Talking therapy denied

Q

Quasar77

I had recently paid by local community mental health team an official compliment. However despite being sincere in this I can't get a care manager despite severe difficulties. I am regarded as "severely disabled". And talking therapies will not even assess me. They were cool even quite cold bordering almost I thought on hostile about offering me talking therapy saying that because I'm under the cmht I should not qualify for talking therapy. But I have little mh support other than my psychiatrist who gave me the telephone number for talking therapies herself

I'm annoyed. I feel like I'm being fobbed off because by situation perhaps is complex I can't understand it

Am I alone in being disregarded for talking therapy I such a cold manner. I hope not. I hope this is not typical

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi
i had talking therapy for 5 years when i was 20
i was re referred some years later and told i was not a suitable candidate
my advise is speak to your GP explain how you think it would benefit you and ask them to refer you again
welcome to the forum
lots of love Lu x

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

I hope they approve you for talking therapy. It's different over here in America. Most psychiatrists force their patients into therapy. :rolleyes: Sorry that happened to you. :hug:

Cazcat

Cazcat

I've recently had a similar experience with IAPT saying that they think I already have enough support and don't need them, whist my other support tells me that I need more support than they can offer.

It would be worth going back to your psychiatrist and asking if they can either speak to this service on your behalf, or refer you to a psychologist within CMHT for this support.

Q

Quasar77

Thankyou so much everyone for the kind and thoughtful replies
I rang the talking therapies for the second time this morning but they said that even though the doctor had written down the telephone number that it was their decision and not the Gp. I pointed out that it was the consultant whereupon they just kept reiterating that I can't be under two services at once. I hope they will reconsider. They are going to contact me before the end of the week. It will be difficult to get a good rapport I imagine after this. But I am proactive and all I want is to try goal setting. I'm suffering from quite frightening depression associated with difficulties that may or may not be connected directly with my mental illness. Which has lasted fir decades. I was given talking therapy in 2014 even when I was in the cmht and had a care manager as well so their reasoning and logic doesn't seem right. But if they have reasons why they don't think I'm suitable which they don't want to reveal to me then I accept that. Perhaps they don't thinknincould benefit from the kind of talking therapy they offer. That is ok. But I've suffered from depression since the early nineteen eighties and I am struggling in many ways more than ever and also with the most dramatic determination of my life.

If I cannot get talking therapy I will continue to make as much effort as I can. There are still countless resources though it's difficult to work out what's best. There are self help workbooks for example. But with me the reasons for my depression seem very involved and remain very difficult to extricate without almost trying to rebuild my entire life from scratch. I want to make life more bearable for myself but do accept that if the answers are now so difficult to find ie that trying to find them may only involve making the original problems get even more complicated. Then I will have to take stock try to think of all the good things in my life. Of which there are many. And try to concentrate in these. However because of other difficulties that have caused me distress for at least as long as my depression which cause my mental health issues to get worse Each problem seems to make each other worse. It's difficult. I try very hard to solve the difficulties I have. In despair when it seems that the solutions are more difficult than the problems. And the depression is getting worse and after all these years no service seems to know what to do. I had hoped that the talking therapies would have been able to work extensively with me at least to help me think things through and set goals. But it might not work. The emotional irritation created by their apparent indifference and reluctance even to assess me is something I can rise above. I just try very hard to overcome bouts of increasing depression which maybe aren't "severe" but in conjunction with worry hurt me very greatly even though it might be difficult fir the teams to understand why it is that this precise combination of difficulties causes me such extreme distress

Can I say thankyou once again fir the warm welcome. I really have great hopes that as I grow older I will live to see huge advances in treatment fir mental health issues that will help as many people as possible. I've had depression anxiety and schizophrenic related illnesses for thirty six years or so and - I really hope to find new ways to cope. Though it's been difficult I just keep reminding myself that life can get better. There are all sorts of other things I could have suffered from also and that I should try to count my blessings. Which I do. Even so I am worn out by the strain of depression etc for such a long time.

Very best wishes and thanks once again

Quasar

A

AntipsychoticREFUGEE

Wow. Severely mentally ill and denied therapy. Just grind some pills and wish the best? I might have some need myself too for that. Haven't been too smooth ride. no one is willing to talk? Even one per month online support would be better than this.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
his ambivalence about recovery makes it impossible to find a focus for therapy, my ambivalence is the nhs on med recovery, i've experienced it not been a fit for work recovery and thats all they offer

i was hoping after benefit street was aired showing benefit atttitudes in brum were i first lived they'd be more understanding

and these pc london social workers whode pride themselves on their multiculturilism as far as someone from jamaica is concerned but can't relate to my benefit street talk from birmingham i hate them and hate been called racist when i make that comment as wel

i think those who push therapy have usually had private therapy not nhs therapy or those joke mind councilersl