• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Symptoms - Advice

F

Fairylights

Hi everyone, im new here and i joined yesterday and didnt want to post but i took the plunge today and have..

I have always been an anxious person but recently it seems to be taking over my life. I will explain.

I always worry and think of the worst scenarious, i wont do anything risky etc. As a teenager i would never go on the fast rides and when i hit 17 i stopped my driving lessons and they frightened me so much. I was ina car crash soon after and broke my ribs and now have panic attacks if i sit in the back of a car.

I thought it would get better when i got to university in 2008. I got very homesick but i would lay in bed thinking of horrible scenarios of what might happened to people i loved. I thought it was homesickness but its a year later and i am still suffering. When at home, (in essex not at uni) If my mum agrees to meet me after work i panic if shes 5 minutes late. If i cannot get hold of somebody i get paniced.

I live in a house with 4 of my friends at uni now, and every night i check the gas oven,(which i cried at when i realised we had gas as it scares me so much) the doors, the windows etc pretty obessively. If i am walking to uni/night out i get worried i have left straighteners on, or notlocked the door when i know i have.

I dread new year as i always get scared and think "what will this year bring"

I am claustrophobic and have panic attacks sometimes too, and always think the worst will happen.

This week has been the worst it will ever be, i cant sleep at night (ive always struggled to sleep anyway) and lay in bed worrying someone is going to try to get into our house, or theres going to be a gas leak, or i fall asleep and worry i will get a phonecall in the morning telling me something has happened to someone i love.

I struggle badly with death or change, and when i lost one of my pets 2 months ago it all snowballed from there, i have always felt "this way" but these past 2 months have been somethign else entirely.

Ever since i was 15 i always get "ill" if i am stressed, i get horrible tummy aches and have symptoms of IBS etc.

I also havent had a boyfriend or any man in my life for two years and i am 21 and everyone thinks this is odd. But I am far to wary of any new people.

I also twitch my feet and toes almost uncontrollably if i feel worried or anxious

I dont know what to do, does this sound like i have anxiety disorder? or something else?

Thank you for reading.

S

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey

It could be numerous things that are causing you to feel like this - some of it could be post traumatic stress disorder following the accident, I don;t know I am not a professional. The best idea is to print this post that you have just made and then make a doctors appointment and show the post to your doctor - they will be able to help you. Keep posting here you are not alone.

KS

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

Hi, :welcome: to the forum. Well done on making your first post. I think it's a very good post and one that you should print off and show your GP as it really describes your anxiety issues very well.

We aren't professionals here so we can't diagnose what is wrong but it does seem like you have anxiety and perhaps there is some OCD there too. As the above poster said perhaps this was triggered by the car accident. Have you heard of cognitive behavioural therapy?

F

Fairylights

heard of it a little.

am trying to get an appointment for thursday.

thanks everyone