• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Supermarket Strop

T

TheRedStar

Just got home after going berserk in Tesco... I swear to God that a particular security guard in this specific store has long had a hard-on that I'm a thief; he either follows me around in that way which is supposed to be subtle yet obvious, or if he's feeling lazy he just eyeballs me. Funnily enough, before what happened I was considering grinning at him on my way out whilst waving my receipt.

Anyway, as I'm on my way out the security buzzer goes off, and guess what - he's on me in a fu*king heartbeat. Another guy was leaving the store at the same time, but he gets let go straightaway! So I open my bag, pull stuff out of it, and hand it to the store worker who's also rocked up by this point so they can see what, if anything, has set their alarm off. And they just look at me, dumbfounded, as though I've just pulled the fu*king Holy Grail out of my backpack or something.

This is the point where I get angry... I shout at the store worker that I can't prove whether or not it was me who set the security off if they don't try to put my bag and it's contents past the alarm system again, and then when I try to do that myself the security guard grabs my arm. Not a helpful move... I yelled at him to get his hands off of me, and then accused him several times of having been looking forward to getting the opportunity to pull me aside as he's always eyeballing me when I'm in the shop (it genuinely makes me feel uncomfortable).

He asked what was in my pockets and what I'd bought, so I gave him my three chocolate bars and their receipt... oddly, he then just completely gave up and changed his attitude, trying to apologise and explain to me. I wasn't interested. He attempted a handshake, but I gave no response either verbally or in a tactile manner, so he let me go and I walked straight out of the door saying I'm never going in that shop again.

Guess what? I didn't set off the scanner.

I'm not entirely sure why I lost my sh*t and started shouting... I think the way it was all done at the store entrance where loads of people could see didn't help, but I'm pretty sure the main factor was feeling like this security guard had been waiting for such an opportunity for months. There's definitely something about feeling as though I'm being judged purely on how I look (because that's the only way in which this gentleman had ever previously been able to evaluate me) which presses all my wrong buttons... too many flashbacks to how I'm not good enough to be a boyfriend because of my outer aspect, and the times people have expressed surprise at how intelligent I (apparently) am given that I 'don't look' as though I could be clever (what the fu*k does that even mean?!).

So now I guess ugly people look like thieves as well. Oh no, silly me... looks don't matter, do they? At all! In any context! That's just my condition giving me 'false perspectives', isn't it? Like fu*k it is... stunning how professionals think they can brainwash me with happy-clappy bullsh*t that any fu*ktard knows is complete nonsense.

I wish I could convince 'Them' to give me false teeth and a facelift...

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
if you had false teeth you would have to take them out at night and put them in water, you a bit young for that maybe.

These security guards sometimes they are on a power trip, their job is fairly crap standing there all day, a bit like those sentry guards at trooping the colour who aren't allowed to smile, so they like to look a bit menacing etc

He shouldn't have put his arm on you, that is assault you could report him for that. I would have reacted VERY badly to that as well, I do not like strange people touching me. I suppose if you could be arsed you could do a complaint.

The security went off on my local supermarket once, so I started taking out all my stuff, it had all my dirty gym clothes and revolting greying underwear, the guy got really embarassed and was saying no it's ok you can stop now, but I wanted to prove I had nothing that set the alarm off so carried on. Since i wear really crap underwear to the gym it was, well crap. And pungent.

I dunno I am probably not saying anything helpful, I would probably have shouted as well as I am self conscious about the way I look for different reasons maybe and have had this sort of crap with shop staff before as I dress like a bag lady and am not good looking.

Though nowadays my hair going grey they ignore me I think they must think I am too old to nick stuff.

If it was me I would probably have got so angry I'd have let them keep my shopping as well, even though that would be totally illogical as I'd paid of it. And then stomped off.

If you go in there in a suit they leave you alone. My partner went into a computer store once dressed in jeans he was going to buy an expensive computer, they served a bloke in a suit first who was buying a £1.50 component. My partner got annoyed and told them he'd been going to spend thousands on a PC (this was when he was working before the DM brigade pop out) but due to their prejudice he was taking his custom elsewhere.

They do judge on appearance I think, when I went to the Birkenstock shop once I noticed 3 sales assistants fawning over some young thin blonde female, while they ignored me. Though even if I had tarted myself up I wouldn't measure up to her.

Sorry I am not being very empathic I mean to be but I don't know how. I am just going on about myself.

I am sorry the security guard behaved in this way, and sorry it has triggered all those feelings.

I hope someone more helpful will be along soon :hug:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
they follow me round stores when i try to pay for things in stores they can't be bothered serving me as they assume i haven't the money so now i prefer shopping on line

It used to be a joke in one block of flats about this security guy in tescos now whenever i;m in sainsburys theres always the same women shopping next to me

If black people are treated like that it's callled racism

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have had it both ends (oo-er) I worked in a supermarket got treated like s*** by customers, but I have been treated crap in shops as a customer too. I buy my clothes online as I feel so ashamed going in clothes shops.

