Synchronicity, Intentionality, and Archetypal Meaning in Therapy

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Synchronicity, Intentionality, and Archetypal Meaning in Therapy

Abstract

“Synchronicity, Intentionality, and Archetypal Meaning in Therapy” addresses the frequent occurrences of synchronicity in psychotherapy and their potential influence on the therapeutic relationship. Such synchronicities can take the form of biographical parallels, shared dreams and images, and striking astrological correlations, with a specific focus on the first session, marking the initiation of the therapeutic relationship. The research was based on interviews with thirty therapists. The presented case examples demonstrate how the observed synchronistic connections generated for the therapeutic couple a greater sense of connection, efficacy, growth, and healing, with often a profound sense of a greater intentionality informing the shared process of transformation.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Well, here's synchronicity for you. I had a boyfriend 25 years ago that I had to get rid of as per what I had learned in SLAA. Now it's 2015 and I put my graphic novel on a fund raising website Indiegogo looking to raise money for self publishing. Now my ex boyfriend gets on the computer to look for plumbing supplies for his sprinkler system and by accident ends up on my fund raising page. He stops to look at it and figures out that it's me because he knows this story, he was around when I went through all that mental hospital shit. So he decides to fund the book to the tune of two thousand dollars. And he contacts me and we both knew it wasn't an accident that he found me 25 years later. It was synchronicity. Proof that there is predestination going on all around us that we generally aren't aware of.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Synchronicity and the Story of our Lives | TIME IS ART

by Gary S. Bobroff via TheMindUnleashed.com

What if I told you that something is pulling us toward a more meaningful future? What if I told you that what’s driving us isn’t our past wounds or our family history but something that wants us to become all that we can be? Bigger still, what if I told you that your ego’s story about who you are, should be or should’ve been, is also not what’s driving you?

The Psyche Is Present and Future-Oriented

When we watch our dreams closely over a long period of time, we see in the patterns a larger evolution unfolding. As we integrate something the dream world has been trying to tell us (either consciously or unconsciously), time and again, we see a corresponding evolution in the next phase of dreams. Internal evolution into greater forms is what Nature does with us through dreams; we are always being pulled toward a future that’s bigger than we could ever imagine for ourselves. The future wants to make us more whole, to flesh us out on the inside, to bring more of our character to life in the world.

The recognition of this force in us is part of what makes the psychology of Carl Jung different from most other schools. Nearly every other method focuses primarily on listening to the concerns of the ego or the past: only Jung’s approach points us toward an unfolding future goal within us. When we feel connected to the stages of growth in the greater story that’s unfolding, we experience our life as meaningful.

Perhaps the most astonishing way in which this unfolding can come into our lives is through experiences of synchronicity: where events conspire to mirror inner images and meaning breaks through into the outer world. When this happens, the calling remains the same: to re-examine our attitude to the world in the present; how are you being called to bring more of who you are into the world?

“. . . it is addressing life in the present that cleanses and heals a festering wound. Jung never tired of saying this. After the past is explored, additional inquiry into yesterday does not lead to further healing. A change of attitude into the present does, and this change of attitude is exactly the business of a synchronicity.”

– J. Gary Sparks, At The Heart of Matter

Don’t Let Ego Get In The Way

One of the ways that we most commonly miss connecting this process is through the ego. Simply by insisting that our own story is the only true one, we can repeatedly avoid seeing the evidence to the contrary. The ego wants to maintain its view of the world and hold onto its comfortable attitudes, and in doing so it blocks us from changing our attitude about the world and we remain stuck. The biblical story of Moses and the Pharaoh exemplifies such rigid ego insistence. Without connection to Nature’s deeper voice in us, we grow too big for our britches. “Without that communication, the ego tries to set up its own kingdom.” –Marion Woodman

We can express this ego inflation in positive or negative ways. Positively, we can color experiences through the lens of what we want to be true, imagining that the world is giving us what we want (when something deeper is often afoot, synchronicities are not always a blessing [article link]). Negatively, we can insist on our ‘bummer’ story and ‘know’ that we’ll never get what we want.

