Symptoms worse before period?

E

EstherRose94

Sorry if this is TMI but what the heck am I supposed to do about the role my hormones play in all this? I’m diagnosed with general anxiety disorder but I’ve always had OCD tendencies and actually pretty strong BPD-like tendencies which have recently taken center stage. I take Zoloft and I see a therapist and 3 weeks per month I’m my normal self and I can think clearly. The first week of the last three months I’ve been a wreck! It’s like my brain is hijacked and I’m not even in control anymore. I try to supplement with Xanax. (But it’s not prescribed to me so oops I really shouldn’t I just get desperate). I don’t feel understood. My bf takes my little meltdowns as fact and what I truly believe even after I can see clearly and apologize. He thinks I use PMS as an excuse to make my outbursts seem less my fault. I know that they’re my fault but I’m also just learning how to stop them. My mom says if it’s just PMS that causes these symptoms then I can handle that. I think to myself that’s like 25% of my life and plus I can do a lot of damage to relationships when in that state. Does anyone else experience this?

BPDevil

BPDevil

I noticed this recently with me as well, I've been pretty stable the past month or so, but the days leading up to my recent period I was a mess

crazy hormones for anyone can feel like hell, I think it feels 10x worse for people with emotional issues in general

the first time I had a suicide attempt, I was asked if I was on my period because apparently its common for a lot of girls to go through with it around that time, so I do think it should be taken more seriously and not be seen as an excuse

E

EstherRose94

Wow I didn’t realize the suicide link or that professionals were aware of a link like that. I’ll have to do some more digging into the scientific literature but in my opinion it’s not a well-known thing outside of scientists. Maybe it’s cultural but people tend to either joke about PMS or be like “oh you’re being crazy because it’s that time of the month”. When really it’s like “no, literally, one week or even more each month I feel like I become actually crazy. And by definition can’t contain all that”. I also know there’s a link because when I was on birth control in the past I was like a real disaster. I will never take it again. Like I’ll use other forms of protection and if those don’t work I guess it’s # mom life 😂

BPDevil

BPDevil

I never knew the link either before they asked me that question, but it makes sense and yeah I hate when people use terms like that because it feels like they disregard how you are feeling because its that time of the month

E

EstherRose94

I mean to be honest I kinda wish I could disregard how I was feeling during that time because like i don’t want to own up to that haha. I’m not literally insane but man did I seem like it yesterday.

E

EstherRose94

There are 12 papers on it but some are only kinda related and three are in Russian. So I’m gonna say it’s a definite thing but people aren’t rushing to figure it out because science is weird in that you get more funding if you study the hot topics of the time. Is that jacked up or what? Lol.

Luci

Luci

I find this is a huge issue for me. I am either in floods of tears at every little thing or angry and irritable at the slightest noise. I had the contraceptive implant fitted which has stopped my cycle and had been very helpful. I know this wouldn't work or be comfortable for everyone though.

D

dewey

Yes yes yes 100% yes.
It happens every. bloody. month.
That's when the really devastatingly low moods come out and I enter what I can only describe as delirium. I'm so low on my periods, I'm barely in touch with reality.
I'm shocked more research isn't being done into this.
People talk about PMS but this seems far more severe than just irritability and moodswings.
It must be for borderlines that periods are excruciating

D

dewey

Wow I didn’t realize the suicide link or that professionals were aware of a link like that. I’ll have to do some more digging into the scientific literature but in my opinion it’s not a well-known thing outside of scientists. Maybe it’s cultural but people tend to either joke about PMS or be like “oh you’re being crazy because it’s that time of the month”. When really it’s like “no, literally, one week or even more each month I feel like I become actually crazy. And by definition can’t contain all that”. I also know there’s a link because when I was on birth control in the past I was like a real disaster. I will never take it again. Like I’ll use other forms of protection and if those don’t work I guess it’s # mom life 😂
I had a pill prescribed that helped the symptoms. I think, like with the anti depressants, effects of contraceptive pills are very much dependent on the person.
But of course, I can see why you'd be reluctant to try again if you had a bad experience on one and don't want to go back 'there'.

For any females out there suffering with extremely bad periods (heavy) and extreme moods, and oily skin/acne, it's worth getting a blood test ultrasound done to see if you have PCOS. Your g.p. can tell you. Then you can get a referral to an endocrinologist.

D

dewey

There are 12 papers on it but some are only kinda related and three are in Russian. So I’m gonna say it’s a definite thing but people aren’t rushing to figure it out because science is weird in that you get more funding if you study the hot topics of the time. Is that jacked up or what? Lol.
Lol funny how there's always plennnnnty of funding for technology because that fuels the economy and the economy is the only important thing to humanity in the governments eyes.

D

dewey

I never knew the link either before they asked me that question, but it makes sense and yeah I hate when people use terms like that because it feels like they disregard how you are feeling because its that time of the month
Yeah it's a typical female putdown, right.
'Oh must be hormones, must be PMSing'.

E

EstherRose94

Well there is PMD which is diagnosable but idk if that is the same as this