• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Surrendering to life-force

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Surrendering to life-force

They will remain shut away behind a hedge of thorns. The journey in search of soul is difficult and even dangerous because it requires that we relinquish the certainty of what we think we know and what we have been taught for generations to believe. It means surrendering the desire to be in control and opening ourselves to a quest, a path of discovery. Many myths and fairy tales emphasize the need for surrender and trust in the strange non-rational guidance offered by animals or shamans on the quest. As the hero follows their guidance, so the hedge opens, the way unfolds. Following the guidance and wisdom of the instinct is the royal road into the realm of soul.

~ Anne Baring

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I really like this. :)
Coincidentally i've been thinking lately about how fairytales are really good analogies for soul-stories and our quest to be 'whole' in some way.
Women Who Run With Wolves is a fantastic book that explores this theme, though obviously it is aimed at women rather than men.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I really like this. :)
Coincidentally i've been thinking lately about how fairytales are really good analogies for soul-stories and our quest to be 'whole' in some way.
Women Who Run With Wolves is a fantastic book that explores this theme, though obviously it is aimed at women rather than men.
Of course - all of Mythology is full of meaning.

Kerome

Kerome

It means surrendering the desire to be in control and opening ourselves to a quest, a path of discovery.

Following the guidance and wisdom of the instinct is the royal road into the realm of soul.
In a way this quite resonates with me, and in another I feel a set of cautions rising up. Following a quest or a path of discovery can be very healing, very enlightening because it opens new doors for you, but finding suitable fellows to interact with on the path is not so easy. Many people have lost the kind of wisdom is necessary for a good quest, they are comfortable within the constraints of materialist society, and developing an inner intuition to when people are sufficiently in tune with their inner world to give good guidance for a following step on the path is very important.

Similarly the following of ones instincts is a tricky business. Yes it is the royal road into the realm of the soul, but it is a faculty that needs to be matured and developed. Often the failures of your instinct teach you more than its successes. It reminds me of the Three Poisons of Buddhism, which are delusion, attachment and aversion, all three of which distort ones clear vision and intention. A lot can be learned from studying them and the lesser poisons that derive from them. But generally life experiences, real life experiences with all the mistakes, pain and suffering, can mature your instinct from something naive and reckless, into something more skilful.

The quote about control is also one of these life areas. Control is like a safe zone, it is a place where you can relax. But it is necessary to sometimes leave it behind, to free-wheel through life and surrender to intuition in a place which is not controlled. I think this is harder to do nowadays than in the past, there are so many physical places now that are governed by strict social etiquette that you almost have to learn the skill of breaking those rules in response to your intuition.

This quote really set me to thinking, perhaps I should start a quest.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LORD BURT Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 41