• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Support whilst in hospital (unsupportive/untrustworthy staff)

G

GaiaSophia

Hello

I am currently on a section 3 in a unit in Aylesbury. I was on the acute ward here for 3 months and have been on the rehab ward for 10 days (my only diagnosis is autism, I have no MH diagnosis)

The reasons for my post here are multiple:

1. I have had a lot of stuff go missing from the acute ward (some of it was property they took off me when I was admitted, the rest was stuff they decided I could have in my room, then decided I couldn’t). The total cost to replace it would be around £400. Neither ward is being at all proactive in helping me recover it. Staff have even been into my room here and removed items whilst I’ve been asleep (and they keep assuring me that I’m “safe here” and that l can “trust them” - well, no, I’m not and no I can’t (if you keep having to tell me that you’re trustworthy well, I’m sorry, but you’re not)). I now don’t feel able to leave my room in case it’s raided whilst I’m not in it (I have never been paranoid before, but they’re making me paranoid). I can lock my door but, obviously, that doesn’t help as they all have keys.

2. I doubt there is anyone who can help me with this but, for years, I w1s eating keto; not only did I lose 16 stone, but it sorted out my PCOS, my hypothyroidism, my IBS, as well as lessened many of my autistic symptoms - but then, a few years ago, eating high fat started to make me violently ill; I was throwing up, and feeling extremely lightheaded and dizzy. My body has fallen apart and all the symptoms it helped get rid of have returned. I know this is w long shot but I don’t know what to do now; keto works, it’s been proven to work and there are enlightened GPs, nutritionists and dieticians dotted around the country but, of course, none in Bucks (although this unit actually falls under Oxfordshire Foundation Trust). Although my autism makes accessing medical assistance almost impossible (hospitals do not seem to understand hypersensitivity - and I’m hypersensitive to noise, light and touch), I was told that I had gallstones, and my hypothesis is that my body is having problems digesting fat because the stones are blocking the bile ducts, which is leading to all the other symptoms - but what the fuck are you supposed to do when you’re dealing with people who view anything other than the standard low fat/high carb diet as abnormal…? I can’t get any help because I’m either told it’s psychosomatic, or my problems are of my own making because I chose to deviate from the eat well plate, and they’d all miraculously vanish if I would only stop being silly and start eating grains and starches again (y’know, the shite that made me morbidly obese in the first place…?). My physical health depends on me getting people here to understand - and I can’t go on feeling like this much longer. I’ve been referred to a dietician, but I know exactly what the outcome of that will be - me being a LFHC meal planner, which will be filed straight in the bin. I have extremely poor communication skills, so I’m not able to fight my corner (and they believe they’re right because they’re the ones who’ve got the qualifications to prove it - well, that doesn’t mean you’re right, it just means you’ve learnt stuff from other people who aren’t right, either). This is absolutely affecting my entire life - I’ve felt so bad for the past week that I’ve not even been able to have a shower, and I’m definitely suffering from malnutrition (I’ve got some of my supplements still, but they’ve taken others off me, and still others are in the stuff that’s gone missing). The food here is so nutritionally poor that I need them.
  3. Because of covid-19, I now have no external support because the advocates are no longer visiting the unit, so I don’t really know where to turn for help in getting these issues resolved - it needs to be an independent, external, agency as I do not trust the staff here.
  4. I was due to have my tribunal on 13/03/2020, but my solicitor was a no-show (she still hasn’t offered me any explanation as to why). I have now been incarcerated since 04/12/2019 (that’s 108 days, including today - 20/03/2020)
Any help, please folks…?
Apologies for the formatting, I’m on my iPad.

D

Disrose

I'm so sorry to hear about your circumstances. I think the best thing to do is too contact mind, or advocacy groups to speak for you. They normally have a more "powerful" voice. Only a suggestion, good look with everything!

A

aisha23

all of us are here for you!

xx

W

Worriedyin

Hello

I am currently on a section 3 in a unit in Aylesbury. I was on the acute ward here for 3 months and have been on the rehab ward for 10 days (my only diagnosis is autism, I have no MH diagnosis)

The reasons for my post here are multiple:

1. I have had a lot of stuff go missing from the acute ward (some of it was property they took off me when I was admitted, the rest was stuff they decided I could have in my room, then decided I couldn’t). The total cost to replace it would be around £400. Neither ward is being at all proactive in helping me recover it. Staff have even been into my room here and removed items whilst I’ve been asleep (and they keep assuring me that I’m “safe here” and that l can “trust them” - well, no, I’m not and no I can’t (if you keep having to tell me that you’re trustworthy well, I’m sorry, but you’re not)). I now don’t feel able to leave my room in case it’s raided whilst I’m not in it (I have never been paranoid before, but they’re making me paranoid). I can lock my door but, obviously, that doesn’t help as they all have keys.

2. I doubt there is anyone who can help me with this but, for years, I w1s eating keto; not only did I lose 16 stone, but it sorted out my PCOS, my hypothyroidism, my IBS, as well as lessened many of my autistic symptoms - but then, a few years ago, eating high fat started to make me violently ill; I was throwing up, and feeling extremely lightheaded and dizzy. My body has fallen apart and all the symptoms it helped get rid of have returned. I know this is w long shot but I don’t know what to do now; keto works, it’s been proven to work and there are enlightened GPs, nutritionists and dieticians dotted around the country but, of course, none in Bucks (although this unit actually falls under Oxfordshire Foundation Trust). Although my autism makes accessing medical assistance almost impossible (hospitals do not seem to understand hypersensitivity - and I’m hypersensitive to noise, light and touch), I was told that I had gallstones, and my hypothesis is that my body is having problems digesting fat because the stones are blocking the bile ducts, which is leading to all the other symptoms - but what the fuck are you supposed to do when you’re dealing with people who view anything other than the standard low fat/high carb diet as abnormal…? I can’t get any help because I’m either told it’s psychosomatic, or my problems are of my own making because I chose to deviate from the eat well plate, and they’d all miraculously vanish if I would only stop being silly and start eating grains and starches again (y’know, the shite that made me morbidly obese in the first place…?). My physical health depends on me getting people here to understand - and I can’t go on feeling like this much longer. I’ve been referred to a dietician, but I know exactly what the outcome of that will be - me being a LFHC meal planner, which will be filed straight in the bin. I have extremely poor communication skills, so I’m not able to fight my corner (and they believe they’re right because they’re the ones who’ve got the qualifications to prove it - well, that doesn’t mean you’re right, it just means you’ve learnt stuff from other people who aren’t right, either). This is absolutely affecting my entire life - I’ve felt so bad for the past week that I’ve not even been able to have a shower, and I’m definitely suffering from malnutrition (I’ve got some of my supplements still, but they’ve taken others off me, and still others are in the stuff that’s gone missing). The food here is so nutritionally poor that I need them.
  3. Because of covid-19, I now have no external support because the advocates are no longer visiting the unit, so I don’t really know where to turn for help in getting these issues resolved - it needs to be an independent, external, agency as I do not trust the staff here.
  4. I was due to have my tribunal on 13/03/2020, but my solicitor was a no-show (she still hasn’t offered me any explanation as to why). I have now been incarcerated since 04/12/2019 (that’s 108 days, including today - 20/03/2020)
Any help, please folks…?
Apologies for the formatting, I’m on my iPad.
From your post, I doubt you have poor communication skills.

You don't have to use a solicitor, I didn't instruct one for my MH tribunal (didn't realise that everyone is eligible for legal aid in that circumstance) and didn't get CTO'd, got out a couple of days later.

Why have you been in so long if you don't mind me asking?

Surely you'll get your possessions back at point of discharge?