• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

talking to voices?

whisper

whisper

Founding Member
hi, im going to apologise about the lack of articulation and spelling before i start so....yeah sorry about that,

i just wanted to know what people

1. have been told about talking to their voices (whether it be verbal, in head or not at all),

2. what people do themselves (whether they talk to their voices verbally, in head or not at all),

3. their own theroies (on voices in general)

4. if there are any things that help when voices become difficult to handle

i've been hearing voices for at-least 5 years and have been told to try many different things and each, have their advantages and disadvantages but all seem to stress me out (maby that's not the tequniques but me?),

I've noticed that there have been threds on or around this subject before but they have ether not answered these questions directly (and as i'm not too bright and dont get too much sleep, interpreting the ideas behind what is said can be difficult without making assumptions that may be wrong [sorry i know i should be better at reading into what people say] ) or have digressed a fair bit off the subject matter which makes pin-pointing where the subject ends and digression begins difficult, that is in no way saying that the other threds were not extreamly helpful, informative and interesting, it's just that i'd like people to specify on these particular points
sorry i probably shouldnt be posting new threds and bothering people with this stuff so early after joining but i'm really hoping for some feedback which will help me and any others that read this that would like help on this sort of thing and see other people opinions on the matter, yet again sorry about this, if you've managed to get this far through what i've written thanks and i'd really appreicate any comments, sorry again

stay happy

p.s. people can pm me about this if they want

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

Hello whisper.

I stress that the following is in my experience & what has worked for me - other people may not find this helpful or they may find other things of more benefit.

I have at times heard voices as clearly as if someone is talking in the room with me. Sometimes into my ear, as if they are by my head, sometimes it is as if they have been hiding some distance away. I sometimes get loud noises like explosions & other auditory effects which are hard to describe - humming & whooshing etc. But auditory hallucinations are not my main thing. I also think that I have heard the "voice" of certain people when I have been speaking to them; but that it has not been them, & "heard" things which they have not said. I still get it very occasionally, but I notice it now - they haven't actually spoken.

My main "symptoms" especially when I have been chronically ill - have been delusional thinking & thoughts which border on the horrific. Without going into allot of detail (& it would take a book to describe the extent of this stuff); allot of the early experiences & to a degree later on, revolved around themes like heaven & hell, the devil, reoccurring themes of being trapped on the earth through endless incarnations - things of a supernatural or other worldly nature. Some of these "thoughts" have caused me immense distress in the past.

I can think about all of this stuff now with hindsight & a degree of stability & not be anywhere near as bothered by it. Some of the techniques I have used do seem to have helped in alleviating & working through this stuff. I am grateful that I have a high degree of insight into these experiences. In the past I very much tried to think my way through them, to look at every angle, to seek all the information I could on the subjects I was experiencing. I have always questioned allot of what I believed to be happening; even when I was convinced that it was true. I remember the first time I was in hospital that I acted as if everything was OK - despite my head being in turmoil. I lied about how I felt & my thinking - but paradoxically it did actually have an effect after a while of helping me feel better & cope. I also was taken off a long term section.

My main coping strategies today run along similar lines. I question the things I think about - whatever they may be - I try to get different angles onto things. I do also have people I can trust who I run things by. Sharing my thoughts, ideas & fears; especially if they are causing me distress or they are uncomfortable - does take the power out of them. I nearly always get a perspective from other people which I hadn't thought of when I share things about what is going on. It is a most therapeutic thing to do. I very much enjoy long discussions about delusional thinking & thought in general. There does appear to be more meaning within these experiences than people first assume. I have taken allot of what has happened & with help from others who have discussed these things openly with me - & formed a kind of story, or a journey, a map if you like of my subjective World. I have found Reiki, which is a natural healing system, very helpful in this process as well. I have found that exploring this inner world to be beneficial. Denying it increased the problem.

Other techniques are simple relaxation & actions. I try to look at simple ways of relaxing & enjoying myself. A warm bath, a walk, a good film or book, a good TV show, some good company, listening to some music, etc. I try to deal with things in small easier to manage chunks, & focus on what is in front of me. As much as possible I live in the day & try to release everything else. All we have is the present moment after all. I practise very simple breathing techniques. If you breath fast & shallow - then you will feel tense & stressed, our breath controls our bodies. Slowing down your breathing & breathing from the diaphragm slows down the whole physical system & is very therapeutic. I also practise observing myself. Not with the eyes; but in; by trying to detach from my thinking, feelings & emotions. I still want & try to experience all these things fully, but without becoming them. I am not my thoughts, I am not simply my emotions. Reality is not inside my head! This simple fact took me years to figure out. If anything the problems is with my thinking, & so I try not to give power to my mind in the sense of "being" my thoughts - but rather trying to use the mind as a tool & not be a servant to it. Practising this I do find a great help; it is a very difficult thing to master, & I am some way off.

