• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Support Workers

anouska

anouska

If you have one. What do they actually do?

My Social Worker came to my home today and is organising a Support Worker to see me weekly. My mind was racing when she was here and she was was mostly talking about her life and daughter, I feel a bit lost because I don't know what Support Workers are supposed to do and how they can help.
What do they do, do you know?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
porkpie

porkpie

I have support workers visit me and they generally help with shopping and keeping me motivated, You're support worker was probably talking about herself to help you feel settled and so you get to know her a little.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I don't know if it's the same but I have a family support worker, she did the family star with me - to assess what's going well and what's not, and from that we set some short term goals for me to achieve in the next few weeks with her support.

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

They can be good or bad. They can be uneducated, young, lazy, a waste of time. They might be someone to talk to. They won't know much about mental health but might be an ear for you.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I've had support from Community Support Workers in the past. Mine came from the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT), and they work alongside Community Psychiatric Nurses (CPN's), and Social Workers. They receive training, but are not medically qualified.

In a sense they are like a care assistant. In my area, they used to offer ongoing, open-ended support, but nowadays their assistance is goal-focused and time-limited. So, for example, if you struggled to use buses, they would get a programme going to help you get used to using them.

My support workers did a variety of things with me, and were user-led. If I wanted to go out for a drive or a walk, they would take me, and they would take me to appointments as well, if my parents were unable to do this.

Good luck. I hope you get along with your worker, and that you find them friendly and helpful :)

Passionflower

Passionflower

My support worker takes me out for coffee usually but will do anything like shopping or getting me to appointments or going to groups with me.She is quite experienced in mental health and a bit older which I quite like.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am a support worker. We are there to help but also encourage. Like a crutch , we dont want to deskill you by doing tasks you're capable of. We can be a listening ear, someone to help you with getting places, making sure you keep apointments, help with shopping, making sure you eat well & look after yourself. We can also give medication if its something you struggle to remember :)

anouska

anouska

I am a support worker. We are there to help but also encourage. Like a crutch , we dont want to deskill you by doing tasks you're capable of. We can be a listening ear, someone to help you with getting places, making sure you keep apointments, help with shopping, making sure you eat well & look after yourself. We can also give medication if its something you struggle to remember :)
That's brilliant, thanks Maybe Shes A Wildflower. (love your username btw):).

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I hope you get a good support. Remember you can always request not to have certain people if you dont feel you trust them or dont get on. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ara13 Schizoaffective Forum 5