• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Switching from Depakote to Lamotrigine?

Z

Zoe1

k well might be helpful to let him know
that this discussion is being held about him

:grouphug: 🕯

H

HisWife

My husband knows I am looking for information, and that if he asks my opinion, i'll give it.

Z

Zoe1

he doesn't know you are having a lengthy discussion about him though
maybe he should be invited to look at it

H

HisWife

he doesn't know you are having a lengthy discussion about him though
maybe he should be invited to look at it
I'm really confused you how you think you know that.

I'm also really confused by why you ask me personal questions about my husband's feelings, and then get upset when I answer them.

Z

Zoe1

well sorry if it came across like that
I just have experience as a patient of being ' talked about '
I though you might find it helpful

S

SFGuy

My husband's psychiatrist indicates that she would like to transition him from Depakote to Lamotrigine. Has anyone made this switch? Did you make it overnight, or titrate one up and the other down? Did the switch work for you?
I'm a Lamotrigine failure. We tried to add it to my Depakote to fend off depression, but I was one of the people who gets non-stop headaches early in the titration. My doc raised the dose very slowly (we tried twice), but no luck. I have read that it's a great drug when it works and she loves the stuff.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Just remember that not everyone is the same and some, myself included, wouldn't mind people discussing their illness, especially if they were to find out they were just trying to understand the situation and help.

H

HisWife

I understand that you feel that way, you've shared it before. I think you take your experience and imagine that our situation must be the same. When I don't talk about his thoughts or feelings or put words in his mouth, you don't like that. When you ask questions, and I answer them, you don't like that.

When two people are married, and there are kids involved, then both people's needs need to be balanced. I need to hear from people with more experience. I make sure that I ask my questions in a setting that isn't public, that I'm not using his name, or speaking to people he knows. But to expect that my entire life can be turned upside down by his illness, and I don't ever talk to anyone isn't reasonable.

H

HisWife

I'm a Lamotrigine failure. We tried to add it to my Depakote to fend off depression, but I was one of the people who gets non-stop headaches early in the titration. My doc raised the dose very slowly (we tried twice), but no luck. I have read that it's a great drug when it works and she loves the stuff.
Thank you! This is really helpful. For example, I didn't know that headaches were something to watch for, or that it could be added to Depakote.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works for him.

Wishbone

Wishbone

In looking at studies last night one study sourced another study regarding Lamotrigine and Depakote clashing in some way. I tried to look into it but the study it was referencing was unavailable for free. I guess that wouldn't be too much of a concern if it's just a phasing out of one and onto another though anyway.

EDIT: Had another look. It seems that the Depakote can increase the levels/potency of Lamotrigine.

K

keith74

I understand that you feel that way, you've shared it before. I think you take your experience and imagine that our situation must be the same. When I don't talk about his thoughts or feelings or put words in his mouth, you don't like that. When you ask questions, and I answer them, you don't like that.

When two people are married, and there are kids involved, then both people's needs need to be balanced. I need to hear from people with more experience. I make sure that I ask my questions in a setting that isn't public, that I'm not using his name, or speaking to people he knows. But to expect that my entire life can be turned upside down by his illness, and I don't ever talk to anyone isn't reasonable.
Agreed! I first came to this forum during my wife's last manic episode and needed help. I needed a place to get answers and this forum was very helpful for that. Not only did my wife not know at the time, but she likely would have gotten upset if I told her since she told me that she was no longer bipolar and was cured "so stop talking about bipolar!". Now she is fully aware I visit this site and is very thankful I do, and also appreciative that I was concerned enough to really research everything I could about the illness (even if she was upset at the time). She thinks it is good that I have my own space to ask questions.

It's also important for you to have a safe space to discuss what you are going through and ask questions (without your partner around). I have been told this by therapists and others. So do not feel compelled that you must fully disclose everything you write on this forum to your partner.

H

HisWife

In looking at studies last night one study sourced another study regarding Lamotrigine and Depakote clashing in some way. I tried to look into it but the study it was referencing was unavailable for free. I guess that wouldn't be too much of a concern if it's just a phasing out of one and onto another though anyway.

EDIT: Had another look. It seems that the Depakote can increase the levels/potency of Lamotrigine.
From what I read taking Depakote with Lamotrigine somehow doubles the potency of Lamotrigine so they titrate up more slowly and stop earlier. I assumed they would be replacing D with L, but now I don't know, maybe he'll stay on both?

H

HisWife

Agreed! I first came to this forum during my wife's last manic episode and needed help. I needed a place to get answers and this forum was very helpful for that. Not only did my wife not know at the time, but she likely would have gotten upset if I told her since she told me that she was no longer bipolar and was cured "so stop talking about bipolar!". Now she is fully aware I visit this site and is very thankful I do, and also appreciative that I was concerned enough to really research everything I could about the illness (even if she was upset at the time). She thinks it is good that I have my own space to ask questions.

It's also important for you to have a safe space to discuss what you are going through and ask questions (without your partner around). I have been told this by therapists and others. So do not feel compelled that you must fully disclose everything you write on this forum to your partner.
I hope we get to that point where he appreciates my concern. We seem to be sliding from "There's nothing wrong with me, it's all in your head!", to "I'm a terrible horrible person and everything is my fault." The latter is a little easier on me, but not really any more realistic.