• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Swollen feet

T

TabbyToes

Hmmm... never had this before. My feet have started swelling and seem to be getting worse.

I know that heat can cause a problem, but it's been hot before and I've not had swollen feet before.

Do you think I should see my doctor?

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

If it's putting you through pain and worrying you, it might be a good idea to see your doctor.

Emily.x :)

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I agree, see your doctor to find out what it is.
Good luck! :flowers:

L

lonelyandlost

How long have they been swelling?
You need to sit with them raised slightly and a col compress on them, if they don't start going down them a trip to your GP would be worthwhile

Hope all is ok :)

T

TabbyToes

Thank you for your replies.

I saw the doctor this morning. She thinks that more than likely the heat and that my body isn't draining the fluid as well as usual so suggested water tablets.

She told me to take them for 3 days and then miss a day and take another and to go back if I was still experiencing swelling (or go back sooner if I was getting pain or it got worse).

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I'm only saying this out of concern and personal experience, but beware of so-called water tablets. They can cause a lot of harm if taken too long.
The same effect can be achieved safely by eating celery stalks and limiting your salt intake.
Keep your feet up as much as possible is great advice. :)

T

TabbyToes

They can cause a lot of harm if taken too long.
Which is why she told me to only take them for 3 days and then miss days and go back if I wasn't better after a week.

I watch what salt I eat (and only use Himilayan mountain salt) and have been eating a lot of salad stuff (including celery ~ over a pack a week) but it doesn't seem to have done much...

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I understand.
The one time I couldn't control swelling was when I was on the med Depakote.
From the knees down, everything was swollen and I was so concerned because I couldn't function anymore...could not walk.

I wish you well, and hope you find some relief with the pills, and find the cause of the problem. :flowers:

T

TabbyToes

Thank you... I took one pill when I got home with the prescription and I slept for a few hours this afternoon.

My feet are already reduced in size ~ I wasn't expecting it so quickly! I'm going to see how they are tomorrow before deciding whether I need to take another. I doubt I'll need a third though!

L

lonelyandlost

I am glad they are helping and the swelling is going down :)
Hopefully after a sleep they will be back to normal when you get up :)

M

maudikie

Swollen feet.

Yes. You should see your G.P. and probably get some treatment. More pills I fear, but they work. You should have a thorough physical check to find the cause.