• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Tactile hallucinations(?) and Sensory Processing Disorder

V

Velvet Skinned

So I've been feeling things on my skin that aren't there for years now, and I always know they're not real cause they feel just a bit 'off' from reality. They're usually triggered by me thinking/reading/hearing about a texture or experience which my body then recreates in some way on my skin.
For example if I think about yogurt I feel yogurt all over my hands/lower arms, etc etc. If my brain is busy enough with other things this tends to happen less, but its definitely a regular occurrence throughout my day.

The main problem with this is that I also have Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and certain tactile sensations are overwhelming and distressing for me in ways they aren't for most people. As you can likely imagine this is a terrible combination, especially since the SPD makes it very hard for me to forget about/ignore a sensation I'm feeling if its distressing and the more I think about it the more I feel it. Its a vicious cycle that I struggle to break out of every time.

I dont really expect anyone to have the same experience but I just needed to get it out there somewhere and who knows, maybe someone is experiencing the same thing and would like to talk about it. I could really do with talking to someone who gets it since its so hard for people without both conditions to understand how truly awful it is.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hi Velvet Skinned,

Just popped in to say I've read your post and you are extremely brave to be dealing with these two conditions. :hug:

Welcome to the forum and I hope we can give you some support and friendship through this. x