• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sweating

Steeeve

Steeeve

Has anybody here had problems with excessive sweating? I've been having this problem pretty much since I hit puberty around 8 years ago. I sweat constantly and uncontrollably from my underarms pretty much all the time, and I sweat buckets all over my body when I exercise. It's obviously extremely embarrassing in social situations and a big reason why I'm not particularly outgoing, but it's gotten to a point where I cant even bring myself to play sports anymore because I can tell how disgusted people are to even come near me. Not to mention the dangers of dehydration, which has put me in a hospital on one occasion.

Now I dont know if it is caused by my social anxiety or not, but it certainly exacerbates it. I'm going to my doctor soon to be tested for hyperthyroidism, which would make a lot of sense (it's linked to hyperhidrosis, Celiac disease, iron deficiency anemia, mood swings, etc. which are all symptoms I possess). But in the meantime I dont know what to do. It's really hard to explain to people why I have pit stains when it's freezing outside. I've tried prescription antiperspirants to no avail. The problem seems like it's pretty much untreatable until I can discover the root cause.

I dont really know what to do anymore. I'm at my wit's end with this problem. I feel like I have to walk around in a parka all the time just to hide it. What should I do?

Sine

Sine

Founding Member
Sweating Hell

Hi Steeve,

My husband and my son both suffer from Hyperhydrosis - my husband actually had an operation to stop the sweating in his hands. This operation is much easier these days.

They both use Mitcham deodorant which is very good and can be bought in any supermarket etc. Apparently, it can be hereditary.

Rather than hiding in your Parka, wear loose cotton T.shirts and cotton shirts. Wear your Jeans slack. You'll notice that the more you worry, the more you sweat. You'll find it easier if you laugh about it with your friends. My son discovered a friend at college who suffered from this condition and no-one knew! He hid it so successfully. My point is, you are getting so worried about it, you might find you are not the only one amongst your friends. Its more common than you think!

Love Sine :flowers:

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have hyperhydrosis aswell.I get it under my arms and on my hands.I haven't had any luck with drysol which is a powerful anti perspirant.
You could try 'drionic' which really does work.It is an electrical device that forces alluminium into skin completely stopping sweating for around 6 weeks.It is painful to treat yourself with this little machine,but it works.
They make one which is suitable for hands and feet,and one for your armpits.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
http://www.drionic.com/

I got mine off ebay.I also converted mine to run on mains electricity as the batteries are expensive from drionic.

S

Seethergrrl

Hi Steeeve,
I used to have this problem too. Are you currently taking anti-depressants? I found that whilst I was on Prozac (currently on Sertraline) this was a major problem for me. My back would literally be soaked through as would my face and forehead (cue lots of "Have you just thrown water over your face?") Plus, being embarassed about it makes it worse, hey? Catch 22 situation.
Mitchum deodarant is pretty good but definitely see your GP.
Good luck.

Behind The Sun

Behind The Sun

Hello steeeve, i used to sweat a lot under my arms until i tried a roll on called Persperex and i find it really good (no more wet marks on my tops :)You can get it from any pharmacy,also boots sell it.
There is also a product called Odaban on the internet which has really good reviews and you can buy it direct from their website.

Hope this helps (y):)

Sorry my friend ive just realised you are from USA so i think you might be better off looking on the web for persperex as i assume you dont have a boots in america (please correct me if im wrong lol)

Last edited:
jdoe123

jdoe123

Am

When I took Ambien CR ...I would wake up with saturating night sweats but it stopped when I stopped taking the Ambien. Good Luck..I hope you feel better

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
There can be several physical reasons for this condition. Sugical options are avalible but I know that one of the latest treatments is the use of Botox for underarm sweating.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There can be several physical reasons for this condition. Sugical options are avalible but I know that one of the latest treatments is the use of Botox for underarm sweating.
I'm interested in the surgery.They cut a nerve in the spine which controls sweating.No more nerve ,no more sweating!

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

There was a girl on Embarrassing illnesses and she had Botox and it seemed to work for her.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The problem with botox is that it is temporary like using a drionic machine.Surgery is permanent.It can go wrong though.I just hopoe to be one of the lucky ones.

A

Anastassia Florine

When my bf was in school, I think high school, he would be so anxious he would sweat so much his clothes would be soaked, and it embarrassed him a lot which caused him to sweat more... I would hate to have had that problem!

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Its getting really bad again.I must go and see my GP and get a referral to the hospital.I owe it to myself to get this sorted out once and for all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Social Anxiety Forum 6