I also find that practising a spirituality a help. This is of course very personal. What works for one will be different for another. Developing my own understandings of a Creator (which I don't understand) beyond being a good force in my life - has helped. I find reading & trying out things like meditation, prayer & other methods to be a help. I don't follow any particular religion. But religion is fine too - it is personal.

Areas that would help & I need to improve on are exercise especially. excuse my long post. :)

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

I wanted to add something about voices. I have for along time had thoughts which appear to have personalities. In the past they were more disturbed; but I don't consider the ones I have now to be the same thing. I would almost consider them "guides" maybe even spirit guides. I take guidance from them. They are subtle, intuitive, but guiding & they do not seem wholly of myself. Some are male & some are female - although there is one male & one female who are more dominant than the others. The female "guide" is more caring. They could be the male & feminine aspects to myself. But I consider them to be a connection to & guidance from my dad & grandmother who are deceased. This probably will sound most strange to some of you - but this is how I see it. It doesn't cause distress.

I seem to remember that other people have discussed similar experiences on the forum.

whisper

whisper

Founding Member
thanks Apotheosis,
yeah you're deffinatly right having a close support network is realy helpful, i'm wondering when do you know when a person is ok to talk to and run things by on voices, thoughts e.t.c.? as i find personally if i talk to friends about that sort of stuff they seem ether to be uncoftorble, ignorant or unwilling to take another perspective than that i am mad so i then feel i have to make it more of a comical thing and downplay the seriousness of the issue i'm trying to talk about with excessive amounts of slapstick, cynical &/or self degrading humor so that they will accept it as a subject more readily and even then the stuff i'm hoping to get support on is generally not taken into considderation and all that the conversation ends up in is a stream of graveyard humor jokes and peoples stories on encounters with people who are menatlly ill in which there is at least 3 punchlines and no actual helpful element, so i'm a bit at a loss about talking to friends on this sort of thing.

yeah breathing exercises when things get tough is a good one although i'm yet to utilise the skill, i'm hoping to try some exercises on breating a few minuets a day, is there any special way to do the slowing down of breating that people use or is it just what it says on the tin?
observing the self & detatching sounds hard but i'm sure you'll get it soon (y) practice makes perfect....but please dont become like Mr spock you're way too groovey :)
i know this is going to sound really stupid but what is and is involved in Raiki?
yeah exercise is in need of improvement for me to, my extent of exercise is searching furiously for the TV remote....still cant find it, i'm pretty sure one of my ducks has hidden it the feindish feathered fowl :LOL:

I'm glad to see that there are positive aspects as well, with your guides it seems like a really positive thing that has developed, from haveing one's that were more desturbed to having one's that look out for you

thanks for the link i'll check it out soon
thanks v. much Apotheosis this has really helped me and hopefully other poeple will find it as useful as i have (y) :clap: :hug:

A

Apotheosis

thanks Apotheosis,
yeah you're deffinatly right having a close support network is realy helpful, i'm wondering when do you know when a person is ok to talk to and run things by on voices, thoughts e.t.c.?
There isn't anything about myself that I have not shared at one time or another with other people. I suppose that it does involve a degree of risk. I know how ignorant & un-understanding people can be. But there are good people out there, & you will find that many people have touched on this stuff, or at the least will be a listening ear. I don't really make any secret with anyone about having had MH "problems"; but I am more selective now in who I do chat with & I get to know people first before I go into too much detail.

For around 5 years, from when I was first ill, I spoke to no one about my experiences. I thought I was unique & that people would run a mile & not understand. I ended up back in hospital at 21 & I had begun to open up with people a little bit. I remember asking the psychiatrist if what I had experienced around certain ideas was common; he refused to tell me. I then began talking openly with the other patients & found that they opened up too & were mainly happy to chat about just about anything. I found 2 other people during that stay who had had almost identical experiences to myself.

