• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

surprising intervention

B

breaksandflows

After more than 5 years of coping with the strange experiences I've suffered alone, a recent 6 monthly visit to my psychiatrist was followed with an "intervention" by several enthusiastic CPN's. At first I was very hopeful because they promised me social integration by building my confidence and are forever ready with positive reassurances about my ability to think and to learn to improve my articulation.
For me the past 5 years was almost complete isolation only leaving my house to buy food, etc. I was content maybe even happy although I appreciate this is very unconventional.
Then this break that I am finding very stressful and paranoia inducing. What is concerning is the mixed messages of, "we wont take no for an answer" responses by CPN's to my hesitancy and their apparent ongoing analysis without overtly expressing as much. Also comments about risk assessment and MH monitoring are puzzling me because I have no history of violence nor have I had trouble with the police.
Has anyone had similarly pressured intervention or comparisons of CPN work will be brilliant.
Thanks

S

scrappy

what was the intervention? I don't understand...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Wish i had an intervention like that though i could live to regret it if i did, you don't know whats been put on your notes to trigger it, they move in mysterious ways

It should be worth a benefit increas which in the present climate is a big issue

D

dancer

I got ill in Oct 2008 and spent much of 2009 in complete isolation. I would only go out for cigs and some food to keep me going. I was convinced that diet coke was the cure for cancer and so smoked nearly twice as normal. Anyway that was in London and the CPNs would leave me to my own devices. I have since moved to the Northwest and the situation is completely different. Here, the CPNs are alot more demonstrative of their support. I have a support worker too who takes me out to do stuff like visit art galleries or the park. I think it depends on where you live.

B

breaksandflows

Thanks for your replies. One of the symptoms of my condition is catatonia. I become petrified when in social situations and freeze like a statue, paralyzed. Avoidance of social situations is enjoyable because I experience the opposite of catatonic stupor. Maybe I'm stubborn or scared, desensitisation doesn't seem realistic - I'm going to speak to a tutor about enrolling at college in september as recommended by CPN's - for me this will only add to my symptoms and be a set back. As you say ramboghettouk they move in mysterious ways.

A

Affective

I got ill in Oct 2008 and spent much of 2009 in complete isolation. I would only go out for cigs and some food to keep me going. I was convinced that diet coke was the cure for cancer and so smoked nearly twice as normal. Anyway that was in London and the CPNs would leave me to my own devices. I have since moved to the Northwest and the situation is completely different. Here, the CPNs are alot more demonstrative of their support. I have a support worker too who takes me out to do stuff like visit art galleries or the park. I think it depends on where you live.
Where I live, in Surrey, my Care Coordinator and other members of my team are very useful. They take me out places and even invite me to workshops where people share their experience of Psychosis and also there is a social group where people who suffer from Psychosis can come together and just have fun.

M

maudikie

Your CPN's "wwon't take no for an answer" may have been misinterpeted by you. He/she may consider that some social contact is adding more to your treatment regime. Why don't you try to go to a group session and meet some others with problems similar to your own. Ask the C.P.N. if this can be rranged. No doubt it will be an effort tostart with, but starting can bring its help and satisfaction. It should give you more confidence, and you will gradually improve your social life.
Take care. i am very sympathetic as it must be very trying for you.