Swansea support group

Schizoid

Schizoid

Wow after the horror stories about Swansea mental health care I'm glad I haven't seen anybody about mine! (from swansea). It really makes me wonder just who they think we are......

M

marbles

Hi there,

Just wondered if people still posted here?? Interested in support too!

T

thebee144

I'm still here lol......not a born n bred swansea girl but been here since around the millennium

W

Welshgirl4

Swansea

Hi there I have been diagnosed with anxiety and I'm looking for a group in Swansea area to join.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Hi there I have been diagnosed with anxiety and I'm looking for a group in Swansea area to join.
Hi Welshgirl,

:welcome: to the forums :)

The local area forums tend to be a bit quiet, but the rest of the site is busy.

Try a post in here to get started :)

(great result to top the group if you are a footy fan btw!)

T

Tired Out

Hi Welshgirl, welcome :hug1: Hope you can find some help here xx
The link below isn't a group as such, but its an NHS-endorsed, course on anxiety in Swansea. Maybe you could meet up with others at that?

Swansea Healthy City - Healthy City Directory

Depression & Anxiety
Swansea

Stress Control - Anxiety, Low Mood and Stress Management Course
Contact InformationServices Offered
Address
Telephone
07967 612246 (checked twice a day)
Disabled Access
Yes
Email
living.lifewell@wales.nhs.uk
Website
NHS Wales | Page not found
Summary
The Stress Control course is designed to help you:

Understand the causes behind stress, anxiety and worry.
Learn about vicious circles in these areas and how to break them.
Learn techniques to tackle stressful thoughts and stressful feelings.
Practice stress reducing techniques in your life.
Learn how to tackle other problems that often accompany stress, such as low mood, panic attacks and poor sleep.
Meet other people with similar experiences.

Courses are held at locations across Swansea, Neath Port Talbot & Bridgend. No referral is needed, you can just go along
The course lasts for 6 weeks, with each session lasting for no more than 2 hours. Each week covers a different topic. You are welcome to bring a member of your family or a friend for support

For additional information please contact the service directly or visit the website.

T

Tired Out

Another place to try in Swansea Welshgirl - not a group, more one-to-one help. Might be a start though? xx

Transcend Mental Health Peer Mentoring https://www.scvs.org.uk/transcend

"Transcend is a mental health peer mentoring project that is funded by ABMU. It provides volunteering opportunities for individuals with lived experience of mental health problems

Up to one in four people will have experienced mental health problems in the past year. Often, support from those from those who have an understanding of what they may be going through can make a real difference to people in their journey towards their mental health recovery.

Transcend volunteer mentors are people from all walks of life that have personal experience of mental health issues and have worked towards their own recovery. They are able to offer empathy, support and guidance to those in similar situations."

H

Headshot

Hi thanks for letting me join. I live in Swansea also and have under psychiatry "help" for 5 years, I'm 30. In this time I have never had an actual diagnosis, just been prescribed every anti psychotic medication there is which is doing more harm than good. I have struggled to communicate and get any answers from these doctors and my marriage is even at breaking point. I just don't know who to turn to- any suggestions greatly appreciated. X

J

Jezabel

I referred myself to mental-health services in Swansea a year ago, and am still waiting for treatment. I saw a useless mental-health nurse, and a condescending psychologist at the central clinic who is supposed to be treating me but hasn't contacted me in months. I know no-one in this town, and have been surviving on £55 a week. If I hadn't had some savings, I would be dead by now. I am deeply in debt with rent and council tax, and have had no heating or hot water for years. I was caused to have a breakdown two years ago, after being exploited by two mental-health workers who got me mixed up in an extra-marital affair they were having - this being on the very day I found out my mother was dying. One of these two then set me up, causing me to lose a lot of money, and then disappeared. It has been an ongoing nightmare. I am probably going to a Christmas meal with Gofal tomorrow. Hopefully, Gofal can help me, because Swansea's mental-health team have been negligent, verging on the deliberately malicious.
Hopefully, you folks will have a better Christmas than me (I will be spending it alone, as usual).

