Talking about mental health vs physical health

S

Scum_dizzle

Bit of a rant..bit of truth...
Just had a lovely argument with my mum over how all my family do is complain about physical health problems and get all the sympathy in the world. But when I bring up my mental health issues it's like a taboo subject and completely ignored.
Sure mum asks everyday how I'm doing, but is that just out of courtesy or does she really care. What Would the response be if I was to spill all my problems out like they do with their physical ones. It's just a very one sided story and it makes me mad. It's shows how far we still have to come to really understand mental health.
So yeah. What is everyone's view of this? Do you have to deal with hypocritical people who want to talk about their problems but completely ignore your own? I don't even know own what I'm getting at

S

schizophrenic123

Bit of a rant..bit of truth...
Just had a lovely argument with my mum over how all my family do is complain about physical health problems and get all the sympathy in the world. But when I bring up my mental health issues it's like a taboo subject and completely ignored.
Sure mum asks everyday how I'm doing, but is that just out of courtesy or does she really care. What Would the response be if I was to spill all my problems out like they do with their physical ones. It's just a very one sided story and it makes me mad. It's shows how far we still have to come to really understand mental health.
So yeah. What is everyone's view of this? Do you have to deal with hypocritical people who want to talk about their problems but completely ignore your own? I don't even know own what I'm getting at
I know what your going through. My family won't let me talk about anything because in their eyes it's crazy. Well, it is now. Mental Health doesn't exist in their world, its one sided. I tried multiple times to speak with them at different times during this with no success. My family is narcissistic but never will see it. They left me in a very unfair situation and their is nothing I can do to fix myself or them concerning this. Very Unfair, especially when you are so aware of it happening. I hope you can have a conversation with them so they know how important mental health is to everyone. Good Luck.

S

Scum_dizzle

I guess we are still a way off from being able to talk openly about mental health issues. I think alot of people are still closed minded when it comes to this sort of thing and if they don't hear about it it makes it not exist

S

schizophrenic123

I guess we are still a way off from being able to talk openly about mental health issues. I think alot of people are still closed minded when it comes to this sort of thing and if they don't hear about it it makes it not exist
They Suck.

N

natalie

I noticed this thread, earlier in the day, couldn't manage to post;

well, my GP, practice group are excellent of quality of standard of service, and way before i became very ill, my former group practice senior in chief number 1, when I happened to have been in, checked my weight, even.

Unfortunatley, she has retired throuigh ill health, no no not mental, her heart condiitons.

Years later, I have an excellent group practice number 1, senior in chief, who manages my mental health case, very well, and I can't find faults via him. Mind you on one occasion, he stipulated that i was on 15ml, of Ariipipazole, eh, I felt, I'm on 25ml back then, and still am now. Apparently, he was looking at the wrong part of screen, well errors can happen, I suppose, in their method of working.

As he once said to me, you couldn't come of the current med, otherwise hearing voices wise, I'd be like how i was in the past, so on that note, he knew indirectly my mental health case very well.

Although i am an as and when case now, and not flagged up every so often for reviews, i believe he'll still have it within him, to monitor me, and especially med taking even if i'm not in surgery room, in person.

Mind you, I still like to think, now where is that review appointment, because i am now and as and when case, reviews for mental health, I just can't win, to get them, how, because i am a very stable and balanced through med and being "creative" for mental health and with medication.

Creative meanging, volunteering, working out in fitness, listening to music.

S

schizophrenic123

Natalie,
I think they do as good of a job as they can but they do make mistakes too. We're all human. I don't think I could ever be a doctor because I wouldn't want anyone's lives in my hands. They do have the education so I guess we just have to trust that they know what their doing. I know we all have our bad days but it sounds like your really doing well. I'm going to try to add fitness to my list next year. Keep up the good work:hug:

S

Scum_dizzle

Errors definitely happen and there's no avoiding it. I've been on 15mg olanzapine for months now. Once when I went to get my prescription I noticed the box said 20mg. I was straight on their case saying how could you make such a mistake? But that's all it is at the end of the day, a mistake. Would the same happen to someone with a heart condition...I very much doubt it. Because we have to fight our own minds we are seen as lesser importance.
I think to get real help you have to literally be screaming and rocking in the corner of a dark room