support in plymouth

C

cindy

Well that clarifies that - and rightly said at the end - I heard it through the grapevine. I think it was probably people who are not able to understand or cope with the changes that will bring positive things, seeing things in the wrong perspective. So it is looking good for Plymouth.

hello,, I was diaginosed in august this year as having Bipolar and have just started on Lithium 400mg. i was previously on anti depressants but following a manic episode when penguins were talking to me.. these were stopped.

I am finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that I have a mental illness and will probably always need to be on medication. I have a lovely dr at Elmview but things are not going fast enough for me.. I just want to get well and get back to work.

I feel like I should be in hospital right now.. but the problem is it would appear that I am not ill enough.. but I am scared of getting too ill.

I would like to speak with others and get some support from other people like me. My family are good but they think that because I now take this one little tablet everything will be fixed now and life will get back to normal. But I fear it will not and I fear people around me cannot cope and I need to be somewhere where i could get the understanding space and time that I need. I just cannot snap out of it!

Help!! :confused:
I have been talking to MIND about their current services and below is their reply>

In response to extensive consultations and discussion with our members and
major stakeholders, Plymouth and District Mind has recently made some major
changes to the way in which we work. This year will be a year of transition
in which we modify some of our existing services and develop new services to
meet the changing needs of people we work with and fill some of the gaps in
service provision that we have identified. Most importantly, our services
will empower our service users to participate actively in all areas of our
work and thus contribute to their pathway to recovery and independence. We
aim to become a centre of excellence for mental health in the city. We are
planning extensive renovations to our two buildings to make them fit for
this purpose.

The main changes to service provision concern the Oasis Centre. This still
opens on four days a week (Monday 10.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m., Tuesday 10.00 a.m.
- 1.30 p.m., Wednesday 10.00 a.m. - 1.30 p.m. and Friday 10.00 a.m. - 4.00
p.m.). From early March 2010, Oasis became a service user led day centre.
Each session is run by trained Peer Support Volunteers. A cooked meal is
normally served each day that the centre is open. We hope to see the Oasis
Centre develop into a thriving, self determined service that provides a wide
range of activities.

We have just opened an Advice and Information Service in our Parkside
building. This will eventually offer early evening and Saturday morning
provision. The advice will be for people experiencing mental ill health,
their carers, families, friends and employers and will relate to anything to
do with mental health and well being. Our redesigned services will also mean
that we will continue to offer help and support on a one to one basis or
group work basis as appropriate.

We recognise that any period of change will cause uncertainty. Rather than
relying on the grapevine, which can often distort information and create
myths, we invite anyone who would like to know more about this new direction
of service to contact us on 01752 254004, visit our website
www.plymouthmind.org.uk or email us at [email protected]"

M

Maximoog

Benefits advice....?

Well that clarifies that - and rightly said at the end - I heard it through the grapevine. I think it was probably people who are not able to understand or cope with the changes that will bring positive things, seeing things in the wrong perspective. So it is looking good for Plymouth.
Hi,

Just to say that Mind at the Oasis centre tell me that they do not give 'benefits advice', however, they do have an amazing book that you can look at called 'The Big Book of Benefits' which was written by the Mind people at Neath. You can photocopy the bits you need st Oasis - Just ask them in the office upstairs.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Hi,

Just to say that Mind at the Oasis centre tell me that they do not give 'benefits advice', however, they do have an amazing book that you can look at called 'The Big Book of Benefits' which was written by the Mind people at Neath. You can photocopy the bits you need st Oasis - Just ask them in the office upstairs.
Just for the sake of clarity, I would point out that the Oasis centre is an outreach of Plymouth Methodist Central Hall and as such it is not a MIND centre. unless that is there is another site called the oasis centre.

M

Maximoog

same place?

Just for the sake of clarity, I would point out that the Oasis centre is an outreach of Plymouth Methodist Central Hall and as such it is not a MIND centre. unless that is there is another site called the oasis centre.
Um, the one I was referring to is the one in Greenbank, sounds like were talking about the same place?

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Um, the one I was referring to is the one in Greenbank, sounds like were talking about the same place?
Sorry, I had a temporary mind block thet the MIND centre ia also called Oasis. The one I was refering to is just off Union street andyears ago used to be a pub. I believe though that you can get benefits advice there. Reading Richards response it sounds that the Parkside unit will be for MH issues only.