J

Jezabel

Here's a little poem-cum-rant about my recent experience of mental-health 'care' in Swansea:-

THERE WAS NO HELP AT ALL

They sat, pretending to be kind,
Fake worry upon their face.
"We'll do this" and "we'll do that", they said.
"We're your friends", and
"We'll do all we can to help".
But what they said and what they did
Were not the same at all,
And in fact they did nothing of any use,
But it made them feel good to mouth the words.

He was fobbed-off from one to another,
Each person feigning faux concern,
As they smiled in phony sympathy
At the unfortunate soul before them,
And urged him to take the drugs.

And then, as suddenly as he was ushered in,
He was discarded and shown the door,
Left to flounder like a dying fish
In a dried-up Summer pool.
And, once out of sight, he was out of mind,
Forgotten forever, as the next object
On the conveyor belt arrived
To be examined, poked, and prodded.
No-one cared to follow up
After he'd left their little world,
Although they often contended that they would.
And when he later asked for help,
They showed their true colours,
As they stabbed him in the back,
For it was beneath them to mix with the likes of him
After office hours.

And then, as hometime came, they left,
With their fat paycheque,
For a weekend of binge-vomiting.
They never thought again of the person they had 'helped',
Who was [moderated].

But, on Monday after work,
As they ate their takeaway grease,
A small article was noticed
On the paper that wrapped their food.
"Man Found Dead [moderated]", it said.
Pausing briefly between cholesterol mouthfuls,
They affected sadness at the death.
"So tragic", "One always slips through the net",
They said of the man they had seen just days before
And had promised to help -
To provide with social workers
And therapy and support.
But these were empty words,
For it was a massive con all round;
The whole charade just a job-creating scam
For the dim and apathetic
And the occasional psychopath.

It was all just smoke and mirrors,
For there was no help at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jezabel

Anyone in the Killay or Sketty areas of Western Swansea? Mental-health 'care' here is non-existent. Dreadful, negligent people. I referred myself for treatment a year ago, and am still waiting. About to be made homeless as a result of their neglect. Truly evil.

mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi @Jezabel How is the housing situation now? Have you been in touch with your AM or MP about the long wait you faced?

J

Jezabel

Hi, Still have no help. Getting the A.M. involved has probably been a bad idea, because I have been targetted even more by the corrupt and colluding people who work in local social services as I have been the one to bring the appalling quality of mental-health services in Swansea to light. These evil people now want to shut me up - and are hoping I will go away and kill myself. I am thousands in debt because of these people's failure to help me, and likely to soon become homeless. I have no friends or family, and have autism, and so have never worked. Tomorrow, I have a work capability assessment. If I go, they will take away my money; if I don't go, they will take away my money.

mischief

mischief

Admin
Congratulations @Jezabel on raising the issues. That’s a very important and courageous thing to do. Can you bring together other people who have been experiencing similar things? The old saying unity is strength applies when you make such challenges to the system.

Good luck for your work capability assessment. Lots of our members know from their personal experience how horrible they are. Is someone going with you to it?

The more support you can build around you the better. Hopefully by posting in this thread you might meet some other people with similar experiences.

T

Tired Out

Hi, Still have no help. Getting the A.M. involved has probably been a bad idea, because I have been targetted even more by the corrupt and colluding people who work in local social services as I have been the one to bring the appalling quality of mental-health services in Swansea to light. These evil people now want to shut me up - and are hoping I will go away and kill myself. I am thousands in debt because of these people's failure to help me, and likely to soon become homeless. I have no friends or family, and have autism, and so have never worked. Tomorrow, I have a work capability assessment. If I go, they will take away my money; if I don't go, they will take away my money.
So sorry you've been left alone to deal with everything Jezabel. It's not right. I've been lucky enough to meet a couple of "Good Samaritans" but sadly they've left. I get the impression things are getting worse as the good staff go.

As a patient you feel trapped.
1. You try to raise concerns, but staff don't listen.
2. You're identified as a complainer - they begin to discredit you [ almost overnight you go from being a "pleasant" patient to deal with, to incredibly harsh and derogatory comments in your medical records ]
3. You're given the cold shoulder - staff cancel appointments, and can't be reached on the phone
4.They bring up the possibility of you being discharged for complaining.
5. If you persevere with your concerns - you're discharged [notified by letter if you're lucky, but probably not].

