• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

support from anti psychiatry

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't feel i can go along with the mother bashing and dr bashing that is required to join the anti psychiatry lot, but neither can i go along with the psychiatric lot and they're recovery model,

JUst seen a friend who reallly blames her parents and the drs, my fathers dead and my mother senile, maybe i'm not a fan of drs other than damned if they do intervene damned if they don't intervene

Guess it's more of me not belonging anywhere, just had another severely ill mentally ill women friend pushing the nhs get better and get a job crap

SarahD

SarahD

You know what, I agree with you. At least at the moment. I wish pro- and anti-'psychiatry lots would both go to hell.

One side have screwed me over and people from both sides refuse to help. Fuck them all.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
what a ridiculous premise

y'know, any time some random person sits down with you and listens, makes you laugh, takes the effort to see you're okay, runs an errand and so on...

that's antipsychiatry in action

if you remember that pro-psychiatry is that all your problems are in your brain and that is all you need, a brain-focused solution, largely via pills

every act of human kindness is anti-psychiatry, by its own definition

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
what a ridiculous premise

y'know, any time some random person sits down with you and listens, makes you laugh, takes the effort to see you're okay, runs an errand and so on...

that's antipsychiatry in action

if you remember that pro-psychiatry is that all your problems are in your brain and that is all you need, a brain-focused solution, largely via pills

every act of human kindness is anti-psychiatry, by its own definition
i don't define pro psychiatry as all my problems are in my brain or anti psychiatry as the milk of human kindness, it's a funny kind of kindness encouraging someone adddicted to these drugs to come off them with full knowledge of the probable consequences

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
it's a funny kind of kindness encouraging someone adddicted to these drugs to come off them with full knowledge of the probable consequences
in an atmosphere of taboos and misconceptions and collective denial surrounding the thorny issue of physical dependency on psychiatric drugs...

I dunno...

people accepted the problems of barbiturates...

and alcohol...

and heroin...

and cocaine...

and more recently benzodiazepines...

with benzos and heroin there is a risk of seizures and death... is the Ashton Manual a "funny kind of kindness"?

I think offering acknowledgement to someone that they have developed a dependency on a drug of any kind, and giving them support if they choose to attempt to come off it, is just basically humane

pretending that the adverse reactions of withdraw are in fact symptoms of an illness indicating the drug must not be stopped is inhumane, even a little bit cruel

the USA are ahead in this

there was a recent mainstream study into supporting withdrawal within mainstream services. that occured in nottingham. i don't know the outcome of that study.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
a phased reduction and when people end up psychotic they weren't following instructions, of course they weren't following instructions towards the end they were psychotic for gods sake

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
yes exactly. so if you don't offer support to a person at that critical stage, then they are up the creek

isnt that why many services to help the drug dependent are residential in the early stages?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it is immoral to encourage people to come off meds without the proper support when i say that you go on about the morality of putting people on them, you may have a point but thats a totally different issue, i am on these drugs have been for decades and there is evidence that some people on drugs like heroin can not come off them regardless of what's offered in support

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
so yes accept that some consider themselves "too far gone" but do not close the doors to them if they wish to try at any point

others who choose to attempt withdrawal should be supported in that choice

is that so bad?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
what support in that choice been given a book on the anti psychiatry liturgy

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
possibly yes, as an act of consciousness-raising, to better morale and offer hope

there are lots of examples of people successfully withdrawing, even after many decades of use

for me it just boils down to choice. and being supported in that choice. withdrawing from any dependency, even a human-to-human psychological dependency, can be very fraught

look at all the broken-hearts that kill themselves? should society proscribe against the breaking of hearts?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
tell that to the homeless or the no i've seen end up in coffins after coming off drugs and oh yes the mental health system the anti psychiatry lot hate so much is the same one that picks up the pieces if it doesn't work out

Remember rosemary in the first group i joined this guy started sleeping with her and encouraged her, remember him saying towards the end she looks like an old witch and i thought who's fault is that

She got on the bus and was asking me if i loved her, these men at the back were laughing they're heads off

Guess she ended up a sucess story even had a job as a prostitute

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
your anecdote there is about some guy encouraging a lover to come off drugs, and she ends up a mess and a prostitute. that's a sad story.

I'm not advocating that rambo. what I'm advocating is acknowledgemnt, choice and support.

I've personally never encouraged anyone off drugs. many of my friends take them. these days many people
are on something. especially anti-depressants.

and people that take drugs aren't stupid. people that choose to take them. it's their choice.

people that wish to try coming off them aren't stupid either. what is stupid is not acknowledging that regardless of anything this is what many people are going to do anyway and services should be flexible and supportive of that; although I agree that people offering that support are best off not being in a sexual relationship with the drug dependent person, as such

D

Deliah

Maybe when anti psychiatry and psychiatry come together instead of battling with each on separate platforms things can take an interesting turn. D x