For me, the big frustration is that Plymouth Mental Health services is supposed to be part of 'The Whole Life' projact and is supposed to look at all areas of a persons life includung income, housing, isolation etc. and yet I see no sign of it. I do wonder though if they still go to conferences in different parts of the world.The last CEO who voiced criticism of the poor quality of its service was sumarily sacked. :scared::evil:

C

cindy

Sorry, I had a temporary mind block thet the MIND centre ia also called Oasis. The one I was refering to is just off Union street andyears ago used to be a pub. I believe though that you can get benefits advice there. Reading Richards response it sounds that the Parkside unit will be for MH issues only.

For me, the big frustration is that Plymouth Mental Health services is supposed to be part of 'The Whole Life' projact and is supposed to look at all areas of a persons life includung income, housing, isolation etc. and yet I see no sign of it. I do wonder though if they still go to conferences in different parts of the world.The last CEO who voiced criticism of the poor quality of its service was sumarily sacked. :scared::evil:
There was a big conference regarding Mental Health in Plymouth a few weeks ago. It was held at the Holiday Inn and if I am not mistaken there were people there from all over the globe.
There is an Oasis at Mind and I think it was called Oasis before the one at Union Street.

M

maudikie

Hi!Bramdy. There is surely a Mental health Team in Plymouth. It would be a good thing to get mental Health Nurse to visit you ona faily reguar basis. I am glad you are seing mjo soon. She seems to know all about the services and has expperience of the illness. Don't hurry back to work. Get yourself stabilised on the medication first. Then if your emloyer is understanding, ask if you can return when you are fit on a part time basis for a while. It is not easy, but it is important that you come to terms with having a mental illness and ccept the limitations it puts on your life. Try to make your family understand, and also any friends. It is probable that you like to have some time to yourself, quietly. If you are unhappy with your doctor I suggest that you change docors. some are good at understanding and others not so good. Try to find a hobby that will take your thoughts away from your problem. You can always talk onthe forum. Best wishes, and take care.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Hi!Bramdy. There is surely a Mental health Team in Plymouth. It would be a good thing to get mental Health Nurse to visit you ona faily reguar basis. I am glad you are seing mjo soon. She seems to know all about the services and has expperience of the illness. Don't hurry back to work. Get yourself stabilised on the medication first. Then if your emloyer is understanding, ask if you can return when you are fit on a part time basis for a while. It is not easy, but it is important that you come to terms with having a mental illness and ccept the limitations it puts on your life. Try to make your family understand, and also any friends. It is probable that you like to have some time to yourself, quietly. If you are unhappy with your doctor I suggest that you change docors. some are good at understanding and others not so good. Try to find a hobby that will take your thoughts away from your problem. You can always talk onthe forum. Best wishes, and take care.
MH teams in Plymouth and which one you go to is dependant on where you live in Plymouth. To access the MH service providers you have to be fefered to them by your GP. I should also point out that if you are over 65 you will be refered to the' Elderly and Mentaly Ill service {EMI). To get a CPN at the moment in Plymouth, you must present a risk to yourself or to other people. I know it's apalling. you know it's apalling, but the excuse is that it is all down to money

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Hi Cherie and welcome to the Forum, I hope you find it helpful. What do you find Holy? and where do you dare people to go for you?

Ralph

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Ask your PCT(Patient Care Trust) and if there isn't one tell them it is anUNMET NEED.[/QUOTE

Just a small correction. PCT is Primary Care Trust and are responsible for funding all local health services Which they in turn recieve from the SHA (Strategic Health Authority)

M

maudikie

The Mental health Services are in a bit of a mess all over the country. this hasn not been helped by the "crunch" and a lot of paeople who are not usffering from severe mental illness are feeling depressed because of the recession. But that is not what I would term mentally ill - ratheer just fed up, and most can fight for themselves. I think it would be a good idea for you two to get together as you seem to have something in common. Neverbe ashamed of haing amental illness - you wouldn't be ashamed of a broken leg! No doub you would find it easier to get more help and sympathy. The Mental health staff are having a hard time themselves, so try not to "let off" either about or to them. I should think things will quieten down a bit when the schools go back. But I would recommend especially to tjo73 to look at www.schizophreniawatch .co.uk as it is following all the changes in the Mental health Services, and tells you about getting the Care Programme Approach and for carers to get an assessment for their needs, as they are under pressure and anxious about you. It would be a good thing o keep a diary as to how you are feeling from day to day, and of an particular difficulties you are having. And if you have a friend wh o will undestand talk about your problem - but not for too long! Your friends can be of great support, perhpas having your little boy for an hor or two, which would give you alittle time for yourself. Take care, and do join the groupthat tjo73 mentions.

