• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Switching from Depakote to Lamotrigine?

H

HisWife

My husband's psychiatrist indicates that she would like to transition him from Depakote to Lamotrigine. Has anyone made this switch? Did you make it overnight, or titrate one up and the other down? Did the switch work for you?

HLon99

HLon99

My husband's psychiatrist indicates that she would like to transition him from Depakote to Lamotrigine. Has anyone made this switch? Did you make it overnight, or titrate one up and the other down? Did the switch work for you?
I'm on lamotrigine, never been on depakote. However, its wise to slowly taper off drugs when your're switching. Lamotrigine is a fantastic drug, however it only works to treat depression, not mania. It would be best to also add an atypical neuroleptic or lithium to his regiment as well.

H

HisWife

Thanks!

I am obviously not the one making any of these decisions, just nervous. He's on Seroquel, Depakote, and Klonipin now. He has never had pure mania, just a couple mixed episodes, and long periods of depression.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I guess they're going with the depression side of things because of your son and the impact that has had on him. Time will tell if it's the right route but fingers crossed it is.
As for how to switch, your doctor should have advised how best to transfer from one medication to another but they're usually done gradually over a period of time. I would assume that the Seroquel/Quetiapine will keep things in order at this time, regardless.

H

HisWife

I guess they're going with the depression side of things because of your son and the impact that has had on him. Time will tell if it's the right route but fingers crossed it is.
As for how to switch, your doctor should have advised how best to transfer from one medication to another but they're usually done gradually over a period of time. I would assume that the Seroquel/Quetiapine will keep things in order at this time, regardless.
Over the course of our marriage, he's had years of depression, and this one mixed episode. He also had one or maybe two mixed episodes before we were married. So, depression is definitely the major concern long term.

His psychiatrist has indicated that he is considering this change, but hasn't actually prescribed the new med, so I just wanted to know what to expect.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Yeah, I noticed the depression mention afterwards. I remember you talking of the mixed episodes but that was drug induced wasn't it? Lamotrigine should be okay then. I've never taken the drug but most here seem happy with it for their depression.

H

HisWife

Yeah, I noticed the depression mention afterwards. I remember you talking of the mixed episodes but that was drug induced wasn't it? Lamotrigine should be okay then. I've never taken the drug but most here seem happy with it for their depression.
Yes, the depression has been a long term issue. The mixed episodes seem to be only drug induced. The seroquel, which he's been on for 3 weeks, seems to be restoring some rationality, and maybe reducing the "manic" piece, but it's also making it obvious that the depression has gotten worse since coming off the antidepressants.

H

HisWife

Obvious in what ways?
Difficulty initiating. Not showing interest in things he might otherwise be interested in. Lots of guilt and self recrimination, but not able to organize around fixing it.

K

keith74

Thanks!

I am obviously not the one making any of these decisions, just nervous. He's on Seroquel, Depakote, and Klonipin now. He has never had pure mania, just a couple mixed episodes, and long periods of depression.
My wife was on all three recently (though she stopped the Klonipin as her sleep improved). What is the dose of Seroquel that he is on?

K

keith74

Ok that is a potent dose. At that dose, it is good for mania and psychosis (in addition to depression). Is he going to stay on that in addition to the switch to Lamotrigine?

H

HisWife

Ok that is a potent dose. At that dose, it is good for mania and psychosis (in addition to depression). Is he going to stay on that in addition to the switch to Lamotrigine?
I don't know. I think, at this point, we are far from being at the point where he needs less medicine.

Z

Zoe1

what does your husband think about switching ?

H

HisWife

what does your husband think about switching ?
At this point, he hasn't chosen to talk to me about it, so I'll wait till he does to find out.