• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Symptom questions about hypomania

• Thread starter butterflykisses
  • Start date
B

butterflykisses

To be completely transparent, I don’t have an official diagnosis yet. They are leaning towards bipolar II but are still kind of in the process of starting medication and ruling anything else out.
I’m just wondering, during hypomania, is there ever a time that feels exhausting? Even if it’s just once during the day? Or feeling like kind of the effects of sleep deprivation but also extremely energetic and euphoric all at the same time? But then just certain parts of the day that may feel more calm? Also, I’ve heard people say they can stay up all night then almost completely flip their schedule and sleep more during the day. That’s happened before but usually it’s only a couple hours of sleep every night and oftentimes that sleep happens in the afternoon sometimes when I start to kind of feel tired.
I know, I want to leave it to the professionals to diagnose but it’s helpful to at least know more about bipolar so that I can try and see if there’s any key differences in my own experience and bring it up to the psychiatrist.
Also during times of irritability, are there ever moments that are not completely agitating? Like it just feels like everything is annoying and frustrating but you are calm enough to not want to hurt someone and the agitation isn’t there?
Today my psychiatrist said I seem kind of hypomanic-y and I agree. Even though it kind of feels like mixed. There are some lingering symptoms of depression as well though which I didn’t really have time to talk about much. Any input and feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

Taking a break
sounds same as mine

once i had a mania that lasted for like 4yrs

i probobly got less then half as much sleep as everyone else

it was brutal. i literally went 4yrs and wasnt tired. but i was in brutal pain from lack of sleep. even though the mania was masking half the pain

B

butterflykisses

sounds same as mine

once i had a mania that lasted for like 4yrs

i probobly got less then half as much sleep as everyone else

it was brutal. i literally went 4yrs and wasnt tired. but i was in brutal pain from lack of sleep. even though the mania was masking half the pain
Wow I can’t imagine that. I’ve had four months of it but I can’t imagine four years. That sounds insane!

B

butterflykisses

I've had sleep deprivation for long periods of time. Horrible!
Ya it feels terrible. Have you ever had it to where there’s sleep deprivation for awhile, but then things start to seem normal, then get right back into that sleep deprivation? For months I was going back and forth between seeming hypomanic and very little sleep but then would start to catch up on it, but then would get right back to where I started. There were some times that I just had a “break” in symptoms. But it would still be the same episode. My psychiatrist said that that can happen and it’s very normal for people with bipolar. I don’t know for sure that’s what I have, but gathering information is always helpful.

soul searching

soul searching

My voice or my schizophrenia wouldn't let me sleep enough. I remember one year at Christmas time, it let me get 7-8 hours for several days and then went right back to not enough sleep. Every once in a while I would get a little more, but never enough. It made everything very hard. I was in alot of pain. It, my voice, has has not done this very much recently. It's been threatening, though. I sure hope not. It's really hard to cope with it and the longer it goes, the worse it gets. Hope you can get through this.

K

keith74

Ya it feels terrible. Have you ever had it to where there’s sleep deprivation for awhile, but then things start to seem normal, then get right back into that sleep deprivation? For months I was going back and forth between seeming hypomanic and very little sleep but then would start to catch up on it, but then would get right back to where I started. There were some times that I just had a “break” in symptoms. But it would still be the same episode. My psychiatrist said that that can happen and it’s very normal for people with bipolar. I don’t know for sure that’s what I have, but gathering information is always helpful.
During my wife's last manic episode, her mood fluctuated daily. Much of it depended on if she got some sleep the night before. She was very inconsistent on her meds for awhile and on the nights she actually took some of it, she would get decent sleep and be somewhat stable the next day. It was only when she finally started to be consistent with her medication (and sleep) that she started to get better.