support in plymouth

M

maudikie

To Brandy2.

When you see you Doctor tell him that you want a C.P.N. If y ou do not get one write to the P.C.T. and tell then that this is an UNMET NEED. It is for you. and probably for others. They should cater for this in their budget.
I hope the increased medication wil "kick in" and make y ou feel a bit better. If you are not working are y ou getting the Beneftis you should have. Ask at the group you are going to and ask the about this. They should be able to advise you.
Take care. And don't be afraid of asking your doctor about your condition.
I think your family should also find out as much as they can about it, and they should support you.:hug:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
The problem with getting a CPN in plymouth is that to qualify for one either your life is at risk or someone elses lives are at risk. The quality of CPN's is also highly variable. It took me 35 years to get the right CPN who listened and acted when I said that Drugs were not what I needed and that 35years of different cocktails had done nothing to help or improve my depression. To all those who are stuck on chemicals, demand and fight to get psychological intervention. Dont be put off at the first hurdle, you will have to fight and fight again and again. Plymouth mental health services are still largely in the age of the neanderthals and dinosaurs:mad:

Last edited:
ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Hi,

I am caring for my fiancee, who suffers from depression, whilst trying to work and look after our house! Does anyone know if mind would offer me any support? Or ideas? It is so frustrating for her as I know she hates being depressed, she has lost all her self confidence and inner belief.

Many thanks
What you have described is the very essence of the problem with depression. A complete and utter lack of self belief and value. This is exacerbated by the continual prejudice of press, media et al. When she is in the land of the lost the best thing you can do is to sit and cuddle them, for hours if need be, let them feel and know that they are not alone, that they are loved. Let them talk and encourage them to talk, but for goodness sake listen and understand. That is something the Psychiatrists are very bad at, they listen but dont understand. :(

M

maudikie

maudikie.

I live some miles out of Plymouth, between Totnes and South Brent. I believe there is a cal in centre in totnes. But you could look up the Devon county Council Site, and I think there is an enquiry line on there.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
The call in centre in Plymouth is the Mind centre at Greembank and I hold it in very high esteem. I was acitive in it until a few years ago until personal problems got in the way.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
hello,, I was diaginosed in august this year as having Bipolar and have just started on Lithium 400mg. i was previously on anti depressants but following a manic episode when penguins were talking to me.. these were stopped.

I am finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that I have a mental illness and will probably always need to be on medication. I have a lovely dr at Elmview but things are not going fast enough for me.. I just want to get well and get back to work.

I feel like I should be in hospital right now.. but the problem is it would appear that I am not ill enough.. but I am scared of getting too ill.

I would like to speak with others and get some support from other people like me. My family are good but they think that because I now take this one little tablet everything will be fixed now and life will get back to normal. But I fear it will not and I fear people around me cannot cope and I need to be somewhere where i could get the understanding space and time that I need. I just cannot snap out of it!

Help!! :confused:[/QUOTE
Hi Brandy, how are you now? I used to suffer from Chronic depression which lasted for over 35 years. Sometimes it can take years to get over an MH illness and all we can do is to grit our teeth in the bad times and try to get through it.
Are you still on Lithium and are you getting your levels checked every 3 months? Lithium is a mood stabiliser, it is questionable if it has a beneficial affect on Schizophrenia.
If anyone ever tells you to snap out of it, then they are idiots. We cant, it is not possible.
Do you have a dream of achieving something or doing something. I think it is vital that we all have a dream. There is a song that has the words in it of "if you dont have a dream, how you going to make a dream come true" (South Pacific).

Keep in touch if you want to :grouphug:

Abbi

Abbi

Hi , I am new here...i was diagnosed with bipolar 2 years ago after many years of major depression treated with various anti depressants no one ever asked me what happened when the depression lifted so i assumed the high mood was a normal reaction to the depression lifting even though i got into all kinds of trouble as a result.
My treatment now is lithium 400mg quietapine 150mg, depakote 400mg amd mirtazapine 30mg.
I read with interest the post about the mind center in plymouth as this is where i live, i hadn't heard of this and will certainly look into it.It may seem strnge but i felt lifted to know there are other people close by who would understand as i feel very isolated at the moment. I do have a cpn and am regulary seen at elmview my pdoc was lovely but he has just left and i am waiting to meet the new one.
Anyway hope i have posted this correctly,look forward to getting to know you all a little better.
:grouphug:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Hi Abbi, and welcome to the group. I am sure that if you Go to MIND you will get a very warm welcome. Lithium is a long term mood stabiliser and it is essential that you have blood tests to check its levels every 3 months. Qutiapine is nominally a treatment for personality Disorder, but it is also used n small doses to increase the effectiveness of other anti depressants as it was with me.
My daughter is Bi Polar as well as many things.
There has been speculation in recent times that Bi Polar and depression are the same illness but with different degrees of severity, I tend to agree with that.

