• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Syngenesophobia (fear of a relative)

J

jamraspberry

I have had Syngenesophobia (fear of a relative) for several years. My phobia symptoms are so bad now that I don't know what to do anymore. Every day is just misery.

Do any of you also have this phobia? Or any advice to cope?

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Yeah I have had that phobia in the past. It turned out I have PTSD from childhood abuse though and a good reason for the phobia.

Is yours an irrational fear or could there be any underlying reasons for it?

J

jamraspberry

:hug: Sorry you had this phobia too @SunnyDaze

I have syngenesophobia because of 50% underlying reasons, 50% irrational fear.

Underlying reason: anxiety and panic attacks triggered by an irresponsible abusive relative.

I have always had an irrational fear too, I remember just feeling uncomfortable and having anxiety attacks for just being around certain relatives, even some good relatives.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Have you been to see a professional for this or is this a self diagnosis?

Might be worth seeing someone for if you haven't or aren't. Abuse by one relative can cause anxiety/phobias of others.

Hugs

J

jamraspberry

It's a self-diagnosis for now but I will try and get a diagnosis from a professional.

Thank you SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

It's a self-diagnosis for now but I will try and get a diagnosis from a professional.

Thank you SunnyDaze
I'm glad you're going to seek a professionals help with this. Honestly,I doubt you will be diagnosed with what you think it may be. I think a professional would likely focus on the reasons behind your fears.

Hugs

J

jamraspberry

I'm glad you're going to seek a professionals help with this. Honestly,I doubt you will be diagnosed with what you think it may be. I think a professional would likely focus on the reasons behind your fears.

Hugs
There are so many counsellors out there on the internet, it's amazing, I am trying to find the right counsellor for me. I'm browsing through different counsellor websites. I haven't chosen a counsellor yet.

:hug: thanks

J

jamraspberry

I'm using the psychologytoday website to search for a counsellor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Phobia Forum 7
H Phobia Forum 1
I Phobia Forum 4
W Phobia Forum 2
xPhantomThiefx Phobia Forum 1