The courageous act is one that places the ego’s attitude at risk. In challenging, not just how we think about the world, but how we feel about it, we come to discover the truth that we’re really living thought. In letting go of the old attitude, we can choose to listen for the larger voice in us. Instead of seeking to successfully solve symbolic puzzles, the goal then becomes one of the heart: successfully living a new attitude. Rising to meet this challenge asks more from us than just rational analysis, we are required to participate with thewhole of who we are. In this way, we can understand what Jung meant when he said that “we don’t solve our problems, we outgrow them.” And is this also not the call of the mystic’s path?

Plugged Into The Big Questions

We can interpret the fact of synchronicity into spiritual or religious forms and call it Grace or something else, but we can’t shut the door on our knowledge–today we know that this force exists, it is a fact of Nature and we can’t pretend it away. Clearly, it’s the same force that the ancient Chinese writers of the Tao and the I Ching were observing, wrestling with and relating to. Objectively something exists in the world that wants us to grow into greater forms–what would you call that?

(Be careful not to put it into a too small a box with your answers, there’s good reason to suppose that such a force might be bigger than our power to ever comprehend it).

The much more important question however is can you plug yourself into that fact (without inflating up and thinking you own it)? There’s a joy in making that connection, when you can.

Participating consciously with reality of the mystery of dreams and synchronicity means no longer settling for comfortable over-simplifications. They call us to full-bodied and whole-hearted participation and no other substitute will suffice. You will be challenged to face your blocks to getting the most out of life and to construct an attitude of genuine, dynamic connection to the source. Here’s a hint: the path is within you.

We’ll be exploring the mystery of synchronicity and the evidence for the extension of consciousness in the work of Rupert Sheldrake online this fall – come join us!
Gary S. Bobroff, is featured in the film, Time is Art, and is an author, workshop leader and a Jungian and archetypal coach. He delivers the depth of Jungian approaches in a visual, accessible and engaging form. He is the developer and facilitator of Archetypal Nature and the founder of JungianOnline.com connecting clients with Jungian-oriented therapists worldwide (via phone or Skype). He has a Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy from the University of British Columbia, Canada and Master’s degree in Psychology from Pacifica Graduate Institute. Andrew Harvey called his book, Crop Circles, Jung & the Reemergence of the Archetypal Feminine “an original masterpiece.“ – GSBobroff.com

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRGLofA3Eek

Time is Art: Synchronicity & the Collective Dream Documentary Film | TIME IS ART

The documentary film follows Jennifer, a writer who is compelled to make sense of the mysterious and powerful energy she felt at her aunt’s deathbed. A series of strange coincidences leads her on an exploration of synchronicity – the concept that everything is interconnected, and that time is not so much a chronology as it is an infinite cycle. Considering herself something of a skeptic, she treads the fine line between nervous breakdown and ecstatic revelation as she seeks out guides in her search for answers. Together, they explore a reality where time is transformed from a unit that can be measured and commodified -“Time is money”- to an experience of oneness with the natural rhythms of nature and the universe. It is here that the writer discovers that time is, in fact, art.

“Time is Art” is ultimately the story of an artist’s search for inspiration in a money-driven society that shuns creativity, and of the human search for meaning in a seemingly meaningless world. Presented as a cinematic meditation along the lines of Waking Life and Samsara, this film takes an experimental approach that allows us to experience reality as Jennifer begins to see it – one less concerned with linear storytelling, and more open to the cyclical patterns of nature, the hidden meanings of symbols, and the dreamlike overlapping of people, places, and moments.

Compelling conversations with fellow seekers Toko-Pa Turner, Richard Tarnas, Amy Lansky, Graham Hancock, Daniel Pinchbeck and Rupert Sheldrake as well as artists and activists guide us through the underlying premise of the film: perhaps we can tap into a way of being that is not ruled by a finite sense of time, but rather by the ability to live in harmony with the true creative nature of our existence.