B

brandy32

Hi Tersa, been a while just wondered how you are doing?? I did meet you at Mind the once but was not ready for it at that time, currently signed off work as I have fallen into a deep depression, thinking of popping along this week hope you are well

M

maudikie

Support in Plymouth

hi... not happy today had a call from the secretary to my head doctor saying that there is no need to attend my appointment tomorrow as a letter is on its way with a prescription of a different dose of my Lithium ... I was not too happy i explained that since I do not have a mental health nurse I need to see him as I have concerns about my moad and If my lithium is being increased then I want to discuss why and ask when I will be started on the other drugs that are in the pipeline.. I feel angry and upset as if my feelings do not matter. I advised I will be attending my appointment tomorrow as I wish to discuss matters with my doctor.

I am nervous about the visit from my employer later this week.. i am worried about the lenght of time it will take for me to get back me and be functioning as I should.. I feel really frustrated at the system of our mental health and feel the support I am getting from elmview is not very good. When I feel really depressed when i call gateway during the day they say I must speak with my cpn or dr.. having no cpn I need to speak with my dr and he is not always avaialble... how ill do I need to get before I get the support I need.!!!

sorry just need to sound off ....:mad:
Make a quick appointment with your doc and ask if you can have a C.P.N. weekly or fortnightly. Return to this fforum if you want to blast off!Take care.:)

J

John A

Founding Member
Pat at Mind Oasis (which most of you seem to know about already - 8 Woodside etc) is trying to start a Hearing Voices Support Group, every Tuesday at 13:30. The first meeting was today, Tuesday 7 December 2010. I was there.

Mind's phone number in Plymouth is 01752 264960. If you ring Pat, please feel free to mention me and this forum.

B

brandy32

Hi have tried to get a CPN but been told that although I would benefit from one the waiting list is too long and there are people more ill then me that need it more. Likewise was told I would benefit from cbt and/or pyscho sessions but again waiting list too long they wont even put me on the list. x

R

ryuuk

is there something other than mind? i've been trying to get help for severe anxiety and depression for nearly 3 years and find it difficult to leave the house. i have a doctor that refuses to do home visits unless i'm in a wheelchair and won't do anything except give me antidepressants that have increased my panic attacks dramatically in the past, when i visited mind i was dealt with complete misunderstanding and practically shouted at while having a panic attack and pulling my hair out from the stress and had them talking to my boyfriend who accompanied me for support saying 'it must be awful for you to have to deal with someone like her' which did nothing to help and i ended up taking an overdose in the next few days because of the stress (of the same antidepressants that i've been given no other choice by my doctor to start on again and give me the shakes/ constantly grinding my jaw). also options have said they can't deal with me because my condition is too severe. really don't know where to go for help as no one seems willing to give it. it feels like the only option to get taken seriously is to get myself sectioned although from people i have met who have been sectioned in the past it just sounds like they do very little other than keep you drugged up to the point of not being able to think. really seem to have no options or any help offered, all of them seem to pass me off onto the next one because they don't know what to do with me. if anyone can suggest any understanding support groups/or well really anything it would be very appreciated.

maxitab

maxitab

Hi and welcome to the forum. You seem to be having an extraordinarily difficult time. I can suggest a few options.....
Change your doctor or see a different one, am not sure if you are talking about a MH doc or your GP, if GP change or see someone different.
Anyone can self refer to social services, explaining the situation. Not much will happen before Christmas unless you say you are about to do something drastic.....
In every area there is a local PALS (Patient Liaison Service) This might be based at the local hospital. You can contact them and ask if they know of any patient advocacy service in the area, you can also ask CAB the same. If so, talk to the advocate about your situation.
Take someone with you to any consultation you do have, this person does not have to be active and say anything, but it is amazing what tends to change when there is a witness in the room.
Ask your GP for a referral to the local Community Mental Health Team for an assessment. If the doc starts to put you off, say you will be contacting the practice manager about the service the doc is giving, and make notes in front of them about what is being said. This is where it is useful to have someone else with you for moral support.
If your GP refuses to come out to you, ask for a different one.......
Contact NHS Direct: 0845 4647, and they will also give advice and may send a doctor out to you.

I hope this helps......