Your terrible experience with local services is accurate ! Thank you for speaking up xx

J

Jezabel

Congratulations @Jezabel on raising the issues. That’s a very important and courageous thing to do. Can you bring together other people who have been experiencing similar things? The old saying unity is strength applies when you make such challenges to the system.

Good luck for your work capability assessment. Lots of our members know from their personal experience how horrible they are. Is someone going with you to it?

The more support you can build around you the better. Hopefully by posting in this thread you might meet some other people with similar experiences.
Hello, Someone came with me to the assessment; I wouldn't have gone on my own. Don't know how it went, but some money went into my bank account recently enabling me to pay off some rent debts, so I suppose something must have happened. I am in such a state of brain-fog that I can hardly think at all. I tried contacting a few local people on here, but no-one responded. I only contacted the A.M. because a retired social worker, whom I knew in the early '90s, was so concerned about my predicament that she arranged it. Unfortunately, it has backfired, and I have become even more persona non grata as a result. The dreadful people at the service in Swansea (who are probably following this thread) have been sending letters to my G.P. about me, which has turned my doctors' surgery against me, and they won't respond to my emails any more. I am trapped here without any help; my doors have been smashed in by the police after they were given false information about me by a mental-health charity, and neither will take responsibility for it;
Thanks for showing an interest.

J

Jezabel

So sorry you've been left alone to deal with everything Jezabel. It's not right. I've been lucky enough to meet a couple of "Good Samaritans" but sadly they've left. I get the impression things are getting worse as the good staff go.

As a patient you feel trapped.
1. You try to raise concerns, but staff don't listen.
2. You're identified as a complainer - they begin to discredit you [ almost overnight you go from being a "pleasant" patient to deal with, to incredibly harsh and derogatory comments in your medical records ]
3. You're given the cold shoulder - staff cancel appointments, and can't be reached on the phone
4.They bring up the possibility of you being discharged for complaining.
5. If you persevere with your concerns - you're discharged [notified by letter if you're lucky, but probably not].

Your terrible experience with local services is accurate ! Thank you for speaking up xx
You're right. Are you in Swansea?
Someone has been trying to help me, but 'they' are closing ranks against me. You wonder why people like this take jobs in mental health. I think the reason is for the same reason that paedophiles take jobs in childcare...

T

Tired Out

You're right. Are you in Swansea?
Someone has been trying to help me, but 'they' are closing ranks against me. You wonder why people like this take jobs in mental health. I think the reason is for the same reason that paedophiles take jobs in childcare...
I am. There must be more of us, surely? Maybe it's better to use the private message function here, if we can work out how to use it? [ Can you see the envelope symbol, top right beside your username? ] Please DON'T take your own life [ although you are in pain, believe me I know how bad it feels ]. I attempted it, and glad I didn't succeed. There is a way out of this. There are MH "service user" [ yuk I hate the word ] support groups to find help xx

mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi Jezabel

Have you heard of the Mental Health Lawyers Association? Perhaps you could find a lawyer through them to see what action you can take against both the police and the MH charity given your concerns about what they have done. There must be some redress available.

Could you contact the retired social worker and let her know what happened and discuss with her ways out of your situation. If she was so concerned then I am sure she will be now.

We need people about, like yourself, who are prepared to challenge the system and lead the way for improvements in services and supports for people with mental health difficulties. It's much easier to do this with other people. Are there any peer support programmes or service user advocacy organisations you could get involved with?

There is a large number of contacts on this list in Swansea and more generally in Wales and elsewhere in the UK that may be useful in terms of getting additional support. While it sounds one has been particularly frustrating for you others may be able to help you in positive ways. So often it is about connecting with the right person.

It really does sound like things are incredibly tough for you at the moment. Getting through that assessment and coming out with some money in your bank is an important success.

Please keep talking and where possible connect with other people. As always please don't hesitate to contact the Samaritans on 116123 if you need to talk to someone in person 24 hours a day.