.5mgs of Klonopin and I'm trying about meds for depressions and anxiety ocd traits. Currently trying cymbalta 4 days in... If this doesn't work I'll probably try lamictal or an older trcyclic antidepressant

B

BlueWater

I've tried the beta blockers before it was propranolol and I had a bad experience it gave me worse anxiety and dhiareah. I hear you about pregabalin and gabapentin but if you compare those 2 they are the lesser of evils than benzos. Because benzos are the worst they are the king of destroying the GABA receptors and connections all throughout your nervous system. It's a common practice for physchiattrists who deal with drug withdrawal to take people off benzos and cross taper to them on an anti seizure like gabapentin, pregabalin or lamictal.
I'm in the same spot as you I'm still on about 8ish mgs of valium which is close to 0.5mgs of Klonopin and I'm trying about meds for depressions and anxiety ocd traits. Currently trying cymbalta 4 days in... If this doesn't work I'll probably try lamictal or an older trcyclic antidepressant
I'm on Lamictal 125mg. I strongly recommend an anti-anxiety med if you try Lamictal. It's ok for depression but best for mood stabilization. I take 100-150mg Pregabalin (600-900mg Gabapentin) daily for almost a year. It helps my anxiety a little but is great for my nerve pain. I won't increase for anxiety because I've already gained 10 lbs and eat low-ish carb and exercise.

B

BlueWater

Lamictal can be a very stimulating during titration. Good and bad. Hyper and happy but irritable. Motivated but depressed. Almost a mixed state. Titrate carefully. For mood stabilization though I love it. It gives a little bit of a depressive lift but does nothing for anxiety at my best dose for mood.

Pregabalin and Gabapentin are a living hell for some people to taper off of. I couldn't miss a 100mg dose of Gabapentin but I can usually miss a 50mg dose of Pregabalin (300mg Gabapentin) and feel fine. It's different for everyone. I wish you luck with it if Cymbalta doesn't work for you.

B

BlueWater

Regarding your OCD, Lamictal helps some in that it slows my reactions and mood changes enough that I can see some compulsions. It mutes some triggering memories. For mood, I can't imagine ever wanting to quit it. I do care a little less about things that used to bother me. I do believe that you could get some anxiety relief early on from Gabapentin or Pregabalin, but if you're like me then you'd need to increase again and again then risk obesity and edema. I tried Cymbalta about five years ago. I don't know what my starting dose was but I think it was high. Didn't work for me. I hope that Buspar will help me and if not enough that I can try Lexapro again. Good luck!

2Much2Feel

I'm down to 7.5mgs of valium. I started at about 30mgs which is about 1.5 mgs of Klonopin. I'm sure this drug caused derealization in me. Even if I updose the bad anxiety and derealization doesnt go away? It's the scariest thing in the world. What actually helped you with your derealization and or your anxiety?? I've heard about pregabalin and gabapentin being helpful please help! Thank you!
yes, gabapentin helped me a lot when I needed to go way down on klonopin. helped w depression, sleep, anxiety. derealization I didn't experience. best of luck and keep us updated how you're doing. it can be awful dealing w Benzos. xx

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

No offense but what you did was the wrong approach.... For starters you don't taper off of valium and switch to Klonopin there both benzos.... You are not accomplishing anything by doing that. This is why you have the doom and gloom feeling is because you are STILL on a benzo.... You're actually at a higher dose of Klonopin compared to valium. 10 mgs of valium = 0.5 mgs of Klonopin so as of now you are on about 40 mgs of valium .. only it's Klonopin with a bit shorter of life. If your shoes there is help. Any smart doctor or psych should have had you transition and try out gabapentin or pregabalin for your anxiety while tapering off completely from your benzodiazpine...........I know you said benzos were the only thing that worked but there not you just haven't tried all the meds out there. And with benzos you will hit tolerence and taking them at that point doesn't do much.... You need to find a different way than benzos..... Also a strict keto diet or carnivore diet for a few months will help if that's your only option left after meds.
Thank you! I didn't actually taper off the Valium with the intention of coming off benzos entirely. At the time, I was taking 20mg of Valium, 2mg of Klonopin and 2mg of Etizolam (which did nothing). So I just felt that the Valium wasn't doing anything anymore and so I got off it and the Etizolam and remained only on the Klonopin.

I never actually found Klonopin to be stronger than Valium, simply because of the specific way it targets my anxiety. Valium dulled me and made me a bit bored and depressed. Klonopin made me more social and a bit more relaxed. I have only ever taken any benzo at night, never in the day. I avoid days altogether as I am too stressed and find sleeping as late as possible much easier, though it's no way to live.

This doom, gloom, dread, ominous fear feeling has actually been a constant since I was 4-5 years old so is definitely not caused by the benzos. I have complex / childhood PTSD and BPD on top of the major depression and GAD.

I have been interested in Pregabalin but have heard so many horror stories...(I guess there are about any drug though as everyone is different). Gabapentin I've also wanted to try, but I read it's highly tolerance-forming (like benzos) and would wear off in a few weeks. Ideally I need something I can take daily that won't stop being effective.

Oh, I'm also a vegetarian so no carnivore diet for me! lol