• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Switching from Sertraline to Fluoxetine, advice?

H

hew44686

Hi everyone, I started on 50mg of Sertraline last month for depression but found it had lots of side effects, which made me feel a lot worse. I was on the 50mg for 6 weeks but couldn't take how awful I was feeling so have been on 25mg as of last week. The side effects have since reduced greatly and this drug is clearly not for me. I saw my doctor and she prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine but I am unsure of the best way to switch over to it. I am considering just switching straight over because I have only been on Sertraline for 7 weeks and the last week I've been on the lowest dose. I don't know if this is the best thing to do though. I have seen differing suggestions, which has left me confused.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to switch?

Thanks!

Z

Zoe1

ive needed alot of support when switching meds
either I went to hospital
or the mental health day centre, or wellbeing hub
they are sometimes called
somewhere I can sit quietly and have a chat with staff
about how I'm feeling

:grouphug: 🕯🍀

K

Kimmm13

I did the opposite. I was on 40mg fluoxetine and switched to 25mg sertraline then upped to 50mg. My doctor said she could either slowly reduce my dosage then start on sertraline or I could just go 4 days without any meds then start on sertraline. I chose to go 4 days without because fluoxetine just didn't work for me at all so 4 more days wasn't going to hurt after 2 months of being on it and it not working.

Catty5

Catty5

Hello
I don’t know what is the best way ???
But I switched Sertraline to Fluoxetine at inpatient. I was on Sertraline for 2 weeks. (25-50-100-150mg). Since I was on it only 2 weeks, Psychi reduced it to100mg next day. Then no med on the following day. Then I started Fluoxetine 20mg.