Waitrose is the one where I get the most evils. Now before anyone tells me I shouldn't be shopping there as I am unemployed it is the only place round here that does Cranks Wholemeal Bread that is proper bread, like. I get evils in Waitrose from customers and also there is one supervisor who gives me evils whenever I go on there, I dunno what her beef is.

I think it is because I look like there is something wrong with me mentally, as well as being physically not very good looking. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is, it might be my eyebrows, or my wide stare (which I can't help), or maybe it is the overall composition of my face. I have that serial killer look about me, even though I am not.

Also I do not do the conventional female things like make-up and handbags and all that. I am mostly found slobbing around in trainers and gym kit, and none of that lycra neither. I imagine if I am on the way back from the gym I probably smell too, as I shower at home. I am not getting my bits out in any communal shower.

There was this bloke in my gym he was asking this woman about the ladies showers, how many there are, what it is like in there, whether you can see each other etc. It sounded a bit pervy to me.

Anyway that has nothing to do with supermarkets. The good thing is though, dogs tend to like me. I guess they are not as shallow as humanity.

bulbie

bulbie

Fuck worrying about who you might upset my little red dude. If you've got beef, air that goddamn beef! I would have torn tesco a new arsehole too.

L

lovagemuffin

I hate supermarkets I cant handle it all I get it delivered from Tesco for 1 pound.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I agree with the general consensus here - fuck it, you were justified so don't worry about it too much. :hug:

I think it's actually pretty good that you stuck up for yourself, as I probably would have just cried in that situation.
The security guard sounds like a complete arse. He shouldn't have put his arm on you in the first place and to attempt a handshake afterwards? Was he fucking joking? :confused:

I'm sorry that this happened, Red. Things like this can really make you feel rubbish, so I hope that's not the case and you're ok now. x

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I hate supermarkets I cant handle it all I get it delivered from Tesco for 1 pound.
They are crap as well, my partner gets his delivered from them, they are always messing him about and not turning up then saying the next delivery is in 3 days time or some nonsense. He says they probably have "sucker" on his file.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The security guard sounds like a complete arse. He shouldn't have put his arm on you in the first place and to attempt a handshake afterwards? Was he fucking joking? :confused:
I had a security guard once, and this was in Tesco too, say that I had to move as I was "frightening the customers" and they had complained. I was sitting upstairs in the lobby eating a sarnie I had just bought in store as it was raining outside.

I dunno how me eating a sarnie is intimidating anyone. I think these security guards just pick on people if they are having a bad day or something. The power goes to their heads. They must think they are in the Stanford prison experiment or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheRedStar

Thanks for the replies, folks :hug:

Having had 48hrs to reflect, I'm not proud of how I reacted but at the same time I'm glad I didn't just stand there and take it from that twat. I wouldn't have blown up had it been any other security guard in any other store, but I am still completely adamant that prick has always had a downer on me (for fu*k-knows what reason...) and had been itching for an opportunity to give me sh*t, and that pi*sed me right off. I've probably proven him correct about me in some negative ways, but not in his apparent assumption that I'm a thief... and that's the main thing.

As it goes I've never shoplifted... not even as a dare or for a thrill when I was a kid.

I'm so sorry about other people's experiences of being judged on their presentation by shop staff... it's a bit much given that retail is hardly prestigious work - even managers get paid less than their equivalents in other sectors - so in my opinion store bods aren't in any position to be looking down their noses at anyone. You would also hope they'd be a little less judgmental given how many people condescend to them, especially in my part of the country where you're basically deemed worthless if you don't have some sort of white collar role (and it must be a 'career', not a mere job!)

Nikita, I'm also sorry about how you were treated by other forum members when you articulated your own experiences with retail workers. As it goes I myself work in a supermarket, as I've also worked in a number of bookstores, and truth be told while it is indeed correct that a lot of customers are complete bell-ends, it is also equally the case that a lot of shop workers help neither themselves nor their colleagues by being complete bell-ends themselves. After all, due to the relatively low pay and lack of status in the retail sector, shops tend to not have the luxury of being able to pick and choose from the creme de la creme of the working population.

I apologise if that offends anyone, but - like it or not - that's just how it is. I'm not saying that everyone who works in shops is useless, because that's not the case at all - in actual fact, in my experience there are people who'd be a credit to any business - but, generally speaking, and as we all know, the most capable people tend to gravitate towards more stimulating and/or better paid employment.

I don't particularly avoid certain shops, but I do stay away from one of my local town centres - Twickenham - due to very much feeling like I don't belong there. It's all middle class people with perfect teeth, so I'm rumbled as underclass literally as soon as I open my mouth, thereby revealing my crooked gnashers.

