• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Swan song for schizophrenia?

F

firemonkee57

" A bad wound will heal but a bad name will kill. " "—Scottish proverb"

Schizophrenia is a word that frightens people, is replete with stigma, is used pejoratively in daily speech and is etymologically absurd. There is now widespread international interest in renaming the syndrome (Essock and Rogers, 2011; George and Klijn, 2013; Levin, 2006; Tranulis et al., 2013). In this Editorial, we examine the justification for giving up the term and consider strategies for finding an alternative.

T

tumbleweed13502

" A bad wound will heal but a bad name will kill. " "—Scottish proverb"

Schizophrenia is a word that frightens people, is replete with stigma, is used pejoratively in daily speech and is etymologically absurd. There is now widespread international interest in renaming the syndrome (Essock and Rogers, 2011; George and Klijn, 2013; Levin, 2006; Tranulis et al., 2013). In this Editorial, we examine the justification for giving up the term and consider strategies for finding an alternative.

the word frightens people and has stigma because the illness is so friggin terrible, changing the name wont do crap, why not just try to find ways to treat the illness better instead?

F

firemonkee57

It's not the only thing but better meds, with less side effects that are more effective at tackling the cognitive and negative symptoms, would help.

J

Jambo

I always thought the word 'schizophrenia' sounded like something Alistair Crowley would have come up with. film__3042-the-wicker-man--detail.jpg

C

cloxxx

I just say I am getting better, then they might let me
I don't even tell anyone I want , if I want them to leave me alone I use this label