Inspired by acclaimed & visionary author José Argüelles’ studies in ancient indigenous wisdom, this film explores the idea that modern humanity is immersed in an erroneous and artificial perception of time that deviates from the natural order of the universe. We have become disconnected from the natural rhythms of the earth by focusing only on money, consumerism and exploitation while deep down inside, we crave the return to a foundation of culture, community, and creation.

As Jennifer navigates the labyrinth of her own light and darkness, she opens herself to a new reality in which everyone and everything appear connected by a larger purpose. She is revealed to be part of a global movement of people challenging a linear and restrictive consciousness in exchange for one grounded in meaningful connection and action – a template for a new era where we are one with the earth and each other.

This feature-length documentary film is part of a transmedia project exploring synchronicity and new forms of consciousness. The filmmakers have already produced seven episodes of the web series “SyncStories”, and are currently writing the screenplay for a fictional narrative film inspired by Jennifer’s journey. We hope to use these various art forms and media platforms as a way of sparking reflection and dialogue around how we perceive life, and how we choose to live it.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
“With Synchronicity, all the resources we need are made available to us at the precise moment that is appropriate. The people who come into our lives are the ones we need at that moment in time. Everything is perfect. We only need to recognize this to tune into the flow. Everything happens for a Reason and Every Experience is a Learning Experience.”

~Alex Chua

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Synchronicity and the Mind of God: Unlocking the Mystery of Carl Jung’s “Meaningful Coincidence” -

Synchronicity and the Mind of God: Unlocking the Mystery of Carl Jung

The following is excerpted from Under A Sacred Sky: Essays on the Philosophy and Practice of Astrology, recently published by The Wessex Astrologer.

“Those who believe that the world of being is governed by luck or chance and that it depends upon material causes are far removed from the divine and from the notion of the One.” –Plotinus, Ennead VI.9

While preparing for his role in the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz, actor Frank Morgan decided against using the costume offered him by the studio for his role as the traveling salesman Professor Marvel, opting instead to select his own wardrobe for the part. Searching through the racks of second-hand clothes assembled over the years by the MGM wardrobe department, he finally settled on an old frock coat that eventually served as his costume during the movie’s filming. Passing the time one day, Morgan idly turned out the inside of the coat’s pocket only to discover the name “L. Frank Baum” sewn into the jacket’s lining. As later investigation confirmed, the jacket had originally been designed for the creator of the Oz story, L. Frank Baum, and made its way through the years into the collection of clothing on the MGM backlot.

Most of us have, at some point or another, experienced certain unusual coincidences so startling they compel us to wonder about their possible significance or purpose. Do these strange occurrences hold some deeper meaning for our lives? Or are they simply chance events, explainable through ordinary laws of probability, as most scientists claim?

Among those who wrestled with these questions was the famed Swiss psychologist Carl Jung. Having experienced many such uncanny events himself, he coined the term synchronicity to describe the phenomenon of “meaningful coincidence.” Whereas some coincidences were indeed without significance, he wrote, every so often there occurred confluences of circumstance so improbable they hinted at a deeper purpose or design in their unfolding. 1

To explain such phenomena, he theorized the existence of a principle in nature very different from that normally described by conventional physics. Whereas most visible phenomena in the world seem to be related in a cause-and-effect manner, like billiard balls bouncing into one another, synchronistic events appear to be “acausally” related, as though linked by an underlying pattern rather than by direct, linear forces.

For instance, the presence of Baum’s coat on the film wasn’t caused by the making of the film, nor did the appearance of the coat somehow cause the making of the film; they simply were dual expressions of the same unfolding matrix of meaning. Jung went on to postulate two primary kinds of acausal relationships: between two or more outer events in one’s life (as in the case of Frank Morgan), or between an outer event and an inner psychological state.

