• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Take Care

C

Cl0uds

These past couple of days I've been down.
I know I'm getting bad again when I feel continuous fatigue and can't be bothered doing the most basic daily tasks. I'm sure you've felt the same, or worse. But on these days I let myself crumble. I let myself be heavy and lazy and emotional because I know my mind and body needs me to be.
I almost behave as if I'm physically unwell aside mentally. So I'll stay in bed or on the couch all day, doing what I want (or what I can), wearing what I want, watching or listening to what I want, eating what I want and not worrying how I'll exercise it off.
I let myself fall apart and not give a crap because I know it's a necessary rest for when my mind starts to get better.
Once all of the pain and sadness is felt and expelled from the system, the peace and joy that comes after will be strong and more appreciated.
It's possible for everyone.
What I'm getting at is, take care of yourself in little ways that comfort you. Treat yourself like a best friend, like you are someone precious even if you don't feel it. You deserve care.
If you can't rest completely due to other commitments, try keep tasks as minimal and stress free as possible. <3
I feel better-ish at the moment, I didn't shower yesterday (although I love being clean) but I did today. Small achievement unlocked.
I'll be going back to work soon which scares me - being social again. ugh.
But we all adapt, we all strive forward even if it seems impossible, because we're all capable of bouncing back.

Take time to treat yourself. What would you do?

Z

ZechariahElijah

Thanks for sharing! It has taken me a long time to realize that it's ok to take a sick day when my depression makes me crash. I've been learning to call out sick and cancel meetings/appointments. If I don't take care of myself I can't take care of my responsibilities.

When I crash (that's what I call it when depression makes it impossible for me to function), I make sure to wear my most comfortable t-shirts and sweatshirt. I take time to sleep in and rest where it's quiet. I give myself permission to watch a show or read a novel or do whatever I am capable of doing. Anything that sounds overwhelming I don't do. Now I just need to keep taking my own advice :doh:

C

CabbageMama

Clouds, I feel a lot of this post. I didn’t shower yesterday either. I knew I would feel much better for it, but didn’t feel better enough to do it. Today, I had to make myself shower, but felt a billion times better after I had. Then I moisturised and used perfume, instead of only deodorant. I had assumed I would put black or grey clothes on, but chose a red and white striped jumper with a big red star on. Blue jeans, gold trainers. Because. I am meant to be going back to work soon too, so trying to get in to my peopley zone. This afternoon, instead of driving to get bits from the Supermarket, I grabbed my rucksack and walked, so I would have some fresh air, sunshine, exercise and potential extra interaction with people. My treat is feeling satisfied when I have managed to achieve stuff like I have today.

N

natalie

Hi Clouds,

When it comes t o employers p rospectively and mental health combined, it's not so clever - there would have to be just the right employer to have you on board, and it is a very grey area. I ocne when applying for work, I put I heard voices, now I've vowed, and will vow, I won't ever do that a gain, in the sense of volunteering even.

I wish you hopefully well, with your work, I have a sneaky feeling you are just feelinghighly anxious at present.

Best regards.

C

Cl0uds

Thanks for sharing! It has taken me a long time to realize that it's ok to take a sick day when my depression makes me crash. I've been learning to call out sick and cancel meetings/appointments. If I don't take care of myself I can't take care of my responsibilities.

When I crash (that's what I call it when depression makes it impossible for me to function), I make sure to wear my most comfortable t-shirts and sweatshirt. I take time to sleep in and rest where it's quiet. I give myself permission to watch a show or read a novel or do whatever I am capable of doing. Anything that sounds overwhelming I don't do. Now I just need to keep taking my own advice :doh:
Crashing is a good term, explains the feeling pretty well.
The only time I've ever called in sick to work is because of depression, I used to make excuses all the time to get out of meeting with friends, going to parties etc..
It's great for you to chill and take things easy, life doesn't have to be huge or rushed or manic.
I also fail to give myself good advice which is why I remind myself of the whole 'treat yourself like a best friend' concept, if you think a friend deserves it then you do to :)

C

Cl0uds

Clouds, I feel a lot of this post. I didn’t shower yesterday either. I knew I would feel much better for it, but didn’t feel better enough to do it. Today, I had to make myself shower, but felt a billion times better after I had. Then I moisturised and used perfume, instead of only deodorant. I had assumed I would put black or grey clothes on, but chose a red and white striped jumper with a big red star on. Blue jeans, gold trainers. Because. I am meant to be going back to work soon too, so trying to get in to my peopley zone. This afternoon, instead of driving to get bits from the Supermarket, I grabbed my rucksack and walked, so I would have some fresh air, sunshine, exercise and potential extra interaction with people. My treat is feeling satisfied when I have managed to achieve stuff like I have today.
Hey CabbageMama, I'm glad you can relate :)
It's pretty astounding how much a simple act can make you feel better. Showering, brushing your teeth, even just staying hydrated. You don't have to be in tip top shape every day.
I get what your saying about clothing choice. When I was at my lowest point, I always (almost sub-consciously) just wore black and grey. Dull and plain stuff. Then when my mind started to clear a little, I bought my first pair of pale blue jeans after years of the same black ones, and I strut everywhere feeling so bright and cheery! There can be huge impact in the little things.
I'm proud of what you achieve even if you're struggling a little. Never let that big star fade :)

S

Signofthetimes

I love the smell of oils, lotions, candles etc. , so I treat myself to them, and hot baths and showers. Love music too and coffee.💕

C

Cl0uds

Hi Clouds,

When it comes t o employers p rospectively and mental health combined, it's not so clever - there would have to be just the right employer to have you on board, and it is a very grey area. I ocne when applying for work, I put I heard voices, now I've vowed, and will vow, I won't ever do that a gain, in the sense of volunteering even.

I wish you hopefully well, with your work, I have a sneaky feeling you are just feelinghighly anxious at present.

Best regards.
Hey Natalie - I understand what you mean when this all relates to work. There aren't always easy ways around it depending on your occupation and employer.

Still it's okay to find the time we can for ourselves. There are supportive places like here to turn to when we need to shed some weight, to which I am grateful :)
I do feel anxious about work, but sharing that makes me feel more accepting of it. Life's gotta move ahead.

Wish you well X

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I don't really like taking a shower (too overwhelming). I'll take a shower two or three times a week. How I primarily take care of myself is to go back into bed when my depression is too much to handle--also probably two or three times a week. I've also started to watch movies or tv shows again. I mainly take care of myself by walking around six miles a day. Final note: I hate any type of mindfulness or meditation! I just can't relax.