Things have progressed from there. I started being honest with people about how I felt & thought, & with what had happened in the past. I don't see anything which I have been through as anything to ashamed of - & if someone is a friend then they will listen & not think any less of you. I do joke about this stuff with friends - & I laugh at myself, but I think that can be very healthy. I do find that other sufferers & people who have experienced MH issues to be the more understanding & compassionate, on the whole, simply because they have been there & they can identify. I am also involved in addiction recovery groups, & I am grateful to have met some very good people through these avenues. Some 6 years ago I met someone who had gone through an almost identical set of "delusional" experiences in their youth - they had gone on to have no more contact with the system & to live med free. They have been an immense help as someone who is a survivor & has largely managed to operate & function fully outside of the system. It is good to know people who have "been there" & come out the other side.

I have to go to college now, but I will reply to the rest of you r post when I get back. Bye for now. :hug:

whisper

whisper

Founding Member
thanks Apotheosis
yeah it's always good to be able to laugh at ourselves i'm useually able but its just recently i've been too tried with exams and difficult voices ect to make an effort to be humorus, but no worries
i've ended up learning to not talk to anyone about my voices but the psych i'm doing work with atm, and untill i joined this forum i haddent met anyone with voice hearing issues, it is really nice to see people who has had such problems but has overcome them :) got a few friends like that who i hear from every now and again and it always makes me smile to hear how they're getting on

have a good time in collage and thanks for the help (y)

A

Apotheosis

yeah breathing exercises when things get tough is a good one although i'm yet to utilise the skill, i'm hoping to try some exercises on breating a few minuets a day, is there any special way to do the slowing down of breating that people use or is it just what it says on the tin?
The technique which I learnt is this - breath in slowly to a count of five. Breathing from the diaphragm is done by breathing from the bottom of the lungs, & so you use your whole lung capacity. To test this place one hand on your chest & the other on your stomach. Your chest should not move, & your stomach should rise & fall. It does take practise. Hold for a second on the in breath - then slowly breath all the air out for a slow count of 5, or whatever is comfortable. hold for a second & then repeat. After a while a slow rhythmic breathing becomes second nature & can be done anywhere.

This is also virtually identical for one of the main Buddhist meditation techniques. Do the above sitting upright (or lying down), & concentrate on your breath - try to focus exclusively on the breath. The still point between having exhaled & before inhaling is the point of stillness or completeness.

If you want to try more meditation the other main old & simple techniques are these -

Simply relax & observe your thoughts as they pass through your mind; like the waves on a sea. There is no need to think about anything in-particular. The aim is not to have "no thoughts" as some people mistakenly think. But rather to be in a place of calm, where the thoughts you are having do not cause disturbance; or you are not disturbed by them.

The last technique is to focus, with your eyes open, on an image or object. Often this can be an image of the Buddha. But it can be any pleasurable image. A candle flame is also a good thing to practise with.

I also do visualisation journeys sometimes. which are many & varied. Try some on-line searches. there is no wrong way of meditating.

Here is a very good web site about meditation -

http://www.meditationcenter.com/

i know this is going to sound really stupid but what is and is involved in Raiki?
Reiki - very simply is healing. Spiritual healing - although it works on every level; the physical, mental, & spiritual. Literally translated Reiki means - Universal Life Force Energy. It is very relaxing, therapeutic, harmless, & complementary to other therapies & orthodox treatment. There are probably as many understandings of Reiki as there are practitioners. I learnt the terra Mia & Seichim forms of Reiki - but individual training is unimportant if it is with a competent teacher. Patrick Zeigler was the originator of this particular form or Reiki -

http://www.reiki-seichem.com/patrickstory.html

There is allot of info on-line.

http://www.reikiassociation.org.uk/3.html

Just Google Reiki.

yeah exercise is in need of improvement for me to, my extent of exercise is searching furiously for the TV remote....still cant find it, i'm pretty sure one of my ducks has hidden it the feindish feathered fowl :LOL:
You keep Ducks? That sounds great. I love animals.

