Switching antidepressants

H

hannah22

Anyone have any luck going from antidepressant to another? I started one two weeks ago and I am stopping my old one this Sunday. I am so scared. Anyone have any experience doing this?? (was on lexapro for a long time and I started Paxil about two weeks ago)

Crys

Crys

This is something that scares me. I'm on Citalopram and missed a few days because of a sick bug, then I was ill because I didn't have it. My doctor sometimes asks me if I want to come off it, I do, but I am scared of the withdrawal.
The good thing is you've already started your new medication so fingers crossed you won't go through too much withdrawal. I wish you all the best with this. :)

H

hannah22

Thanks!!! I hope so-I have tapered off of lexapro before and I did fine, but six months later, the anxiety was back with a vengeance!! So, I think I need to be on one forever:( I also started buspar a couple of weeks ago. So, I am not sure what i am feeling! :)

frogsplash

frogsplash

i've switched antidepressants many times in the past and never had any problems doing so apart from feeling a bit funny for a day or two at worst (nothing serious)
most of the antidepressants are from the same family (ssri's) and it isn't a major issue to switch when you need to. it's nothing to worry about, particularly if you do it as recommended by your doctor/using tapering etc