• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Taking Control of Medication: Joanna Moncrieff and the “The Myth of the Chemical Cure”

v01ce5

v01ce5

In this video presentation British psychiatrist, Joanna Moncrieff discusses the implications of taking psychiatric medication.

She focuses on the implications her research has for people taking the medication, people living with someone who takes medication and those who prescribe the medication.

She asks:

Why do we take psychiatric medication?
What does the medication we take actually do?
What is a good relationship with medication?
What does this conversation mean for you?

This event was organised by the Manchester based Taking Control of Psychiatric Medication Network, part of the Organic Recovery Learning Community.

Joanna Moncrieff is a British psychiatrist who has published extensively about psychiatric medication. Her books include “The Straight Talking Introduction to Psychiatric Drugs”, “The Bitterest Pill” and “The Myth of the Chemical Cure”.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I take it because it makes me feel better

Hello513

Hello513

My billion dollar high tech malibu mansion
I take it primarily to get to sleep. Without sleep I become psychotic, and recently I have found I cannot sleep well without some type of medication.

Also I may need them to help regulate my mood to some degree unfortunately, but primarily I take them realizing if I do not I may eventually relapse into a form of psychoses again due to sleep deprivation.

A

ASWER

ACCOUNT CLOSED

In this video presentation British psychiatrist, Joanna Moncrieff discusses the implications of taking psychiatric medication.

She focuses on the implications her research has for people taking the medication, people living with someone who takes medication and those who prescribe the medication.

She asks:

Why do we take psychiatric medication?
What does the medication we take actually do?
What is a good relationship with medication?
What does this conversation mean for you?

This event was organised by the Manchester based Taking Control of Psychiatric Medication Network, part of the Organic Recovery Learning Community.

Joanna Moncrieff is a British psychiatrist who has published extensively about psychiatric medication. Her books include “The Straight Talking Introduction to Psychiatric Drugs”, “The Bitterest Pill” and “The Myth of the Chemical Cure”.
THANK YOU

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O Should I stop taking Wellbutrin? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 13
Dav Anyone taking Latuda? Lurasidone Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 8
L Am I taking the wrong drugs? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
U Taking quetiapine and needing weight loss advice. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
N Temporarily taking 15ml - reason, for sleeping better overnight, terrible previous night Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
D I want to stop taking my Psychiatric Medications Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
S 9th day of taking paroxetine for ocd, help! Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
Snow °• Can anyone tell me their experience taking Epival? •° Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 0
S I feel like treatment is taking too long Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 13
O Coming of Venlafaxine whilst taking Mirtazapine Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 11
R Can I stop taking these two medications? PLEASE HELP! Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
G Lamotrigine (Lamictal) taking away my emotions Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
Poopy Doll Stomach upset from taking my pills Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
Anime-Alchemy Stopped taking venlafaxine Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 9
D Taking medications that I shouldn't be taking Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
cpuusage 6 Things I Didn't Realize About Taking Antipsychotics Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
F Does taking antidepressants during pregnancy harm the child? Here are the facts Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
J I have been taking zyprexa for 9 years.How to cut it off correctly? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
Nikita Seven things that happen when you stop taking anti-depressants. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
V really odd feeling after taking meds? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
Not_Crazy_Yet Taking meds on time Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
F The more psychotic you are, the more benefit there is in taking antipsychotics Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
V am now taking benzoes Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
B Does anyone have Tachycardia when taking Mental Health Medications? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
Lincoln1990 Done with taking meds Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
U anyone have experience taking Nortriptyline 10mg,.. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
raquelmaria15 Why do I hate taking my medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 23
Catastrophe Anyone on here taking 200mg of Sertraline? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 9
F Antipsychotics: Taking the Long View Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
D unsure 'bout taking new med Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
rainbow-warrior Stopped taking medication for 5/6 days Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
F Taking medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 15
F Beyond Harrow & Jobe: Taking Stock of the Current Debate on Psychiatric Medications Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
mitsie65 Times for taking medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
G Nervous about taking SSRI's. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
D Can taking these pills remove Feelings/Emotions forever? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
E is anyone taking quetiapine?? need some advice :) Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
A Anyone taking trifluoperazine? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
S Control in the USA Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
F Antipsychotic Medications and Risk of Acute Coronary Syndrome in Schizophrenia: A Nested Case-Control Study Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
Lincoln1990 Seroquel/birth control Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
cpuusage Psychiatric Drugs and Mind Control Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
M Has anyone had a drug added to control shaking Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
historygirl21 possible addition of new medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
G Needle Pricking sensations all over body ?? Medication ?? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
lifecangetbetter medication for anger? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
R Medication works less due to Allergies Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
K Medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
T I am going to be discharged from cmht to gp, am i allowed to come off the anti psychotic medication? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
Dav How do you stop your medication dosage being increased Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2