As an aside, I get what you were saying TC but I've been thinking about this for years... I honestly would like to have my remaining teeth removed and replaced by a false set. I can't overstate how much my self-esteem is affected by this (the funny thing is that dentists seem more understanding about it than doctors), but it goes beyond that... I struggle to eat certain foods due to the (mis)alignment of my teeth, I can't have braces to correct this because I no longer have enough large back teeth to act as 'anchors', plus I have a phobia of dentists (the reason why my mouth is such a mess in the first place...) which would be completely negated if I no longer possessed any real teeth.

Anyway... I always shop in my other local town centre - Hounslow - now, as I just feel more... comfortable... there. Although that's where the Tesco I had my incident in is located...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Thanks for the replies, folks :hug:

Having had 48hrs to reflect, I'm not proud of how I reacted but at the same time I'm glad I didn't just stand there and take it from that twat. I wouldn't have blown up had it been any other security guard in any other store, but I am still completely adamant that prick has always had a downer on me (for fu*k-knows what reason...) and had been itching for an opportunity to give me sh*t, and that pi*sed me right off. I've probably proven him correct about me in some negative ways, but not in his apparent assumption that I'm a thief... and that's the main thing.

As it goes I've never shoplifted... not even as a dare or for a thrill when I was a kid.

I'm so sorry about other people's experiences of being judged on their presentation by shop staff... it's a bit much given that retail is hardly prestigious work - even managers get paid less than their equivalents in other sectors - so in my opinion store bods aren't in any position to be looking down their noses at anyone. You would also hope they'd be a little less judgmental given how many people condescend to them, especially in my part of the country where you're basically deemed worthless if you don't have some sort of white collar role (and it must be a 'career', not a mere job!)

Nikita, I'm also sorry about how you were treated by other forum members when you articulated your own experiences with retail workers. As it goes I myself work in a supermarket, as I've also worked in a number of bookstores, and truth be told while it is indeed correct that a lot of customers are complete bell-ends, it is also equally the case that a lot of shop workers help neither themselves nor their colleagues by being complete bell-ends themselves. After all, due to the relatively low pay and lack of status in the retail sector, shops tend to not have the luxury of being able to pick and choose from the creme de la creme of the working population.

I apologise if that offends anyone, but - like it or not - that's just how it is. I'm not saying that everyone who works in shops is useless, because that's not the case at all - in actual fact, in my experience there are people who'd be a credit to any business - but, generally speaking, and as we all know, the most capable people tend to gravitate towards more stimulating and/or better paid employment.

I don't particularly avoid certain shops, but I do stay away from one of my local town centres - Twickenham - due to very much feeling like I don't belong there. It's all middle class people with perfect teeth, so I'm rumbled as underclass literally as soon as I open my mouth, thereby revealing my crooked gnashers.

As an aside, I get what you were saying TC but I've been thinking about this for years... I honestly would like to have my remaining teeth removed and replaced by a false set. I can't overstate how much my self-esteem is affected by this (the funny thing is that dentists seem more understanding about it than doctors), but it goes beyond that... I struggle to eat certain foods due to the (mis)alignment of my teeth, I can't have braces to correct this because I no longer have enough large back teeth to act as 'anchors', plus I have a phobia of dentists (the reason why my mouth is such a mess in the first place...) which would be completely negated if I no longer possessed any real teeth.

Anyway... I always shop in my other local town centre - Hounslow - now, as I just feel more... comfortable... there. Although that's where the Tesco I had my incident in is located...
tesco wasn't that the place under investigation for falsifying it's profits, theres a lot maybe going on under the surface, maybe the staff are worried about they're job security

bulbie

bulbie

No excuse to have treated him like shit though.

They won't help their job security any by treating paying customers so badly they won't return, thus losing tesco even more profit.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I must pop down to Tesco in Hounslow one day and give the security guard a whiff of my post gym undies. I will take a library book or summat, that will probably set the alarm off.

I know, I need to get a life!

SarahD

SarahD

When I was younger I used to buy a lot of CDs, they were always setting off the alarms in one shop I went to. Eventually I started to go to that shop first and avoided the problem.

More recently I have had a security guard who always seemed to watch me, in Waitrose. Whenever I looked up there he was, always just a few feet away. The trouble is if I am being watched I feel guilty and maybe start to look guilty...

He doesn't work there anymore.

Probably we just look suspicious...

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When I was younger I used to buy a lot of CDs, they were always setting off the alarms in one shop I went to. Eventually I started to go to that shop first and avoided the problem.

More recently I have had a security guard who always seemed to watch me, in Waitrose. Whenever I looked up there he was, always just a few feet away. The trouble is if I am being watched I feel guilty and maybe start to look guilty...

He doesn't work there anymore.

Probably we just look suspicious...
IMO it is about class rather than being good looking. People who appear middle class and normal looking will probably not get watched. I'm not suggesting anyone here is going about looking really rough, but I have noticed the difference depending on how I'm dressed.

I think Waitrose security do that anyway - I get watched in Waitrose whereas security in Co-op and Sainsbury's have never paid me any attention to my knowledge. But then it might be how I am in Waitrose as well, I never feel like I have the right to be in there.