• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

taking control

J

jema88

hi people.. i need to take control of my life i let being bi polar control me.. :unsure: which i know i shouldnt but i do i was only diagnosed 9 months ago still up and down my meds are fine its just if i miss use drugs and alcohol.. which i tend to do when im hyper im getting better thou.. just feel like everyone around me doesnt actually notice the good things i do as soon as something bad happens there all mad and get mardy with me!!

:(

my mum know's everything im doing everyone i see etc.. i feel like i need to take some control back or is this just cos im hyper at the minute??

or shall i give it a go???...
xxx

lulubelle

lulubelle

Hi Jema!!

I am definately a fan of taking control of this, if at all possible. I could be a little nieve- having only just been diagnosed but i'm trying anything- thinking of BP as a seperate person who I daily beat the crap out of seems to have helped a bit!!

I'm feeling high to atm, been getting slowly more high for nearly a week, but i dont see my pdoc til 30th april and not sure if i have to wait til then for any meds adjusting?

Its probably a little easier for me with the drink and drugs thing, I gave up years ago now, it took leaving everyone i knew and the area i lived to stop, but it worked! I was offered all sorts at a party I ended up at Saturday but only had a couple of spliffs (which from what I've done in the past is bloody amazing- i'd of had it all!)- plus a friend of the family was their policing what was offered to me- nothing would have got past him, its probably what we all need!!
On the other hand going to that party was a stupid thing to do- I was on one and bumped into 7 strange men and went off with them- not smart or safe! It was only a god send that the party they took me to was of someone I know, which took me an hour to realise!

I think beating ourselves up the mistakes we make is going to make it worse, so we have to dust ourselves down and try better next time, guilt will kill you!:hug:

Other things I've found are helping are lists of tasks, sounds silly but sometimes the only goal I set myself is to have a wash, eat properly and be a mum, because some days thats all I can manage, and I figure if I can get back to doing the simple things the rest will follow.

I find it difficult to eat most days still, but have a juicing machine- its fantastic, you can juice fruit and veg, so even if i cant get any solids in i'm getting the vits and mins from the juice, which has got to be a good thing!

sorry well rambed on and dont even know if it makes sense or is helpful??:oops:

A

antipsionic

I can relate to what your saying about it taking getting away from everyone and everything to give up drugs Lulubelle, I did the same thing (though I'm still a part time alcoholic when the mood takes me!).

And I agree, don't beat yourself up about it, just keep trying to get back on the horse if you fall off! Anyway gald your safe and hope the high doesn't last to long. Take care.

M

maudikie

if you are on antipsychotic medication youshould not take alcohol as it doesn' mix. There are lots of soft driinks which are just as -oeasant and i would suggest such thinkgs as Canada dry or fresh fruit juices etc. Give thema try.

A

antipsionic

I drink only occasionally now (usually when I'm really stressed) and yes I find that combined with the anti-ps I get really smashed, until recently I hadn't had a drink for three months, which is an imporvement over the ten pints (and several vodkas) everyday I was drinking a few years ago. Not had a drink for around ten days now, been back to playing computer games to keep myself occupied, thanks for the advice :).