supported housing

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've been thinking a lot about suppportive housing, attitude seems to be if your living alone without care your fit for work and need to be persecuted to get you into work, and that theres no need for care

i think about the banging on my door last night, with police cuts such low level anti social behaviour willl increase, maybe a warden might be an idea, i've got my neighbour playing her tv full volume constantly a warden might put a stop to any behaviour like that or playing loud music

i feel i might count as needy get the dwp off my back more, i know they like questioning me about my low level of savings, in a home you can have twice as much savings, it wouldn't be an issue

then i'm not getting any younger or physically fitter

the disadvantage is stigma but god knows thats not new

my drinking at night might be an issue in such a place any symptom might get me referred to the gp and force marched there

F

firemonkee57

It's basically bullshit when people say living alone means you don't need care/support. Mental health services just prefer to do nothing for late middle aged,chronically mentally ill people like you and I. So long as we are not an immediate danger to ourselves or others we can be be functioning quite badly and they basically won't give a damn. The picture can change though if you have family pushing your case . Without that family back up you're on a hiding to nothing. You can be deemed to have "limited ability to live independently in the community" ,as I was , and you'll get sod all care and support. It would be interesting to know Rambo whether it's cheaper to have someone in supported housing or to help them stay living independently.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
chronically mentally ill blah blah blah fire monkey i wonder sometime i haven't been in hospital for 40yrs have never been sectioned a gp said that is unusual for a schitzoprenic never to have been sectioned, though where that gets me on the other hand

exyz

exyz

Surely there is no harm in putting your name in the hat for supported living Rambo?
You could always decide it was not for you once you had a look around.
Although some of these places get a bit cliquey. And avoid a room near the residents lounge I'm told.

N

nightmare57

I live in supported living in a large 4 bed mid terrace house in a wealthy town and it’s actually okay, have lived here for 7 years. I think it does help being in supported living for benefit purposes. When I went to my ESA assessment last year the first question he ask was where do I live and telling him I lived in supported living pretty much led the assessment in my favour straight away. He ask me how many hours support I get and I said it was a 24 hour property, I was in and out the interview in 15 minuets and awarded support group for 3 years. My friend I live with is on the mild asperger spectrum and only gets 6 hours support per week and he’s in the WRAG group of ESA, without a doubt he wouldn’t be intilited to benefits if he wasn’t living in supported living.

We have no restrictions here, basically come and go as we please, the rent is paid by housing benefit which is quite expensive but all the white goods in the communal areas are provided and replaced if broken, the utilities are way cheaper slip 4 ways, we have 200mg internet and all the sky channels. The staff and other housemates are nice. I’m never lonely anymore. We all eat together including staff, go for coffees together. I’m back to walking and using my 21 hours one to one per week with my staff to go walking, we have considerate neighbours, the town centre is 5 minuet walk away. Lincoln and Nottingham 40 minuets away in opposite directions, direct train to London is 1 hour 30 minuets which makes the town expensive to live but manageable for me because I only contribute towards the Utilities and food so I have quite a lot of disposable income left.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the housing officer is coming to pick up a key for the new lock on the security door will ask her if she turns up, i did mention moving into a mind house once at my mind group and they said theres a lot of violence, but theres violence in social housing, the physically disabled tend to get housed in adapted housing leaving the rest for mentally ill druggies alkys etc, wonder why in the grenfell enquiry they haven't mentioned the no of mentally ill whode be housed there

my neighbour said she's looked into it and theres no decent supported housing in london, most have lost their wardens due to cuts and if i did move into one they could evict me for drinking, get the impression she doesn't want this neighbour she's constantly shouting at to move

1st social housing balsall heath the red light district of birmingham one social worker called it the drug centre of the west midlands, moved out when the women i was dating was raped coming to visit me

2nd social housing barrow close in enfield a ghetto in a posh area, had cpn who suggested i ask the problem kids to clear off, developed into harrassment as far as the families were concerned that nutter was complaining about their innocent kids, moved out when some thug beat me up and said if i told anyone he had friends whode arrange for me to be found floating face down in a canal

next place harlesdon rd in brent, drug addicts alkys, guess i can't complain about the schitzoprenic women, she slept with me still have feelings, she came off her meds attacked me with a hammer, cleaned pools of blood up 5 times once mine

this place terraced housing house devided into 2 flats, women downstairs elderly and very ill, the paramedics said she shouldn't be treating you like that your not family, banging on security door at night, buy to let house next door

N

nightmare57

I think you would find it impossible finding a supported living placement, social services will just say if you’ve managed without support this long you can continue living without support. I know here in Nottinghamshire the eligibility criteria to meet the support freshhold has become much more harder. They are cutting hours everywhere. My company mainly deals with learning disabilities in nice houses with caring staff. Supported housing for mental illness they deal mostly with forensic, druggies and alcoholics who are med non-compliment in dingy squat like living conditions with limited care from staff meaning if your vulnerable your open to being abused.

