• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Symptoms

L

lakeman

Founding Member
In mid february my mother in law was taken ill and admitted to hospital, three days later my wife rang her sister to update her after a visit, during the conversation my wife mentioned that mum was getting tired during the visit and that having a lot of visitors was tiring her out. Sister took this to mean that she should not visit her mum and slammed the phone down (we all live near the hospital)

Next night my wife phoned her sister again to chat about mum and was subjected to a 20 minute tirade of abuse about how she always took over things and ruined a trip we had all had 2 years previously (which was news to us), then accused her of sneaking some female sanitary pads into the hospital to mum, (who had asked for them).

The next time we visited mum, sister arrived with a pack of the sanitary pads and was almost waving them under my nose asking mum if she wanted large or small etc, (very embarrassing)

Prior to all this

Sisters daughter is having a few financial and personal problems and had a foul mouthed rant in front of her 3 year old about how he was ruining her life, so my wife told her sister to keep an eye on her which she was doing, having the youngster at weekends etc, the other day sister accused my wife of dumping R**** on her

Basically she is blaming my wife for all her lifes ills, even though the opposite is the case, my wife was the one she turned to after 2 broken marriages and other problems

Historically they have always got on ok apart from minor tiffs, although sister is a bit "highly strung" and will fly off the handle over fairly minor things, about 20 years ago she was off work for months with depression,

I may be in the wrong forum, but does anyone recognise the symptoms

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Lakeman and :welcome: to MHF :hug:

Not quite sure how I can help at the mo, but wanted to welcome you to a very friendly forum with lots of different topics:)

Stay around someone will be along shortly to help you.:)

D

Dollit

There doesn't have to a mental health reason for this sort of behaviour. No one on any sort of forum could make a diagnosis even if there was - that would have to be done face to face with a suitably qualified professional.

Family members do tend to let go more freely at one another, especially under times of stress, than they would with other people.

Some people are extremely sensitive to what they see as criticism. I wouldn't be too hasty in putting tags or labels on people but it may be an idea to ask your sister in law if everything's okay and it would give her a chance to talk if she needed to.

L

lakeman

Founding Member
Thanks for the replies, I have talked to her eldest daughter who lives away to see if she would sort of mediate and pave the way for a meeting but after a couple of calls she broke down and pleaded with me not to see her mum, she would not say why. My plan was to arrange both to see a counsellor who had rescued a friends marraige, my wife also feels that my involvement would be detremental to an already bad situation, I also fear that I would loose my temper with her

I really think this will split the family beyond repair all over nothing of any importance

D

Dollit

Lakeman follow your wife's wishes and it's good that you take a back seat if you may lose your temper even if your intentions are good.

Sometimes time and distance can work wonders.