• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sunbathing in the rain...by Gywneth Lewis

bubbling under

bubbling under

Has anyone read this book, or heard anything about it. By all accounts it's someones story about their depression. I'm looking at bidding for one on ebay...but wondered if anyone had any thoughts about it in the meantime....thankyou.
:)

Tortoise

Tortoise

Hi:)

I have read this book.

Bear in mind that Gwyneth Lewis is a poet and media broadcaster. She was very fortunate in having an understanding partner who was prepared to tolerate and help her when her depression was at its most severe.

To be honest, I found it difficult to relate to a great deal of what she wrote. Of course, everyone's experience of depression is different and we all have different circumstances.

She does give some lists of Do'sand Don'ts,and some 'hints for discernment'. I made a note of these.

Here are the Do's.

1: Remember that depression can't harm you.

2:Remember that depression always ends.

3:Listen to what depression is telling you, and change your life accordingly.

4:However much you blame other people, depression will only take you back to yourself.

5:Learn how to distinguish between your rubbish and what's true.

These are word for word.
She doesn't tell you how you can learn to distinguish between your truth and your rubbish or how to make those life changes, of course. A bit too much to hope for from a book? :unsure:

One useful device she employs is to break up the book into readable chunks more easy to digest for someone too exhausted by depression to wade through large amounts of text. (Dorothy Rowe, please take note!)

Hope this helps. I didn't want to turn it into a book review.

Best wishes

G

grace68

i really enjoyed the book.

but i do disagree with her conclusion,that if you learn from your depression, and change your life accordingly, then you won't get depressed again. that depression is really a 'friend' because it makes you realise what is wrong in your life. that may be so for some people, including the author. but what if you have a disorder like bi-polar, or other depressive disorders, that are not reactive depressions, and the depressive episodes keep recurring unrelated to bad events in your life?

apart from that, the actual descriptions of her depression, and her gradual recovery from it, i found really helpful. and the other day when it was raining, i stepped outside and just enjoyed the feeling of the rain on my skin! i was inspired by the book!

bubbling under

bubbling under

Thankyou..I've found one on ebay and I'm 'watching it'
Not sure if anything can help me right now though:(