M

Meadow Cat

Over 55s can live in warden controlled accomodation. How do you feel about living with old people? it is another option and much quieter.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
same problem there isn't much warden controlled accommodation that there is the warden has disapeared due to cuts, my ex suggested rosemary house, i know she goes there for a meal xmas day and was probably projecting, something us schitzos do a lot off

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
if i had a high level of support from social services etc i think it might be possible to get somewhere better but i don't, gp referred me to cmhc recently, they've just referred me back to her, i haven't a cpn even, only gp who hardly knows me, last gp retired, i'm trying to cultivate this new gp but having to make apppts 3 weeks in advance to get the 1st appt then waiting an hour in a crowded surgery with social anxiety, i know if i don't it could be worse, as it is what dwp reference will she give

N

nightmare57

I think for me because I scored 69 points on a IQ test I am entitled to support from the LD team and they have better recourse than the CMHT. I dread to think what care I would receive under mental health, I know when I have had dealings with them in the past they have been shit. I would never of received a care package with them. We hardly have any services users in all the supported living complex’s with mental health issues just LD and autism. I’m actually glad I’m under LD services.

F

firemonkee57

For a person with an IQ of 69 you come across as very intelligent. What IQ test did you take? I ask because although I'm deemed to be quite intelligent on tests of non-verbal ability online I score low . I did the timed 25 minute culture fair test with results sent by email via JCTI. If you do JCTI_rev2013 at the end you can enter an email address to get the link to the timed test.

General Culture Fair Intelligence Test

IQ = 40 (95% Confidence Interval = 38 - 54)
Raw score (number of correct answers out of 66) = 20

F

Funnyday

I think for me because I scored 69 points on a IQ test I am entitled to support from the LD team and they have better recourse than the CMHT. I dread to think what care I would receive under mental health, I know when I have had dealings with them in the past they have been shit. I would never of received a care package with them. We hardly have any services users in all the supported living complex’s with mental health issues just LD and autism. I’m actually glad I’m under LD services.
You don't come across as someone with an IQ of 69. Have you tried the Stanford Binet test?

N

nightmare57

The IQ test was a Wechsler lll which was done by a LD psychologist, I was referred to them from the mental health hospital I was sectioned too because I told them I went to a special school from year 7 to year 9 and has a statement of special needs to attend mainstream school from year 9 to 11. They wanted clarification which criteria I met. I scored 69 points, 1 point away from not meeting the criteria for LD services and being stuck in mental health. From my experiences of both mental health and learning disability services I feel very fortunate being in LD services.

On a side note I asked my psychiatrist if they was going to do another IQ test and he said it wasn’t in my interest for them to do another IQ test and I’m best supported in the learning disability team.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
asked at my unemployment group about sheltered, supported housing, got some ideas, this muslim women was on about how she knew the muslim head of the council and could help, thats what i've got against the council it's how well connnected you are, amd whether labour getting into central goverment would be different, incidentally schitzos due to the very nature of the illness aren't well connected

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
folowed advice of unemployment group and asked housing assoc, they're sending a form to fill in, my other option is to ask gp to refer me but seems the council sends out an occupational therapist to asssess how mental illness would fit and so far i'm physically fit, at that when the gp referred me to the cmhc a couple of weeks ago they've just referred me back to her, she's seeing me mon to discuss it

god knows my level of illness, all i know is it doesn't get me family help or social services, can i live independently god knows and for how long

exyz

exyz

Well that's a step forward Rambo. I guess it might be a long wait for the OT and all that but definitely stick with it. I hope it comes through for you. Get some advice about the form, there will be some sort of points system allocated to it. Try and find out how it works.
Definitely get a letter from the GP. I had to get a letter for something, the buggers charged me £30 but it's a good letter, which I've used for a few situations now. It tells everyone what a drooling, fainting, falling, agitated, feeble, epileptic nutter I am..... but harmless....which is sometimes useful:)
:flowers:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the housing assoc says there places have a manager but no one at night, is it worth it, particularly if i face a move without support

whether with the waiting list and the usual language of prioritising the most needy, whether i'd have a chance, particularly in my area, and if a lot are applying

been harmless doesn't help they only care about those they might have to explain things in a serious case review

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
got the transfer form from the housing assoc, don't see what boxes i can tick, what the points system is isn't explained and i'm not likely to get any support with the form, guess could try cab, but what would they know and getting an appt

even filling up the form my handwriting is indecipherable

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
on the news a nasty murder in supported housing, do i really want to move there, it's also going to make the community uncomfortable about people with that diagnosis, and yes i'd had it in my time