• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Talking Back

S

spuntree

Does anyone ever find that the only way they can get some rest from voices is by just talking back. Like most people I have different coping methods. Music is one of the best I find, especially playing an instrument, i play the harmonica and that sometimes really helps. Today though it's just not working, and all I can do is answer, the longer they go unanswered the louder and more aggressive they get. But I find the more I answer and engage in conversation with them the madder I get. It's like a vicious circle. I don't want to decend into their world, I fear if I go to far I wont come back, but I can't just ignore it either. I am dammed if I do and dammed if I don't. And they wonder why so many people who hear voices end it all. Tell you I feel like chucking in the towel!

D

dlzoidberg

With me, I often find answering the voices make them angry and louder, and also make the episode go on for ages. This was also the case when I thought it was the neighbours talking to me. (which I did again, for a short time on Monday, the first time in six months)

I try laughing at times, but, as I live in a shared house, I get some funny looks! :LOL:

W

whiteeagle

They seem to me to operate along the lines of a control paradigm, there are various ways of taunting to engage with them and try to regain control or give in to them. I don't think either approach would work in the long run because either method invites further engagement from the voices.

Changing the environmental conditions in which they occur in some way can be very helpful and some experimentation may be required to find the right way.

I've recently been experimenting and found that just thinking 'I don't accept that, tell me something useful' leads them to either give up or actually reveal something of potential value. If the latter occurs I just think 'leave it with me'. And try it out in my own time. And this, for the timebeing at least, seems to work.

I'm fortunate in that there is only one precise condition that leads to me hearing voices and I already know what that is. So I imagine that for a lot of people adjusting their environment/circumstances in some way, or experiencing a variety of different environments/circumstances might point to ways of solving the problem. From my experience I would say that eating well, and having a good sleeping pattern and self-nurturing generally, doing things I enjoy doing, contact with other people, normal levels of varied auditory input, doing things to help others a little, are all positive steps.

D

Devon

I know some people use a variety of methods to deal with their voices.

Some agree to discuss things with them but only at certain times.

Whatever you do, I think its best that you have the upper hand, you stay in control.

I find it works with me. I know the voices aren't real but if I treat them as if they are real I can then use different techniques to deal with them.

Negotiation, Discussion etc