• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Tackling Anxiety, Depression and Borderline OCD

M

Mintymint

Throughout my early life I've reacted to nearly all antidepressants and meds to lower anxiety or ease depression, only to suffer ill side effects. Not helping during all this is I have 'sticky blood', so I'm being permanently prescribed anticoagulants because I'm at high risk of getting a deep vein thrombosis again and my life threatened by pulmonary embolism. The anticoags can clash with these antidep meds and to an extent, anxiety also. I began getting desperate.

Until I discovered running. The joy of running. Like in all weathers come rain, shine, snow with the exception of raging gales, every morning I put on my running gear, tog up my tootsies and off I run like a rabbit.

Running has liberated me! Whoop-de-doo! :D Have a look at this article on BBC News of August last year.

Running is not for everyone. I took my doctor's advice and tried it because physical activity such as running, or even surfboarding, skateboarding and the like can make a dramatic difference on our moods, he said.

This was years ago, bvut I thank the BBC for putting out that interesting article and great pictures of the enthusiasts.

I stress that we must always take our doctor's advice before even thinking about stopping meds. This is vital for our wellbeing to listen to our doc's advice, always. Occasionally I'll take a Diazipam that is prescribed me. It's a low dose and I keep a regular note of when it's taken along with any other meds: month, day and time of day.

When coming home to shower and eat a bigger meal (having previous stoked up on porridge before the run for energy's sake), I come home feeling absolutely great. Some of my older kids join me for our weekend trot. It's good having their company, too.

I have a little OCD now, but nowhere as much as I used to. There is always the need to arrange things just so, be it pots of paint, firewood or ingredients on the kitchen table ready-to-go. But that OCD doesn't define me. A little tidiness is helpful, always productive.

So here you are. Consider running if your doctor recommends it. Not forgetting your favourite packet of mintymints. ;)

A

AnxiousPaul92

It's very nice to read that you found an outlet that makes you happy! Thank you for sharing. I may try running to work through my anxiety. 😊

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G anxiety Anxiety Forum 1
K anxiety getting worse - can barely leave my house now Anxiety Forum 1
I Extremely high anxiety, ran away from a video interview yesterday Anxiety Forum 9
V What do you do when your anxiety peaks and spins out of control? Anxiety Forum 3
Jam1990 Having dreams that cause me anxiety Anxiety Forum 3
H Anxiety and antidepressants Anxiety Forum 2
MrBond007 Anxiety is extremely high at the moment (I’m currently on holiday) Anxiety Forum 5
P Anxiety over friend who keeps trying to reconnect Anxiety Forum 1
U What's Something Good you've Learned from Having Anxiety? Anxiety Forum 11
S Anxiety was really bad last night Anxiety Forum 4
J Anxiety Over My Apartment Being Cleaned Anxiety Forum 5
T Anxiety all of a sudden Anxiety Forum 4
B Can infertility cause anxiety? Anxiety Forum 10
H Is it a type of anxiety? Anxiety Forum 3
MrBond007 My anxiety has been high ever since last night. Anxiety Forum 7
jessethome Experiencing Anxiety and Negative Feedback Loop Anxiety Forum 4
C Anxiety about the future Anxiety Forum 2
W Scared, anxiety Anxiety Forum 4
Mr.NiceGuy Anxiety and pain in the spine Anxiety Forum 2
R Separation anxiety Anxiety Forum 3
F bad anxiety Anxiety Forum 2
M Unexplainable anxiety Anxiety Forum 14
S Severe anxiety from pests Anxiety Forum 3
T Sinus Anxiety Anxiety Forum 12
A Health Anxiety Episodes Anxiety Forum 10
R Please just tell me what worked for your terrible anxiety..... Anxiety Forum 12
MrBond007 My anxiety is just not stopping. Anxiety Forum 21
HopefulCockatiel I'm going crazy or it's just anxiety Anxiety Forum 10
R Anxiety Anxiety Forum 5
A Emet Anxiety Help Anxiety Forum 2
S How can I better handle anxiety from bad memories from when I was 14? Anxiety Forum 16
L Planning a Pregnancy and suffering from anxiety Anxiety Forum 1
MrBond007 Anxiety/OCD over created fighters in a video game. Anxiety Forum 1
C Anxiety or ms?? Anxiety Forum 8
L Anxiety over Pap Smear Anxiety Forum 7
R Separation anxiety in adults Anxiety Forum 1
F Anxiety & insomnia Anxiety Forum 2
E Hoping its anxiety and not rabies Anxiety Forum 1
M Thoughts maybe ocd and def anxiety Anxiety Forum 6
W Anxiety Attack Symptoms For Almost A Week Anxiety Forum 4
L Is This rationel or is it anxiety and OCD? Going crazy Anxiety Forum 2
Topcat Anxiety causing school refusal Anxiety Forum 15
C First post here for social anxiety Anxiety Forum 4