• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Suresearch

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
This is undoubtedly the most difficult one to explain - especially as I don't fully understand it myself :).

Anyway I will quote from their own literature...

'Suresearch is a network of mental health service users and their allies. Fundamentally we undertake research projects and associated training which is based at the University of Birmingham. Suresearch members support and enocurage each other in undertaking research and education in collaboration with academic and professional allies.'

Not that that helps much!

Anyway, at the centre of their activities is their monthly meeting which are open to anyone with an interest in mental health issues. The monthly meetings are on a Wednesday or Thursday at 10.30 (to 12.30) at the Centre of Excellence in Interdisciplinary Mental Health (CEIMH) at Birmingham University.

I have only been to one meeting. It was a biggish meeting (by the standards of these things :)) held in the well-equpped CEIMH (which I had some difficulty finding as the University campus is a bit of a bewidering place). The meeting was certainly interesting, but my feeling is that you need to attend a few to get your head around it all. Being on the mailing list is very useful as you get minutes of the meetings and a number of other things which are unavailable elsewhere.

In general there appears to be less overlap between Suresearch and other bodies (PMHG, User Voice, PPIF) than is true in other cases but some people attend the lot.

Personally I find it quite difficult to make these meetings as mornings are often bad times (health wise) for me, but I will certainly try and announce the dates of the next meetings as and when here. And try and put a link to the Suresearch website.

It would be great if any more active members of the group could come and offer a more rational and informative account!

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Suresearch April Meeting

The next meeting of Suresearch will be on Wednesday 9th April at 10.30 (to 12.30) in CEIMH.

If anyone does want directions I can try and supply them :).

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Suresearch website

And here is the Suresearch website which again explains much better than I have done what the organisation is...

http://www.suresearch.org.uk/index.html

You can also find out the dates of all the 2008 meetings here.

I suppose it would have been easier for me to just post these links - the explanations are certainly clearer than mine - but I wanted to give people some of my impressions and personal experiences.

Nick.