For me, one of the problems with depression treatment is it's abso;ute reliance by Psychiatrists on chemicals and drugs, I was on one cocktail or another for over 35 years to no effect. It was not until I had a change of CPN that I was allowed to get psychological treatment, that was a major step forward and allowed me to adress what I call lifes experences and my view of them and also the defence mechanisms I had adopted that were proven faulty.

I did take another step at the same time, but then I am a commited Christian. I was discharged from the MH services a couple of years ago

If at any time you want to talk you can always contact me by the private message service here. :grouphug:

Last edited:
Abbi

Abbi

Hi Ralp ,Thank you for the reply i understand what you mean about the depression and bipolar being linked the boundarys are surely blurred .
I have been having my bloods done every month as i have some other health problems so caution has been advised, i was given the quietapine to help with the mania , the lithium and depakote were not controlling that aspect of the disorder,a bonus has been that it also helps me sleep.
35years of meds must have been a nigtmare but i am pleased you have found a way forward which suits your needs.It must have been difficult to see your daughter going through a similar illness, i hope she is ok and getting the support she needs.
Thank you once again.
Please feel free to cantact me any time.

M

maudikie

maudikie

There is probably an A & E at torbay hospital. I expect that gets very busy in the holiday season. I will try tp fiind out mor for you.

M

maudikie

maudikie.

The only other oone I could find was Barnstaple - 50 miles from my Postal address.

M

maudikie

maudikie.

Sorry - too far away and no bus route, but write any time. I am a carer but ancient!

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Hi , I am new here...i was diagnosed with bipolar 2 years ago after many years of major depression treated with various anti depressants no one ever asked me what happened when the depression lifted so i assumed the high mood was a normal reaction to the depression lifting even though i got into all kinds of trouble as a result.
My treatment now is lithium 400mg quietapine 150mg, depakote 400mg amd mirtazapine 30mg.
I read with interest the post about the mind center in plymouth as this is where i live, i hadn't heard of this and will certainly look into it.It may seem strnge but i felt lifted to know there are other people close by who would understand as i feel very isolated at the moment. I do have a cpn and am regulary seen at elmview my pdoc was lovely but he has just left and i am waiting to meet the new one.
Anyway hope i have posted this correctly,look forward to getting to know you all a little better.
Hi Abbi.
How is it going for you now?

Abbi

Abbi

Hi Ralph,

thank you for asking it is very kind of you ....i have been having a drop in mood things just seem to require too much effort just now,my son attends a day centre as he is profondly disabled and we heard there may be a possibilty it will be closing the SS are trying to force us into direct payment so we could pay people to come in and take him on trips, we aren't at all happy about that as he has no speech and is completly dependant ...feedingis required and he is doubley incontient i really think a day centre offers the social interactions with the security and familiarity of the same staff everyday, but then who ever listens to carers ? hopefully things will level out again soon.
One good thing is that my lithium is finaly theraputic :clap:
Hope you are keeping well too.
big hug to you Abbi.:grouphug:

Last edited:
M

maudikie

maudikie

Hi! Lostwithout. I believe there is a room in Totnes where mentally ill people can be seen. Somewhere near the bridge, but I don't know the address. I will try to find it. The next neares A & e is, I think Bideford - about 50 miles.
I am living in Avonwick and you can contact me by E-mail, but i can't arrange or attend meetings as i have arthritis, and no transport of my own.
Another place you could enquire is at Totnes Caring tel;-01803 865 684.
They will probably have more info. than myself.

S

sasone2one

Founding Member
Schizophrenia

Just been looking through some of the post and noticed many have dx of Bi Polar. Are there any members here with a diagnosis of schizophrenia? Or family members?

C

cindy

The minor injuries place is at Cumberland House, at Mountwise. It use to be open at the weekend but i dont think it is now. So i would check out the opening times before going there.

