• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Support workers

R

riverofdragons

Does anyone know how I would go about getting a suport worker allocated to me?

In the past two years i have gone from being an extremely capable person, manager of a charity, home owner, engaged etc, to a complete mess. I can't answer the phone if it ringss, cant deal with budgets, compulsively spend, hgave debts, cant sort out my own paperwork, cant be left alone etc The simplist things are very difficult.

my lease expires in july and i wont have anywhere to live but i cant deal with sorting out my own place to live. medications are not helping and im so scared.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey River,

The local community mental health team should be able to help - but you usually would get a referal from your G.P. Perhaps the citizens advice could help you with things too?
KS

R

riverofdragons

I have an appointment with the doc in the morning....so perhaps i should ask him?

Do I just ask if there is any support i can access?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
My support worker has closed the case, you can get someone in a position of power eg a psychiatrist to argue for one, then you can ask for an assessment of need at your local social services, ask to see the duty social worker, it's supposed to work that way though sometimes it doesn't

R

riverofdragons

Im not sdeeing my psychiatrist until the 21st may...should i write to her asking her to help get me one?

I dont have a cpn or anything...really struggle

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I wrote to my shrink the appt is the 11th may, i did get the support of a mental health advocate, remember mixed messages are dangerous you have to argue illness and put it down with a trowel

Everyones entitled to an asssessment from social services

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Im not sdeeing my psychiatrist until the 21st may...should i write to her asking her to help get me one?

I dont have a cpn or anything...really struggle
Yes definitely write. But you ought to be able to go to the centre/clinic and ask to see the duty (psychiatric) nurse at any time. Or try your Mental Health Trust's PALS phone line - they should be able to advise. The problem with all this is that it can be a dreadful hassle just when you are least able to cope with hassle. I always give this advice but feel a fraud cos I know that when I am ill I would probably never follow any of it - I am just really, really lucky to have someone who does it for me.

Nick.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey River,

How did it go, did you ask your doctor about referral?

Merlin

Merlin

Many years ago I worked in the office of a " Care Agency" which was privately owned and used to do contract work for the boroughs. Support workers were hired without any real knowledge of mental health issues, and gaily sent on their way after an hour or two of training.............. I hope this has changed?

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Hi River your local community mental health centre will be able to help you with this.Your GP is probably a good instigator of things as well so speak to them both. I hope you get help soon.
Kp

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Services 2
H Services 3