Since it was first published in 1952, Jung’s concept has increasingly filtered into popular culture, having found its way into the plot lines of TV shows, works of pop-fiction like The Celestine Prophecy, and the lyrics of rock groups like The Police. In more scholarly quarters, there have been attempts to shed light on this theory through classifying various types of coincidence, scrutinizing it in terms of statistical studies, or even explaining it through quantum physics.

The search continues. In a letter to the late Victor Mansfield, Jungian disciple Marie-Louise von Franz wrote towards the end of her life:

The work which has now to be done is to work out the concept of synchronicity. I don’t know the people who will continue it. They must exist, but I don’t know where they are. 2

So what, ultimately, is the message of synchronicity, and how shall we best unlock its significance?

What I’d like to suggest here is the possibility that understanding synchronicity may require nothing less than a radically different cosmology than we’re accustomed to, one with roots in a very ancient way of thinking–and one in which Jung’s “meaningful coincidence” actually plays only a small part. Let me explain.

Most of us are familiar with the well-known parable of the blind men and the elephant. According to the story, a group of sightless men come across a great elephant, and each one tries to determine its nature from their own limited perspective. For the man grasping only its trunk, it seems to be a large snake, while for another, feeling only its leg, it’s more like the trunk of a tree, and so on. Because of their partial and limited vantage points, none is able to grasp the true nature of the creature, since that can properly be understood only from a larger, more global perspective.

In much the same way, I’d suggest that by focusing our attention primarily on isolated coincidences we are only witnessing one small facet of a much larger reality, one with many different expressions and dimensions. Unlocking the true significance of Jung’s theory thus requires that we step back and attempt to grasp the broader perspective of which synchronistic events are only a facet.

[Active Links & Rest in Link]

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Synchronicity is evidence of predetermination. Our higher consciousness is dreaming this world's events. I had a bit of synchronicity six odd months ago. My ex boyfriend, whom I've had no contact with in twenty five years, did not even know where he lived, was looking for sprinkler parts on the internet six months ago. He "accidentally" landed on my fund raising page for my book. He stopped to read a bit and realized the story was about me. He messaged me through the fund raising site and was inspired to fully fund the publication of the book. He and I both knew this was synchronicity. He is, in fact, a character in the book. It is evidence that the world is already put together and arranged.

I very much like the Wizard of Oz wardrobe story. :)

ps The synchronistic event also showed us that our relationship in the past was not a "mistake" even though we were breaking "rules". It also showed us that the little book was meant to be.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sucuri WebSite Firewall - CloudProxy - Access Denied

“Synchronicity is an ever present reality for those who have eyes to see.” – Carl Jung

The term ‘synchronicity’ was coined by Carl Jung. Throughout his life, Carl Jung came up with slightly different explanations of this complex subject, but the basic meaning is there for us to understand. He said if ‘meaningful coincidences’ occur with no ‘causal relationship’, but seem to be meaningfully related, this is synchronicity.

In other words, if unrelated incidents happen to you and you find yourself seeing things in a different way and feel more connected to who you are because of these experiences, then you have just experienced the wonderful world of synchrony. Carl Jung came to the conclusion that synchrony is a governing dynamic which underlies the whole of human experience. Quantum mechanics now verifies this statement and we will look into that later in this article.

[Rest in Link]

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Synchronicity does happen but sometimes I wonder why, the events that follow are not always happy. As often as not synchronicity leads to huge mistakes in life by following what you believe is a chosen path. Maybe these are tests to see if you continue to make the same mistake. For me when it happens you get a sick feeling in your stomach. I am just saying that synchronicity is not always a good thing.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Synchronicity does happen but sometimes I wonder why, the events that follow are not always happy. As often as not synchronicity leads to huge mistakes in life by following what you believe is a chosen path. Maybe these are tests to see if you continue to make the same mistake. For me when it happens you get a sick feeling in your stomach. I am just saying that synchronicity is not always a good thing.
I've had the sick feeling in my stomach and then a bad thing happens. Isn't this more like premonition of a bad thing and not synchronicity???