I'm glad to see that there are positive aspects as well, with your guides it seems like a really positive thing that has developed, from haveing one's that were more desturbed to having one's that look out for you
I have my up's & downs, & life goes with taking the rough with the smooth. I am presently stable on the whole, it's been over 3 years since my last major "episode". I prefer this time of year, I usually find things somewhat hard every year at the beginning; once we get past April, then things usually improve with the brighter weather. I think that we can learn & grow from whatever our experience & that there are allot of positives to be had from MH experiences which can seem so hard at the time.

thanks v. much Apotheosis this has really helped me and hopefully other poeple will find it as useful as i have (y) :clap: :hug:
Thank You whisper. You raised the subject. :)

Last edited:
whisper

whisper

Founding Member
thanks Apotheosis,
been trying the breathing and meditation exercisies today, although whenever i try to focus on anything when i'm in a good mood i tend to giggle as i've got quite an active & abstract imagenation which i've got very little control over, but thanks for the advice i'm getting there slowly :)

I'd heard of Reiki but hand never actually known what it was, thanks for the links i'm looking at the links as i type they're really interesting

Yeah i guess that everyone has smooth & rough patches, it's good that you've got better bit of the year comming up, and yeah thats so true i think that most people with MH experiances can take positives from the parts of their lives that are so hard to deal with

yeah i've got two ducks, three chickens, two guinie fowl chicks and three cats and i love them all to peaces.

hope you dont mind me asking but do you speak to your voices or do you just listen??

thanks for the advice and links (y) :hug:

A

Apotheosis

yeah i've got two ducks, three chickens, two guinie fowl chicks and three cats and i love them all to peaces.
That sounds great; I long to be able to keep cats again; it is not possible where I am living at the moment. I visit my mum often & she has two cats there, who I am very fond of. The male tom cat catches allot of rats & mice, he brought a moor hen into the house the other month, he would eat the guinea fowl chicks! He would probably attack a duck & chicken as well. Do you allow all the animals into the house, & do they all get along?

hope you dont mind me asking but do you speak to your voices or do you just listen??
I have "heard" voices rarely in the past - where they were as real as another person talking (from outside of myself). At those times I didn't interact with them. At those times I believed they were not a part of me. The things I describe as "thoughts which appear to have personalities", I don't know if I would say that they are voices as such. But yes I do interact with them. There is often a three of four way conversation in my head, between these "personalities" & me, & occasionally I say stuff out loud (but not in company). Occasionally I don't like the attitude of the dominant male & will occasionally swear at him or tell him to go away (usually with will full thought)- which he usually does, but this is rare, it is mainly friendly interactions. But they are not there all the time, when I am thinking about something & especially when I am making a decision - however small, they often appear. It is like I ask for guidance or an answer & get the reply, often they disagree, depending on the perspective of the situation & their type. But I stress it is for the main part very subtle. If I get very tired sometimes &/or stressed I sometimes get like a chattering in my head, but that is something different again I think. It is hard to put allot of these things into words. I probably sound completly crazy by saying all this.

I don't know if I am the best person to give advice on this either. If I was "hearing" voices in the literal sense, I don't know how I would go about dealing with it, especially if they were nasty. But I think that I would enter into a dialogue & try reasoning, arguing, disagreeing, & all kinds of interaction in fact. I do think that there is allot of meaning within the majority of MH experiences & suppressing this stuff I don't think works. I have heard of people engaging with their voices with positive results; & heard of psychologists using techniques to talk directly with the voices. I do firmly believe that in allot of cases the "Voices" do relate to real issues & events - often traumatic. In my own life I have explored allot of my MH experience in quite some depth.

My MH experiences have revolved far more around incredibly strong "delusional" ideation. I have seen things, so clearly & vividly, that they appear real. It is like a film in my head, projected onto the world. It is as if what I am experiencing is happening in front of me. As examples - I have seen demons fly out of chimney tops, been terrified to look behind me when lying in bed as I saw the devil sitting in a chair behind me, I have seen localised weather directed into a few metre radius around the car from satellites; while I have been driving, & the future & the past transmitted through the TV. They have become very complex "ideas" at times, involving a real & unreal world existing side by side with two of everything (including people), & switching between & interacting with each other. vast plots being played out between the forces of Light & Dark, often involving Aliens & Advanced beings, all kinds of stuff. It has gotten very bizarre at times.

These "acute" episodes haven't usually lasted a long time, a few months mainly. Although there has been quite a number of them. I am very grateful in that I start to gain a degree of insight into what is happening, after a while. While I am stable I do get odd days & moments, but they are short lived & I am able to deal with what is happening.

I hope that some of that can be of help. :)

Last edited:
whisper

whisper

Founding Member
lol nah the chicks and the cats are in the house and the chinckens and the ducks are outside
thanks for talking about the voices and episodes i think it's really helpful to hear about other peoples experiances with MH stuff especially stuff that is closly related to our own and i'm glad that you are able to deal wth your stuff better now :)
thanks for the links i'm looking at the books and the info atm :)