• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Taming Mania... Any tips?

h_put2021

h_put2021

Hi guys,

I've been having issues with restlessness and psychomotor agitation. Any tips on how to relax and calm this down?

HLon99

HLon99

Press ups and running usually help me. The one advantage to being manic for me is that I go harder in the gym that ever before. I simply do not feel tired even after 30mins of running.

How is the Lithium going?

h_put2021

h_put2021

Press ups and running usually help me. The one advantage to being manic for me is that I go harder in the gym that ever before. I simply do not feel tired even after 30mins of running.

How is the Lithium going?
Still some side effects but my levels are in the therapeutic range!!

HLon99

HLon99

Still some side effects but my levels are in the therapeutic range!!
Yup give it a few weeks, I'm sure you will be back to your usual self. Try and get some sleep too as much as you can. DM me if you wanna talk more.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
psychomotor agitation
sounds like its caused by the medication

medication itself is always harmful.

only take it as a last resort if you really need to and if you receive a large and obvious benefit

due to servere medical problems medication can sometimes be more beneficial then harmful, but its overused in modern society and in many instances is actually more harmful then good.

always work towards taking as little as you can get away with, if possible.

and when taking any medication you need to escalate your health in all other areas to counter the harm. more exercise, more vegetables, less negativity, less smoking, less drinking, less junk food, etc....

C

chess_player

Simply not true... medication can be tremendously helpful, allowing people suffering from mania to return to their normal selves. If not for Aripiprozal I might still be in a manic state today and that wouldn't be good for anybody. For this reason I would suggest being cautious about making such statements.
All the best,
CP

HLon99

HLon99

sounds like its caused by the medication

medication itself is always harmful.

only take it as a last resort if you really need to and if you receive a large and obvious benefit

due to servere medical problems medication can sometimes be more beneficial then harmful, but its overused in modern society and in many instances is actually more harmful then good.

always work towards taking as little as you can get away with, if possible.

and when taking any medication you need to escalate your health in all other areas to counter the harm. more exercise, more vegetables, less negativity, less smoking, less drinking, less junk food, etc....
Psychomotor agitation is a state of hyperarousal caused by manic states which is transient and tends to subside once the episode is resolved. You are thinking of Akathesia, which is a chronic condition caused by neuroleptic use. This condition tends to be relatively rare with the new class of atypical antipsychotics.

As for whether or not medication is warranted as a strategy to manage mental health problems depends on the problem in question. For cases of mild to modertate depression/anxiety, for instance, the side effects would outweigh the benefits and other strategies such as therapy have been shown to be more efficacious on the whole.

However, for bipolar disorder, arguably the second most serious mental disorder known to man, medication is certainly justified. Manic episodes are a legitimate psychiatric emergency. They can lead to serious and potential life threatening consequences such as accidents, excessive spending, risky unprotected sex and psychosis.

I agree that medication isn't the be all and end all of treatment. Of course it has to be implemented as a comprehensive treatment plan combined with lifestyle changes and therapy. However, without it all these 'self cures' have been proven to be worthless.

Medication can help achieve a base level of mental stability which will enable you to actually implement all the above mentioned lifestyle changes. A good analogy would be treating a heart attack. Of course lifestyle changes such as a healthy diet and regular exercise is key to preventing and reducing the impact of cardiovascular disease, but during a heart attack, the number one priority is to resolve the crisis by clearing the blood clot and prevent it from reforming by giving the patient blood thinning drugs. I do not see a reason why mental health should be treated any differently than physical health.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Psychomotor agitation is a state of hyperarousal caused by manic states which is transient and tends to subside once the episode is resolved. You are thinking of Akathesia, which is a chronic condition caused by neuroleptic use. This condition tends to be relatively rare with the new class of atypical antipsychotics.
tardive akathisia

thats the name of what i was looking for. couldnt find it on google this morning