Hi lostwithout
I find a good place to go for support and to be with people is Mind Oasis, which is at 8 woodside, Greenbank near the freedom fields park. telphone number 01752 254004. They are openfor general drop in Monday, Tueday afternoon, wednesday and Friday. They do help and advice on a range of topics from benefits to housing, one to one sessions and have a bipolar support group, and you can get a cheap lunch and meet new people. they do other stuff too such as art classes and music. As for the only other minor injuries unit I know of is out at Devonport near Plymouth Albions ground, it;s only a small unit so might be easier for you. Hope this helps

Teresa XXX

Last edited:
C

cindy

The minor injuries place is at Cumberland House, at Mountwise. It use to be open at the weekend but i dont think it is now. So i would check out the opening times before going there.
Also I forgot to mention that Morice Baptist Church at Ham Drive has a Centre there for Service Users. There are very good facilities there. It is called Crossroads. The telephone number of the church is -
01752 367 880
I dont know if this is the same number as Crossroads but I am sure they will be able to advise you.
Also regarding MIND. I have been informed recently that things at MIND are not as good as they use to be. I dont know for sure because I havent been there for a while. However, it is always worth calling in and seeing for yourself. I knew a few people who have stopped going there because of things being run down. Apparently, and I am not 100% certain on this, they dont do the midday meal now, or so I am told.
Also Citizen's Advice can inform you of facilities and also Disability Information Advice Centre at Earnest English House can have information. Health Centre's hold information too. Also dont forget if you are in distress there is Gateway, which is a helpline for people with mental health issues. Their number is 01752-669709. And also of course there is the Samaritans who are there 24/7. Their number is - 01752-221666. Hope that helps. Oh and last by not least, dont forget the forum, you can always come on here and chat.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Also I forgot to mention that Morice Baptist Church at Ham Drive has a Centre there for Service Users. There are very good facilities there. It is called Crossroads. The telephone number of the church is -
01752 367 880
I dont know if this is the same number as Crossroads but I am sure they will be able to advise you.
Also regarding MIND. I have been informed recently that things at MIND are not as good as they use to be. I dont know for sure because I havent been there for a while. However, it is always worth calling in and seeing for yourself. I knew a few people who have stopped going there because of things being run down. Apparently, and I am not 100% certain on this, they dont do the midday meal now, or so I am told.
Also Citizen's Advice can inform you of facilities and also Disability Information Advice Centre at Earnest English House can have information. Health Centre's hold information too. Also dont forget if you are in distress there is Gateway, which is a helpline for people with mental health issues. Their number is 01752-669709. And also of course there is the Samaritans who are there 24/7. Their number is - 01752-221666. Hope that helps. Oh and last by not least, dont forget the forum, you can always come on here and chat.
I have been talking to MIND about their current services and below is their reply>

In response to extensive consultations and discussion with our members and
major stakeholders, Plymouth and District Mind has recently made some major
changes to the way in which we work. This year will be a year of transition
in which we modify some of our existing services and develop new services to
meet the changing needs of people we work with and fill some of the gaps in
service provision that we have identified. Most importantly, our services
will empower our service users to participate actively in all areas of our
work and thus contribute to their pathway to recovery and independence. We
aim to become a centre of excellence for mental health in the city. We are
planning extensive renovations to our two buildings to make them fit for
this purpose.

The main changes to service provision concern the Oasis Centre. This still
opens on four days a week (Monday 10.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m., Tuesday 10.00 a.m.
- 1.30 p.m., Wednesday 10.00 a.m. - 1.30 p.m. and Friday 10.00 a.m. - 4.00
p.m.). From early March 2010, Oasis became a service user led day centre.
Each session is run by trained Peer Support Volunteers. A cooked meal is
normally served each day that the centre is open. We hope to see the Oasis
Centre develop into a thriving, self determined service that provides a wide
range of activities.

We have just opened an Advice and Information Service in our Parkside
building. This will eventually offer early evening and Saturday morning
provision. The advice will be for people experiencing mental ill health,
their carers, families, friends and employers and will relate to anything to
do with mental health and well being. Our redesigned services will also mean
that we will continue to offer help and support on a one to one basis or
group work basis as appropriate.

We recognise that any period of change will cause uncertainty. Rather than