• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Switching from Zyprexa to Seroquel soon

BlueFox

BlueFox

Hello forum I hope you are well. I'm wondering if any of you guys have experience with Seroquel or other antipsychotics since I'll be starting it soon, particularly how was changing from one antipsychotic to another.

I'd like to know how various antipsychotics effect you and if you changed medications why did you swap and did you experience withdrawal if you tapered?

Many thanks, this is my first post on here so go easy on me :p:unsure:

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
:welcome:
We all having different diagnoses here and i am sure you know medication affects us all differently.

My limited knowledge of Olanzapine and Quetiapine, and i have taken both, was that i put more weight on when on Olanzapine, however, i felt more well on Olanzapine and also had a clearer head. This could be related to how unwell i was at the time as i was much more unwell when i started Quetiapine than when i started Olanzapine.

I have also taken Aripiprazole, which again from basic understanding/friends' experiences, i think is a good alternative if you are at risk of type 2 diabetes. I have had Amisulpride too and hated it. Many people do well on it though.

What are you worried about?
Why are you having to change?

BlueFox

BlueFox

Your reply it is much appreciated.

I'm mostly concerned about long term brain effects from Olanzapine, it seems to be linked to brain atrophy and I'm just looking for a more viable long term solution so I decided Quatiapine might work well as an alternative since it is very similar to Olanzapine in function.

I've also began to put a lot of weight on with Zyprexa especially with how hungry it makes me so hopefully I'll gain weight slower on Seroquel. I am worried a little about how Seroquel will make me feel mentally, I don't want to feel slow or sedated too much so hopefully that wont be an issue. With Olanzapine I'm quite clear headed and don't feel sedated per se even though I know I am so I'm hoping Seroquel is similar.

I was considering Aripiprazole too but my psych said it might make me more agitated, since thats one of my more 'up' symptoms I get agitated and very angry, so we're leaning less towards that one.

Thanks for your input hope you are doing well