• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

supporting professionals to support

I

idonothearvoices

At present I am exploring the idea of writing/a guide/ info/resource book for people who are not voice hearers or do not have any of the self experience as the majority of people who read or post comments on intervoice. this book/manual will be written with members of a group with self experience of voice hearing.

At present it is my experience that more and more professionals are looking at group work as a way to reduce the impact voices etc. tends to have on people who experience it.

We can debate the benefits of peer led groups vrs health professionals led groups all day but the simple fact is it is happening at present so rather than sit back and ignore the trend, it is my veiw we have an input into it and guide it where we know it is most benifical.

With that in mind I am asking for people to comment on what needs to be included in the book. remembering this is for people whio do not have the expierience but want to support people who do.
Tank you

R

rabina

I would suggest the professionals get an idea of what it is like to hear voices whether inside ones head or with their ears.

There is a link somewhere on intervoice for a simulation of what it's like to hear voices inside ones head.
I'll try and find that link for you.
It may be voices within or the dark voices within in one section here.
I believe this is the correct link:http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2008/2409013.htm
I don't know if this simulation is at all close, but one of your voice hearers could tell you.
As far as hearing voices with ones ears I believe everyone has a different experience, but you can take a recorder and repeat repetitive words or statements in a whisper or it could be very audible. Also, add non-decipherable words or statements to this recording as many voices are just this.
I would suggest this be done in both male and female voices also. Make a recording of atleast 10 minutes and have the professional listen to this several times.
They'll get an idea I believe of what it may be like if only for a few minutes.

Support, to believe, to really listen and to respect are important.
By all means try and do away with "Labeling" voice hearers as having a mental illness.
Professsionals will have to do alot of dis-embedding of what they believe to be causes for hearing voices.
Good Luck to You....

I

idonothearvoices

Thank you very much for your support rabina,
It is imperitive as many people as possible contribute their opinion and comments to this guide/hand book, it will not be about reducating the healthworkers in the area of voicehearing etc. But will be about educating them in a stand alone idea or philosophy about living with the life expierience of voice hearing as defined by people who are the experts by self expierience.

recognising their coping/enduring or co-existing occurs as a result of their own inner strength or innerself or as some people describe as, my positive energy or wise voice.

As we know medical knowledge is based on being able to prove something to be true or not true. My efforts in this project will be to present a body of useful knowledge which will be true to the individual expieriencing it. to that end I want to invite people to contribute their ideas, expieriences, and what has worked within groups or individualy also what has not worked.

this will not be a psychaitry bashing session, I believe we can hold our own knowledge, to be stand alone and true. which can be rejected or accepted as others see fit.
ps as you may notice I have difficulty with spelling and grammer, but hey so what .

parker

parker

Promote Out Of The Box Thinking

R

rabina

Thank you very much for your support rabina,
It is imperitive as many people as possible contribute their opinion and comments to this guide/hand book, it will not be about reducating the healthworkers in the area of voicehearing etc. But will be about educating them in a stand alone idea or philosophy about living with the life expierience of voice hearing as defined by people who are the experts by self expierience.

recognising their coping/enduring or co-existing occurs as a result of their own inner strength or innerself or as some people describe as, my positive energy or wise voice.

As we know medical knowledge is based on being able to prove something to be true or not true. My efforts in this project will be to present a body of useful knowledge which will be true to the individual expieriencing it. to that end I want to invite people to contribute their ideas, expieriences, and what has worked within groups or individualy also what has not worked.

this will not be a psychaitry bashing session, I believe we can hold our own knowledge, to be stand alone and true. which can be rejected or accepted as others see fit.
ps as you may notice I have difficulty with spelling and grammer, but hey so what .

IDNHV,
Hello....we all have different experiences, but one thing I have found is writing about it helped a great deal.
We can stop and really think about things when seeing it right before our eyes.
We can then also re-read what we have written carefully....
You're more than welcome to skim over paranormal suggestions; it is rather long, but you'll find some information there as far as my personal experience goes....
You can also do this with almost any thread here, or you can also check the tags on threads for coping methods/skills...
Here is the link:paranormal Suggestions Link: This will be updated/modified regularly.
http://tinyurl.com/yak52qw

Also, one thing I have learned from hearing a voice is this: we will always learn so even the health care professional will be learning.
If one wants to support a voice hearer, you must accept his or her experience as being true for it is.
So, there is just so much that cannot be scientifically proven as of yet, but that's not to say it doesn't exist; this is why medicine and all aspects involving life continually evolve and always will.....until the end of time.

R

rabina

IDNHV,
Part quote:
I want to invite people to contribute their ideas, expieriences, and what has worked within groups or individualy also what has not worked.

What does not work in groups are personal attacks or bullying.
One will only find themselves defending themselves on a continual basis and this serves no useful purpose for any voice hearer.

Good example of this is communicating with the sub-conscious mind.

Good Luck again in your quest.

I

idonothearvoices

it is my view what ever the person who is expieriencing the voice belives to be true is true. however if the expierience is impacting on the person in a way which is not helpful (as described by the person and not as described by the mental health worker), then coping resources shoud be explored be they one to one work or group work, not always relevent if the worker is a health professional or not.

R

rabina

IDNHV,

You are absolutely correct and I commend you for knowing how important supporting those who hear voices that are distressing or disturbing is as well as believing the voice hearers belief as to what the voice(s) are.
Hearing distressing and disturbing voices is like assault and battery on a daily basis and trauma is ever present for the new voice hearer especially.

Support , listening, understanding, patience and caring are vital and employing coping devices will help the voice hearer I assure you.

You probably have read somewhere how the families often distance themselves from the voice hearer so I would put emphasis on this aspect and try to get the families involved.

I wish you and your support group much success and may more like yourself come forward.

Allies are vital.