Symptoms of Cyclothymia or Bipolar?

A

a1288

Hello, I am new here and I'm looking for some advice. I am a 28 yr old female, and I have had anxiety for some time now..well over 10 years. Back in highschool i went to a psychiatrist who, very quickly, asked me some questions and prescribed me Klonopin and another medication for depression. I honestly feel like I didnt have depression back then, as i was experiencing more anxiety than ever. I never took Klonopin and I started using breathing exercises which helped for a bit, but weren't very useful in the long-run. I get very agitated quickly, and I almost feel like an "itchy" feeling when i get to my "breaking" point before I yell and get very anxious. I went on Lexapro for about a year for my anxiety. I eventually cut down on lexapro because it wasn't doing anything for me anymore. I took a new genetics test which pinpoints the best medications for anxiety/depression and the result was a medication like lexapro, but, i felt otherwise. Some weeks I just want to stay inside and some weeks i can't wait to go out and shop, etc. I sometimes feel random bouts of happiness, or excited, which lasts maybe about a minute, then I feel "down" again. I have never felt unrealistic confidence in my abilities, which Ive read is a symptom of bipolar 1. In fact, Im really afraid of failure. I have changed my college major atleast 5 times, and when i think i just CANT do it, i back out. When I get angry, I don't think about consequences, I sort of "black out" and go into a fit of rage. I have been having a really hard time sleeping lately. I feel like my mind is always racing and I don't get a full nights rest. I am constantly worrying and thinking about something bad happening. I just found out about Cyclothymia and some of my symptoms fit it. I really don't know what I have but I just want to feel "normal" and I'm so ashamed and embarrassed to go to another psychiatrist. I have tried talking to my husband but he is not supportive or easy to speak to..

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Hello, I am new here and I'm looking for some advice. I am a 28 yr old female, and I have had anxiety for some time now..well over 10 years. Back in highschool i went to a psychiatrist who, very quickly, asked me some questions and prescribed me Klonopin and another medication for depression. I honestly feel like I didnt have depression back then, as i was experiencing more anxiety than ever. I never took Klonopin and I started using breathing exercises which helped for a bit, but weren't very useful in the long-run. I get very agitated quickly, and I almost feel like an "itchy" feeling when i get to my "breaking" point before I yell and get very anxious. I went on Lexapro for about a year for my anxiety. I eventually cut down on lexapro because it wasn't doing anything for me anymore. I took a new genetics test which pinpoints the best medications for anxiety/depression and the result was a medication like lexapro, but, i felt otherwise. Some weeks I just want to stay inside and some weeks i can't wait to go out and shop, etc. I sometimes feel random bouts of happiness, or excited, which lasts maybe about a minute, then I feel "down" again. I have never felt unrealistic confidence in my abilities, which Ive read is a symptom of bipolar 1. In fact, Im really afraid of failure. I have changed my college major atleast 5 times, and when i think i just CANT do it, i back out. When I get angry, I don't think about consequences, I sort of "black out" and go into a fit of rage. I have been having a really hard time sleeping lately. I feel like my mind is always racing and I don't get a full nights rest. I am constantly worrying and thinking about something bad happening. I just found out about Cyclothymia and some of my symptoms fit it. I really don't know what I have but I just want to feel "normal" and I'm so ashamed and embarrassed to go to another psychiatrist. I have tried talking to my husband but he is not supportive or easy to speak to..
hi and welcome

perhaps try a nice supportive GP in the first instance? Can you do that?

Sounds like you definitely need someone you can trust, please don't be ashamed.

Best
BDU

A

a1288

I'm sorry, what is GP? sorry I'm out of the loop! :doh:

Boomerang

Boomerang

Antidepressants can make people unstable sometimes. Have you tried Valerian for anxiety? More natural alternatives might be better for you.

A

a1288

Antidepressants can make people unstable sometimes. Have you tried Valerian for anxiety? More natural alternatives might be better for you.
No, i haven't. Ive never even heard of it before. Thank you, I'm open to any option...I did not like how lexapro made me feel after I was on it for more than a couple months.